Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hand wind , automatic

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Inactive

Hand wind , automatic

I keep seeing threads talking as if Handwind watches don't exist

You've seem 'em:

"Should I get a Quartz or an Automatic ?" etc etc

then I got mighty confused when I saw this morning - "something something ... Automatic or selfwind" - Of course I realised self wind was meaning self (as in the owner winding) not self (as in the movement winding - ie an automatic)

I'm curious - Are these people just (deliberately) ignoring handwound watches ? or have they never heard or seen one ? or is there something else going on?

Re: Hand wind , automatic

I'm sure many people ignore the mere existance of handwind movements, while many others don't even consider them worthy of buying.
    Then we can read countless threads on winders.... IMHO handwind watches are much more practical than automatics, with 2 only exceptions: divers (for the screwdown crown) and watches worn everyday.

If they are being ignored its a shame i mean how can anyone ignore watches like these

CCCP and watchma like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Self-winding watches were probably very practical in a market where 99% of people did wear one watch only... and I assume in a few years they become the biggest part of the movement production. Thus it's not surprising that people born after the 70's think all mechanicals are automatics.
    Automatic watches are more complex, more delicate, thicker, costlier to service, they NEED to be worn, and usually they don't look very good in a display back... let's hope the handwinds get a little more market share, now that a mechanical watch is a choice and not a commodity.
    Last edited by CCCP; August 28th, 2012 at 13:45.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Self-winding.
    Sorry cccp - just so's I can make sense of where you're coming from: you mean by "self wind" a manual wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    Sorry cccp - just so's I can make sense of where you're coming from: you mean by "self wind" a manual wind ?
    Self-winding is the same thing as automatic. It's a watch that doesn't need to be *manually* winded everyday.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Self-winding is the same thing as automatic..
    You can see where I'm confused in this thread today - 1st post - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/any...ml#post5397522

1. Are there any activities that should be avoided while wearing
    a. an automatic movement (such as in my AT chronometer)
    b. a self-wind movement (such as a Speedy Pro)
    I don't know the speedy pro is a handwind or not , but his statements suggest ones an auto and the other is a handwind ?, where you say a self wind means auto ??

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    You can see where I'm confused in this thread today - 1st post - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/any...ml#post5397522

I don't know the speedy pro is a handwind or not , but his statements suggest ones an auto and the other is a handwind ?, where you say a self wind means auto ??
    The speedy pro is without any doubt a handwind. It's probably the most known one... the OP was wrong. I learned that selfwind equals automatic reading WUS, and I'm 100% sure about it.
    watchma likes this.

Selfwind definitely=automatic but it's an old term mostly used in the 1950s I'd say.
    On the subject of handwinds just about every mechanical I have is a manual winder. Right now I have only one auto in my collection of 30 odd watches. The rest are 50/50 manual wind or quartz.
    The auto is a Russian Vostok 2432 and oddly enough I'm wearing it today. It is slow beat, a bear to adjust the date and built like a tank.
    CCCP likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I personally strongly prefer manual wind watches. I tend to wear a given watch only one or two days of the week, so my watches are almost always unwound when I put them on. For me, the convenience of never having to wind an automatic is negligible, and in exchange watches are bulkier -- for my wear habits, not a good trade.

But, I understand the appeal of automatics. For a person with only one watch, "No battery to change, and you never need to wind it" is a practical feature.
    CCCP and ken_sturrock like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information