Has Omega Lost Its Way...

View Poll Results: Has Omega Lost It's Way???

Voters
136. This poll is closed
  • Yep

29 21.32%
  • Nope

81 59.56%
  • Undecided

26 19.12%

Thread: Has Omega Lost Its Way...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Has Omega Lost Its Way...

Figured I would go ahead and open the "can of worms" further. Imagine scrolling through the channels on restless night and happening to come across shopNBC selling Omega Watches. Tauting what a bargain! Do not miss out on this one! 6 value pays! You will never see Rolex on shopNBC, this is one of the big things in my opinion that separate the two brands. Not that Omega is an inferior watch, but I feel this cheapens the brand name.

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?fami...pping-_-Engine-

(unable to locate the exact one I saw, it was a Seamaster with tons of "bling")

There is the argument that Rolex is over priced, but it is the tactics of the "Rolex Machine" that keeps the brand name so strong. Omega could take some notes. I am NOT arguing one is better than the other, but Rolex leads the pack in branding hence the prices they fetch.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Re: Has Omega Lost Its Way...

No, I don't think they have lost their way. They are doing some interesting things with their co-axial movements and are chugging along as usual.

That watch on Shop NBC is a "grey market watch" ...so it wasn't supplied by Omega. If you look at the website, it indicates that the warranty is provided by Sterling Time and not via Omega. This could happen to any watch brand, so I don't think it has anything to do with Omega selling out.

To put it in perspective....our local Costco carries Omega, Rolex (they have a submariner) and IWC. They are all grey market watches and are not authorized to be selling them by the respective manufacturers.

http://www.shopnbc.com/SearchM/Default.aspx?page=LIST&category=Watches|t311&cm_re =SM-_-Omega-_-N&prop=Omega|1506&catprop=1506

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman View Post
    No, I don't think they have lost their way. They are doing some interesting things with their co-axial movements and are chugging along as usual.

That watch on Shop NBC is a "grey market watch" ...so it wasn't supplied by Omega. If you look at the website, it indicates that the warranty is provided by Sterling Time and not via Omega. This could happen to any watch brand, so I don't think it has anything to do with Omega selling out.

To put it in perspective....our local Costco carries Omega, Rolex (they have a submariner) and IWC. They are all grey market watches and are not authorized to be selling them by the respective manufacturers.
    No actually it could not happen to any brand, you will never find MASS quantities of Rolex's being sold on shopNBC because Rolex audits and runs a tight ship (for the good and bad). They will never get thier hands on them and would not be able to discount 30% off like Omega. Costco in the states does not sell grey market, hence no Rolex. Secondly, you said they have a "Rolex", guarentee it is not considered brand new.

The web is crawling with grey market Omega's, not Rolex. Pre owned yes, unlike Omega's brand new.
    Last edited by HelloNasty1; December 7th, 2007 at 07:47.

I think Omega is losing its way to a degree, by jacking the prices up to meet Rolex's and abandoning the more affordable level where they've been for so long. For as long as Omega uses ETA with go-faster stripes, enthusiasts will regard Omega as something of a charlatan (no, a different escapement does not count!) at these prices. Even the Hour Vision is priced higher than established Rolex and Jaeger competition.

This may be part of Swatch's strategy (to fill the gap with Longines, whose substantial heritage is pretty much unknown to the 30-something buyers in Omega's sights) but it's dangerous to screw with the goodwill associated with the Omega brand.

Omega inflated the prices of its bread-and-butter range by 25-30% recently - watches whose R&D was paid off years ago and which cost peanuts to produce - and is about to put a whole range of Seamaster buyers off. So yes, I think Omega is in danger losing its way.

I've been told directly and indirectly many a time in here what a total putz I am for owning a Rolex.
    Oftentimes by Omega afficionados.
    As much as I'd dearly love to return the favor I'll decline.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Can't comment on shopNBC but I can comment on "has Omega lost its way":

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ega#post539745

I think Omega will alienate many potential buyers by the recent price hikes, which I've read on several occasions are simply due to a strategic repositioning of the brand image; the price increases do indeed seem to be rather more than general market trends. And Omega are about to drop what I think are some classic designs in the Seamaster range. Neither of these decisions seems to make much sense to me.
    Steve

For what ShopNBC is charging for some of those watches, you can get them from an AD with a warranty...
    -Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Can't comment on shopNBC but I can comment on "has Omega lost its way":

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ega#post539745
    That speaks volumes......

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information