Is hand winding a important feature for u when choosing mechanical watch?

Thread: Is hand winding a important feature for u when choosing mechanical watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is hand winding a important feature for u when choosing mechanical watch?

I own a few mechanical watch but I can't possibly wear all my mech watch at the same time. So rotating them is the only way. I don't want to spend unneccessary money on watch winder. So in order to keep my mech watch running occasionally. I will manually wind them up and put them back to their showcase. Also at the same time, monitor their accuracy.

For me , if the watch does not has manual winding feature. I will not buy that watch. So manual winding watch will not be a problem for me. But of cos, a mech watch with both auto and manual will be the best of both world.

Will an auto watch with no manual winding function turns u off?

Re: Is hand winding a important feature for u when choosing mechanical watch?

It is nice to have, and to be honest I will get a bit disappointed if the movement doesn't hand wind, but if I like how the watch looks and it has a solid movement then I will most likely buy it anyways. It's not a huge deal to give a watch a few swirls now and then, or even to reset it. Takes all of 20 seconds to swirl and set. Accuracy doesn't matter to me after the first couple of weeks with a new watch funnily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by W123 View Post
    It's not a huge deal to give a watch a few swirls now and then, or even to reset it. Takes all of 20 seconds to swirl and set. Accuracy doesn't matter to me after the first couple of weeks with a new watch funnily enough.
    Problem is I have a few mech watch and I want them to run 24 hrs at the same time to check accuracy or test run. Without manual winding, it's quite impossible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I won't buy a "Shakeo" watch.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Banned

Not if the watch is automatic mechanical. But if the watch does not have automatic winding then yes, very important!

It's mandatory!

Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    i won't buy a "shakeo" watch.
    bingo!

Not important.

Very important to me, but I take price into consideration. I have 4 Seiko 7S watches which are only automatic (no handwind feature), but they were all cheap (under $150). If I don't wear one for 2 days, it stops, which is a bit annoying. My Hamilton (ETA 2824-2), on the other hand, has a slightly lower power reserve (~40 hrs), but if I'm not going to wear it, I give it 40 winds and put it back down. I don't know how long I'd have to shake my Seikos to have that effect.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

I bought my first Seiko a couple of weeks back and although it starts up with just a couple twists, I really miss the hand wind.

My Alpha hand winds, can't see why Seiko does not have that feature.
    Last edited by vr6gtiguy; March 12th, 2009 at 16:11.
    Steven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information