Handcraft Independent Watchmaker with in house movement

Thread: Handcraft Independent Watchmaker with in house movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Handcraft Independent Watchmaker with in house movement

Out of curiousity ,I was wondering even a mass produced in-house movement produced by some manufacturer has some issue/problem.
    They have state of the art factory. Huge funding for research but yet it still has a issue i.e the Omega 33xx movement.

How does these small scale(as compared to the mass produced manufacturer which normally under a watchmaking group) fair with them?

The handcraft independent watchmaker which produced in-house movement would cost a premium and the price would be many times higher than the mass produced movement . And coupled with lesser funding for research and development(as a disadvantage) as compared to the giant watchmaker, and many other constraint which normally a small scale watchmaking company has, how would it be able to churn out a masterpiece with highest level of quality and problem free movement?

In my opinion, it's not easy to but an in house movement.It requires lots of R & D effort and vigorous testing(please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thus, anyone could shed a light on this puzzle?

V8

Re: Handcraft Independent Watchmaker with in house movement

Giant R&D spending does not guarantee a quality product. If you have people who know what they are doing and care about the quality of their work the result will most likely be a good one.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by tiulei44 View Post
    Out of curiousity ,I was wondering even a mass produced in-house movement produced by some manufacturer has some issue/problem.
    They have state of the art factory. Huge funding for research but yet it still has a issue i.e the Omega 33xx movement.

How does these small scale(as compared to the mass produced manufacturer which normally under a watchmaking group) fair with them?

The handcraft independent watchmaker which produced in-house movement would cost a premium and the price would be many times higher than the mass produced movement . And coupled with lesser funding for research and development(as a disadvantage) as compared to the giant watchmaker, and many other constraint which normally a small scale watchmaking company has, how would it be able to churn out a masterpiece with highest level of quality and problem free movement?

In my opinion, it's not easy to but an in house movement.It requires lots of R & D effort and vigorous testing(please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thus, anyone could shed a light on this puzzle?
    You have a point there, one that the very high end of the watchmaking world does not like to hear. There is no reason why a combination of top quality R & D and quality manufacturing practices would not result in mechanical movements that are both dependable and affordable. Why should watchmaking be radically different from any other industry? ETA's home page sports the title "manufacture" and I think they deserve it.
    le-combier

Time is nature's way of preventing things from happening all at once

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think a good example of what your speaking to is displayed nicely by Nomos. Their a small independant manufacture, AFAIK, that produces their own in-house movement and it doesn't cost a fortune. I hope someday to own one because of these exact points.

RCook

The Nomos Caliber Werk 1, the base caliber is an ETA 7001.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcook55 View Post
    I think a good example of what your speaking to is displayed nicely by Nomos. Their a small independant manufacture, AFAIK, that produces their own in-house movement and it doesn't cost a fortune. I hope someday to own one because of these exact points.

RCook

Quote Originally Posted by le-combier View Post
    You have a point there, one that the very high end of the watchmaking world does not like to hear. There is no reason why a combination of top quality R & D and quality manufacturing practices would not result in mechanical movements that are both dependable and affordable. Why should watchmaking be radically different from any other industry? ETA's home page sports the title "manufacture" and I think they deserve it.
    I totally agree. Spophisticated R & D + Trie and True Designs + Automated Modern Manufacturing Processes + Quality Materials + Good Quality Control = Superior Product.

Take an example.Say a car manufacturing company for instance. A giant company like VW are able to churn out a FSI engine with dual clutch gearbox. Those giant company usually has big budget for research and high end testing facility and manufacturing plant.

So these giant watchmaker if they can produce a high quality in house movement i.e IWC with their pellaton system, rolex is understood.

Thus as an analogy to the watchmaking company, I was quite amazed that how'd a small scale watchmaker are able to come up with an in-house movement despite lack of big funding and start of the art tools for design and testing?

I was wondering how those guys are able to churn out these masterpiece despite of many lacking and disadvantage? Would it mean their poineer really a super genius?

AFAIK, the Nomos alpha is derived from the ETA 7001 by merging the barrel and train bridges into a single three-quarter bridge and by more sophisticated finish and decoration. A beautiful achievement by any means, but not the same thing as designing a movement from the ground up.
    le-combier

Time is nature's way of preventing things from happening all at once

Quote Originally Posted by le-combier View Post
    AFAIK, the Nomos alpha is derived from the ETA 7001 by merging the barrel and train bridges into a single three-quarter bridge and by more sophisticated finish and decoration. A beautiful achievement by any means, but not the same thing as designing a movement from the ground up.
    Yeah, but their newer calibers involve a newly designed automatic winding bridge and another has a dual spring barrel with 80 hour reserve, which although still probably based on the Peseux is enough to justify 'in house' IMO. Plus while they are using elements of the Peseux design, to my knowledge they are not relying on ETA ebauches such as, say, Maurice Lacroix would be when executing a Peseux based movement, but instead manufacturing the bits themselves (?).

I have to question that Nomos isn't making their own movements otherwise how could they call themselves a manufacture?

Nomos movement page: "The first construction of an entire movement earned us the honory distinction of a manufacture in 2005"

Nomos FAQ: Read question 5

It sounds to me that Nomos is a manufacture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information