Hamilton Ventura: talk me in or out of it.
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hamilton Ventura: talk me in or out of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I keep finding myself looking at these. I'm drawn to them. I love the look, and the iconic nature of the watch.

But I have some reservations. Firstly I can't help feeling like they aren't good value for money. I can't get my head around paying over £500 for a basic quartz movement, a stainless case, and a mineral crystal. Am I missing the point here?

Also, just how small are they? Try as I might, none of the Hamilton dealers near me have ever had one in stock for me to try on. Wrist shots, and size comparisons would really help me make my mind up here.

So what do you lot reckon? I'll probably end up buying one anyway. It feels like one of those itches that's going to need scratching at some point, but tell me how much I'm going to regret it.

They are small. And very retro-cool. And I haven't justified the cost either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody know what quartz movement is actually in these?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Hamilton Ventura: talk me in or out of it.

I'm not sure which one you're looking at. Hamilton also sells "Ventura resissues" with automatic movements and sapphire crystals. I do like mine but find the unusual shape, thickness and uncomfortable strap makes it a once-a-month watch. I'm not interested in getting rid of the watch, but I'd certainly never buy it again. Did that help dissuade you at all?

Last edited by ken_sturrock; March 25th, 2013 at 06:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    I'm not sure which one you're looking at. Hamilton also sells "Ventura resissues" with automatic movements and sapphire crystals. I do like mine but find the unusual shape, thickness and uncomfortable strap makes it a once-a-month watch. I'm not interested in getting rid of the watch, but I'd certainly never buy it again. Did that help dissuade you at all?

I'm interested in the quartz. The automatic is too chunky, and looks nothing like the original, which is the point of these really.

Eta 956.112. I use mine primarily as a dress watch. The "mid-size" is 33mm across (minus the crown) but lug-to-lug (at the spring bar) is 38mm or so and it wears a lot more like the 38 then any of my 33 vintage pieces. I don't find the mid sized quartz uncomfortable at all. What are you looking for as a size comparison? I'll see what I can get close to and offer up at least a cell shot for you. Meantime here's a wrist (um it's on my left, and I normally wear on my dominant right. I've actually never measured my left. Right is just shy of 6.5)

Attachment 1021808

Heh! Just realized I slipped it on upside-down -- crown in is correct for my right wrist, where I'm used to wearing it.
    Last edited by cprrckwlf; March 25th, 2013 at 15:24.

I was just at a GTG and one of the members had an Asian version/copy of the Ventura. I have to be honest, I think they are cool looking watches. I think they have a larger model as well don't they?

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

Quote Originally Posted by cprrckwlf View Post
    Eta 956.112. I use mine primarily as a dress watch. The "mid-size" is 33mm across (minus the crown) but lug-to-lug (at the spring bar) is 38mm or so and it wears a lot more like the 38 then any of my 33 vintage pieces. I don't find the mid sized quartz uncomfortable at all. What are you looking for as a size comparison? I'll see what I can get close to and offer up at least a cell shot for you. Meantime here's a wrist (um it's on my left, and I normally wear on my dominant right. I've actually never measured my left. Right is just shy of 6.5)

Attachment 1021808
    That's all extremely useful. Thanks!

I think they wear pretty tall, and ill probably get away with it, even though my wrist is about 7.25".

I think that's an skx007 in the background isn't it? I had one of those until recently so a size comparison against that would be ideal. Or just anything 40-42 ish, since that's what most of my daily wearers are.

Obviously I'm not expecting this to be as big. I can live with smaller, especially as I'd wear this as a dress watch.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    I'm interested in the quartz. The automatic is too chunky, and looks nothing like the original, which is the point of these really.
    Just checking. I know things are priced differently around the world but, in the U.S. at least, a quartz Ventura is well under 500 Quid. You're obviously not trying to get talked out of this then...

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    That's all extremely useful. Thanks!

I think they wear pretty tall, and ill probably get away with it, even though my wrist is about 7.25".

I think that's an skx007 in the background isn't it? I had one of those until recently so a size comparison against that would be ideal. Or just anything 40-42 ish, since that's what most of my daily wearers are.

Obviously I'm not expecting this to be as big. I can live with smaller, especially as I'd wear this as a dress watch.
    Yup. Given your id I left it there. Sorry about the glare from the overhead. 0130 here and it's a counter in a hotel room.

Side by side
    Attachment 1021823

One on top
    Attachment 1021824

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information