has WUS changed the way you think?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: has WUS changed the way you think?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

has WUS changed the way you think?

wondered if you guys were quite happy with your choices before you found WUS or if the forum has changed your process of thought with regards to your acquisitions indeed if it has radically changed your mind regarding a brand or a watch type you previously enjoyed -for myself it has certainly opened my eyes to some i would not have envisaged owning previously -although i have to say my own favourites have never wavered

Re: has WUS changed the way you think?

I've had a bunch of watches for many years, and only really discovered WUS about a year ago, so this place certainly did not give me the disease (although, there is certainly no cure here...).

In my experience, WUS is about 5% learning about watches, and 95% learning about other people's opinions on watches, brands, and taste.

Which is fine, that's kinda what forums are all about: e-arguing and being e-right.
    Influence is like the wind...

Yes, WUS has changed the way i think in two ways. First, I realize that there is justifiable reason for my enthusiasm about watches. WUS seems to validate that it's a human thing to like them. Second, WUS has taught me that 99% of bigtime watch fans are total snobs. I'm sure it's not popular to say such things, but it's true in my opinion. Personally, I think watches that cost as much as a human rights campaign are unjustified and ignorant on every level. But, it's a moral and ethical decision that I feel that way. We all interpret these things differently, especially on a moral level. I can afford practically any watch, but I just can't imagine spending enough money to fight community problems on a watch when a $1000 Hamilton from Ashford thrills me. Most of my watches are beneath a lot of people here. And what's funny is half of them live in their mommy's basement, or the mommy-funded house, and wear $5K watches like that's normal. If you're wealthy, know a lot about watches, and don't like mine, that's one thing. If you have more money in your watch than your retirement, home, or even car, then you are unjustifiably snobby. I learned about those people with respect to watches by coming to WUS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, I was gonna buy a $400 Movado before I started here and ended up with an Omega Planet Ocean 8500, so.... yea

WUS opened up my experiences, therefore "the way I think" about watches has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    Yes, WUS has changed the way i think in two ways. First, I realize that there is justifiable reason for my enthusiasm about watches. WUS seems to validate that it's a human thing to like them. Second, WUS has taught me that 99% of bigtime watch fans are total snobs. I'm sure it's not popular to say such things, but it's true in my opinion. Personally, I think watches that cost as much as a human rights campaign are unjustified and ignorant on every level. But, it's a moral and ethical decision that I feel that way. We all interpret these things differently, especially on a moral level. I can afford practically any watch, but I just can't imagine spending enough money to fight community problems on a watch when a $1000 Hamilton from Ashford thrills me. Most of my watches are beneath a lot of people here. And what's funny is half of them live in their mommy's basement, or the mommy-funded house, and wear $5K watches like that's normal. If you're wealthy, know a lot about watches, and don't like mine, that's one thing. If you have more money in your watch than your retirement, home, or even car, then you are unjustifiably snobby. I learned about those people with respect to watches by coming to WUS.
    That's a very ignorant view of society in general.. everyone comes from different socioeconomic backgrounds and can't be quantified so broadly. I earn my income through hard work and sacrifice, that permits me to make purchasing decisions within my means. Frivolous luxury goods can also be grouped as cars, jewelry, handbags, stereo systems, sporting goods, guns, you name it. I could argue that your $1K Hamilton is enormously unnecessary and frivolous as well and that your money could go a long way towards a human rights campaign or feed a community for many months.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Gary123 likes this.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Banned

I think a very few members are slightly close-minded but your generalisations and insulting insinuations go too far.
    I don't think anyone has ever actually told the community that they live in their parent's basement, while sporting a PP.
    Mnay of the long-standing, knowledgeable contributors give respect where it is due and are not so silly as to judge a SK007 against a Calatrava or whatever. Anyone who fails to assess a piece outwith it's own merits/ terms of reference is quickly advised of their error.
    My general buying habits are well-known, but I can totally understand why someone who can afford a DJ/SMP would want to stay at that level of quality with their next purchase and it is only to be expected that they will become aware of the limitations of more affordable models.
    portauto likes this.

My Seikos are AWESOME!
    akasnowmaaan likes this.

its a shame that although morally you cannot justify wearing a costly watch you do feel comfortably able to boast that you are perfectly able to afford one -a kind of inverted snobbery there ! im hoping that the money you dont spend on frivolous things is directed to one of the very worthy causes that you have mentioned
    portauto likes this.

OK,all you watch snobs out there please raise your hand..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information