Has anyone else faced this dilemma? - Page 4
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Has anyone else faced this dilemma?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    This is a smart question. As you said, there maybe some sudden events that would force you to sell your watches. It had happened to me before more than once.

My advice is try sticking with the most classic model of each brand. For example, the omega speedmaster pro, breitling Navi, or Cartier tank.

There are always buyers for these types of models.

Re: Has anyone else faced this dilemma?

Ever go out to dinner? The R.O.I. is not very good. In fact it's zero. But you still get some enjoyment out of it.

With regard to watches all you can do try to buy it right and hope you'll enjoy it for the long term.
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Every watch I have ever purchased was done so with the intent on keeping said watch. However this question has resonated with me as I am shifting towards possibly moving one of my pieces. I recognize that I will probably take a hit even if it is one of those "iconic" timepieces that Beamer82 has mentioned.

As Gandalf the White once said "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide, All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." I really don't see how this quote will help you, I just wanted to relive some classic LOTR moments.
    domayotte likes this.
    A Rolex
    An Omega
    Um Tag
    Un Victorinox
    Uno Seiko

Rangers Lead the Way

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buy only what you want & only buy it when you are not concerned about its resale value. Good luck!

Has anyone else faced this dilemma?

I appreciate all the input. I guess, to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm; ďIím so concerned with whether or not I could, I havenít stopped to think if I should.Ē

I guess Iím learning the difference between being able to PAY for something, and actually being able to AFFORD it.

That said, if I canít get past this, I might have no choice. Sometimes, you just have to do something stupid in life so that you can stop thinking about doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobMc; November 17th, 2017 at 00:57.

Quote Originally Posted by RobMc View Post
    I appreciate all the input. I guess, to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm; ďIím so concerned with whether or not I could, I havenít stopped to think if I should.Ē

I guess Iím learning the difference between being able to PAY for something, and actually being able to AFFORD it.

That said, if I canít get past this, I might have no choice. Sometimes, you just have to do something stupid in life so that you can stop thinking about doing it.

Every now and then, someone comes on here and tells how he had to sell some watches in the (near) past because something came up. Now he's saved a bit of money and wants to buy another watch and would like one that retains its value better.

My opinion is that if you are living in a situation where something happens and he need to sell a couple of (not terribly expensive) watches to fix, then you shouldn't be buying any watch.

Watches and whatever; it's all just stuff.
    You don't need to buy them and the cool thing is that there are interesting watches in all price brackets and good looking watches aren't defined by the price tag.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Buy used from the forum and do your homework. The only watch I'm thinking I might buy new soon is a bronze one. I like the idea of the patina belonging to me.

Iím currently looking at taking a step up in terms of my collection. Reducing my numbers and increasing my quality.

The problem Iím having is this; watches are a huge expense for me. I have a great job, but Iím not a rich man. Iím very much blue collar. As I consider taking that step up, Iím getting stuck on the idea of resale value.

I donít want to buy a watch based on what I can sell it for in a few years, however, I donít have money to burn. If my tastes change, which it might, Iíd like to be able to sell and recover a good percentage of cost. Also, if something were to come up in my life, and I was forced to sell my watches, again, Iíd like to be able to actually sell relatively quickly, without losing too much of my investment.

This is forcing me away from watches I really want, that might lack the resale of say, Rolex.

How many of you arenít buying the watches you want because you know youíll take a huge hit if you have to, or want to sell?

Iím torn between what I want, and what would be a smarter purchase, financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Speaking as another 'not a rich guy'
    Iím not a rich man.
    Me too! Not rich guys of the world unite!

Rob, I feel exactly the way you do. I think a lot about the resale value of what I buy. Or at least I try to determine whether or not I can get back most of what I paid. My problem is that I like odd stuff. Stuff that definitely doesn't have a ton of demand. So the couple watches I'm looking at which are that next step above what I own will almost certainly drop a fair amount in value, and I wouldn't be able to offload them quickly without taking a huge hit.

The only thing you really can do is be patient and make sure you get a good deal on what you're buying to give you the best chance at not losing as much in depreciation.
    Oris Big Crown ProPilot Calibre 111 | Nomos Club Neomatik | Ball Trainmaster Worldtime chrono | Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer | Bulova Sea King

A watch is a personal item, not a vehicle for storing your emergency fund. Life is too short to wear a watch you don't like, just because you might need to sell it some day. Your emergency fund should be liquid - like in cash - and if you don't have one, get one, then - and only then - start saving for a watch. Then get a watch you like.

Very nice watches, that don't cost a lot (and there are many), make me smile, and a big part of the enjoyment is how little I paid. But then, I don't care about heritage, branding, pedigree, or resale value, because I don't have to. It's 2017: who cares what watch was worn on the moon almost 50 years ago?
    vkalia likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4