Has Soprod dropped the A-10 movement?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Has Soprod dropped the A-10 movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has Soprod dropped the A-10 movement?

I have an interest in the Soprod A10-2 movement, it powers my Stowa Marine Automatic nicely.

At the NYC Worn 'n' Wound show this weekend one of the exhibitors mentioned that he was using a new Soprod movement (I did not hear the exact model). This led me to wonder whether Soprod has stopped production of the A10 movement. Looking on Soprod's website today I saw a wide range of new mechanical movements that I don't recognize, but no A10. Perhaps Soprod has expanded their line to compete with the many new 'in-house' movements hitting the market?

A link to the Soprod site: Mécanique – Soprod

And, no A10 under documentation: Infos – Soprod

I hope this won't mean servicing an A10 becomes harder.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Re: Has Soprod dropped the A-10 movement?

Looks like the new M800 is compatible with 2824 cases.

I have one A-10. It runs well.

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 25th, 2016 at 02:41.

Banned

They just renamed it. M100 is the same as the A10-2.

They've added a women's movement, the M200, and one sized close to the 2824, their M800.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    They just renamed it. M100 is the same as the A10-2.

They've added a women's movement, the M200, and one sized close to the 2824, their M800.
    This. It's a greatly underappreciated and beautiful movement, not to mention versatile.

hebergeur d image

I have the Soprod A 10 in my Steinhart. It runs poorly and has sent back to Gnomon for service. It runs very slow minus 30 seconds a day.

The A10 got some bad press in certain quarters so that may be why it won the new moniker.
    govdubspeedgo likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    The A10 got some bad press in certain quarters so that may be why it won the new moniker.
    What bad press? The price? I think that that is the major factor. I contacted them in 2014 and received a price list and purchasing information.

A base A10-2 with zero options was 180 chf with a minimum, unpenalized, order of 1000 (thousand) units. If you wanted less they charged a 5000 chf fee on top of your order. So say 200 (a common production run for a microbrand) would cost 41000 chf for just the baseline movements (no shipping, insurance, tax/duty, no decoration options, no COSC, no engraving brands, etc...). Most micros don't even spend half that on full watches with Miyota 9015s.

So say 200 (a common production run for a microbrand) would cost 41000 chf for just the baseline movements (no shipping, insurance, tax/duty, no decoration options, no COSC, no engraving brands, etc...). Most micros don't even spend half that on full watches with Miyota 9015s.
    Many times it's hard to get a production run smaller than 300 pieces, especially when you have a complex design that requires specialized tooling. When you add the cost of the M100 it can become a daunting task, but I see that as a small price to pay for doing things right.

What bad press? The price? I think that that is the major factor. I contacted them in 2014 and received a price list and purchasing information.

A base A10-2 with zero options was 180 chf with a minimum, unpenalized, order of 1000 (thousand) units. If you wanted less they charged a 5000 chf fee on top of your order. So say 200 (a common production run for a microbrand) would cost 41000 chf for just the baseline movements (no shipping, insurance, tax/duty, no decoration options, no COSC, no engraving brands, etc...). Most micros don't even spend half that on full watches with Miyota 9015s.
    I've seen a few stories of fairly poor and erratic timekeeping on this forum.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    I've seen a few stories of fairly poor and erratic timekeeping on this forum.
    I did a bit of looking after I posted that and noticed that you can date the 'stories' to the time when a particular 'budget' brand started using them. Sinn's been using it in their T2 since 2013 I believe , but the rash of 'stories' originate in 2015 primarily around a single brand. That makes me tend to take the stories with a grain of cost-cutting salt... Bought old, sitting around NOS movements from a broker at discounted rate? No need to clean and re-oil them before sending them to customers, that costs money...

Remember a factory order for lowest possible cost per watch is 180000 chf for 1000, just for no option movements.

Kinda like Dubois Dépraz being called 'crap' modules only because Invicta bought old NOS DDs from a broker, not DD themselves, and had their factory case them improperly without service. Very similar situation to that with the Soprod 'stories'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information