Hamilton vs. Oris
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hamilton vs. Oris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hamilton vs. Oris

I am new to this forum. I am appreciate nice watches but don't claim to know a lot about them. I am looking at a couple that have my eye but looking to make sure that I am not going the wrong direction. I am currently looking at a Oris Aquis (black) and a Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro (silver). Both are under $1300 from local jewelry stores. I was curious about opinions about these makers or models and if one is of better long term quality. I am leaning toward the Hamilton as I think that the Maestro is a little better for dress. However, I can't say that I am a big fan of the Hamilton band. Would probably look to get a quick clasp band or SS band. I like the Oris but a little on the plain side (I like the chrono version better but more than I want to spend). I am trying to stay in this price range. Yes I know these are two very different styles. I would rather have both! Any input is appreciated

Name:  ORIS.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  339.6 KB

43mm Oris

Name:  maestro.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  8.0 KB
    45mm Hamilton Maestro (the one in the store doesn't have the deployment clasp)
    Last edited by TChudoba; December 30th, 2012 at 02:36.

Re: Hamilton vs. Oris

Hi and welcome.
    I personally lean a little towards Oris but there's not much in it in terms of quality and movements and it seems that you prefer the Hamilton.
    You might get more responses if you post pics of each.

Oris and Hamilton are both make great watchmakers. Oris makes only mechanical watches, while Hamilton makes some quartz and some mechanical offerings. Oris' price points are higher than Hamilton generally. Oris occupies a spot between Hamilton and Tag Heuer in price points and with some crossover between both.

The two watches you have identified two very different watches. If you want a chronograph, go for the Hamilton. If you want a diver with a ceramic bezel, go for the Oris. I believe you will be happy with either.

Before you spend $1300 though in a quick google search I see you can get both the Oris and the Hamilon for about $300 less than what you were quoted on the grey market. If I were you, I would either consider a grey market buy or arm yourself with your options and do a better job negotiating with your AD, or find a more flexible AD.
    Last edited by mpalmer; December 30th, 2012 at 03:04.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hamilton vs. Oris

I've owned the Maestro(no date, silver dial) and currently an Oris. The overall build quality is very similar. Either will be a nice timepiece. I'd say Hamilton is more user friendly if you want to change straps as Oris generally uses an integrated bracelet or strap. Get the one you think looks and fits best. Good luck with your purchase!

I'm echoing what has already been said above. Both are quality manufacturers. Oris to me carries the higher prestige but apart from a few models is maybe generally a little more conservative in looks (sticking my neck out here). Hamilton have been releasing some very nice quality pieces recently (Jazzmasters, Intramatics, Thin-o-matics, Pulsomatics) which appeal, IMO anyway, to a more contemporary crowd. It depends what your needs/ wants are, but overall I think anyone on the forum would consider any of your choices very respectable.

I have several Oris and several Hamilton watches... both are great brands. I do think Oris pays a bit more attention to details, so theirs tend to be a small cut above Hamilton. However they're also a price cut higher as well... I have that Maestro w/out day/date, and I will warn you it's a very large watch so make sure your wrist can support it.

-Max

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Looks wise, the Hamilton is better.
    Durability and toughness, the oris wins hands down.
    Its a dress watch vs a diver.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
    I like my money right where I can see it: strapped to my wrist.

Oris- just. 45mm is huge for a watch with such a thin bezel such as the Hamilton.
    Regards Cam

I love both brands but I'd go for the Hamilton in this case. It's got a swiss automatic chrono movement and a silver dial that you can dress up or dress down depending on the strap - that gets the edge over the Oris Aquis.

Love both brand but I will pick Oris.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information