Hand wind movements

Thread: Hand wind movements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hand wind movements

What do you think is the best hand-wind watch under $500.00. What movement does it use?
    Last edited by Shogan191; April 26th, 2008 at 22:51.

stuffler,mike

Re: Hand wind movements

Under 500 ? I don´t know.

Under $500 and not chinese.....Aristo Apucto with a Molnija 3603 probobly, an ETA 6497/8 powered tough....maybe used?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you're willing to purchase pre-owned you should be able to find any number of watches that use the Unitas ETA 6497 or 6498 movement. Fantastic movement. There are a few that have street prices right around $500 as well. What style are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    If you're willing to purchase pre-owned you should be able to find any number of watches that use the Unitas ETA 6497 or 6498 movement. Fantastic movement. There are a few that have street prices right around $500 as well. What style are you looking for?

I'm the furthest a person can be from knowing what I'm talking about, but how about these Steinhart watches, now available new for 250 Euros plus shipping?

Militare UT 6498
    El Capitan
    Portugal Mariner
    Two "Back Tie" watches.

Here: http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...d=67&Sel_ID=22

All of these have a nicely finished Unitas 6498 movement, coated sapphire crystal, mineral glass display back. If there is any other watch that gives you that much for less money, I'd love to hear about it! Plus Steinhart is known for having excellent customer service.

Best wishes,

Mike

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmaddux View Post
    I'm the furthest a person can be from knowing what I'm talking about, but how about these Steinhart watches, now available new for 250 Euros plus shipping?

Militare UT 6498
    El Capitan
    Portugal Mariner
    Two "Back Tie" watches.

Here: http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...d=67&Sel_ID=22

All of these have a nicely finished Unitas 6498 movement, coated sapphire crystal, mineral glass display back. If there is any other watch that gives you that much for less money, I'd love to hear about it! Plus Steinhart is known for having excellent customer service.

Best wishes,

Mike
    Maybe the best price but not the best movements. Those Unitas are not the best - ETA is easily capable to provide better movements, one of these Steinharts is even missing the small second feature ? An excellent customer service is appreciated but can´t be set against the movement quality or execution of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    ...one of these Steinharts is even missing the small second feature...
    Not sure that makes much of a difference - doesn't seem to bother people buying any number of base Panerai watches. Sure, their 6497 movement should be the best one that ETA produces, and Panerai decorates it nicely - but they also cost 10 times what the Shogan191 was hoping to spend.

Steinhart/Debaufre have a number of manual wind watches right around $500.

Swiss Army has the Air Boss and Ambassador. Zeno and Ollech & Wajs have watches around that price. Do a search in the sales forum for 6497 or 6498 and see what comes up.

one of the nicest ones I've come across is the swiss army mach 4 airboss. exhibition caseback. its under 500 new on ebay.

But the original question was, "What is the best hand-wind watch under $500.00?" I wasn't claiming that the watches I named were the best hand-wind watches in the world - just the best for under $500. Are there better ones for that price?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll start at the top and work my way through. I'm 60 and have just started my interest in watches. I've been looking at Pilot watches and military watches all week. It seemed to me that the larger watches which are more popular don't look right on me so I've been looking at watches in the 38 to 40 mm size. I see a lot of well known watches using the 2824-2 automatic movement but was kinda hankering for a more hands on approach. Just looking at the Aristos now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information