Has somebody, other than you, ever ruined one of your watches?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Has somebody, other than you, ever ruined one of your watches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Has somebody, other than you, ever ruined one of your watches?

I have my workbench in the garage dedicated to my hobby. It's clean; the tools are arranged nicely; and it's covered by a lint-free soft cloth so I don't scratch what I'm working on. I just sold one of my watches and it was on the workbench ready to be shipped. I just needed to do a once-over and wipe it down. Well, my son decided he wanted to superglue one of his Pokeman characters. Are you cringing yet, because you know what's coming?

That's right, you guessed it. He went out to my workbench and got some glue on the caseback and tops of one of the lugs. Fortunately, it was one of my lower-end watches. But, I had just made a deal and sold it for around $400. I contacted the seller and gave him a refund, but boy, was I upset.

So, any other stories where somebody else mucked up your watch? Let's hear 'em because misery loves company.
    skyefalcon6 likes this.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

Re: Has somebody, other than you, ever ruined one of your watches?

Not "ruint" but dropped and a crystal needed to be replaced. It was the spouse, made her buy me another watch and fixed the broken one. Winna!
    JacobC and Perseus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Not "ruint" but dropped and a crystal needed to be replaced. It was the spouse, made her buy me another watch and fixed the broken one. Winna!
    Couldn't quite do that with my son. Not a winna!
    JacobC and skyefalcon6 like this.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Worst I've had was when my dog was going through his infatuation with all things leather stage--lost a wallet, two really nice (and expensive) custom straps, and part of a briefcase during that period...
    James A likes this.

I had a 1942 Rolex my friend dropped about 12 inches on to a table. The roller jewel popped loose. I sent it back to the seller and they repaired it for $40 (this was back in the early 1990’s).

Quote Originally Posted by larkja View Post
    I have my workbench in the garage dedicated to my hobby. It's clean; the tools are arranged nicely; and it's covered by a lint-free soft cloth so I don't scratch what I'm working on. I just sold one of my watches and it was on the workbench ready to be shipped. I just needed to do a once-over and wipe it down. Well, my son decided he wanted to superglue one of his Pokeman characters. Are you cringing yet, because you know what's coming?

That's right, you guessed it. He went out to my workbench and got some glue on the caseback and tops of one of the lugs. Fortunately, it was one of my lower-end watches. But, I had just made a deal and sold it for around $400. I contacted the seller and gave him a refund, but boy, was I upset.

So, any other stories where somebody else mucked up your watch? Let's hear 'em because misery loves company.
    Luckily, it hasn't happened yet.

If it was standard super glue you should be able to remove it with Acetone. I'm not sure if it would damage any of the gaskets though, so just use a minimum controlled amount on a q-tip or cloth & keep it away from the seals.

Banned

I don’t let others handle my watches nor do I have pets so if there is a mark on it, I did it

My lovely SO is very rough on watches, as she is a sailor and boats destroy watches. I know this as I have broken all kinds of watches at sea.

She managed to bust up the outer plastic bezel of a titanium G-Shock! The watch still works fine, but it looks lopsided with part of the cover missing.
    Salt_Water, fish70 and sailon01 like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

I gave my Dad one of my solar watches because he wanted one. With box, receipt, everything. Later on, a solar watch that I gave to my Grandfather was given to my Dad, and my Dad gave me back my solar watch. I kept that watch as scratch-free as possible while I had it, and it came back to me scratched up! Also, he could not find the box, etc., so now I only have the watch, minus everything else. Kind of ruined scratch-wise. But now I wear it more freely!

I’m kind of do-it-yourself in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    As for the above, if my wife damaged one of my watches, I know she’d feel terrible. I’d want to comfort her, not have a windfall at her expense.
    gav1230 likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information