Has your attitude changed over time?
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Has your attitude changed over time?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Has your attitude changed over time?

Has your attitude or feelings about watches changed over the time you've been in this hobby?

As an example when I first got into watches I placed quite a bit of importance on accuracy. Over time I started to worry less and less about absolute accuracy and instead started to use it as more of a tool to evaluate the health of my watches. Erratic accuracy and falling amplitude is a symptom, accuracy alone became a curiosity.

I also stopped obsessing over every ding and scratch. I learned very early on in this hobby that the difference between a new pristine watch and a scuffed one is about one week on the wrist. Now, if I happen to clip a doorknob with my watch, I give it a quick glance to make sure the crystal is intact and then carry on with my life. There was a time where I’d take it off and go over it with a loupe surveying the possible damage, not anymore
    marcmc likes this.

Re: Has your attitude changed over time?

Thought about it and not really. The only notable change is that I’ve now got a lot more time for G Shocks than I used to.
    LaneP, Simon, imaCoolRobot and 1 others like this.

Buy and no longer flip, and buy what I like/want, not just based on the brand, price, movement, other people's opinions, etc.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Spending more time enjoying the pieces I own rather than pursuing something I think "might" be better.

I have been more focused on buying slowly and carefully pieces that I really want and keeping them, rather than trying stuff out and flipping them. My last three watches I bought new, whereas I almost never bought new when I first started out. I suppose before I always bought with the assumption I would later sell. That is not so much the case now.
    wgarbo and AllanR like this.

Common theme from the responses here and I definitely agree... spending more time researching/buying/holding what I really want instead of buying watches that I feel might fill the void and also being caught in a "value trap." That has been an expensive lesson.
    Simon, wgarbo and marcmc like this.

Used to think "Buy Swiss" & "buy expensive" - and for years missed Japanese treasure. After almost 3 decades of exclusively Swiss big named brands, since last summer I have got into Japanese watches, and am so impressed by the quality, price, style & ethos of my growing Japanese watch collection - (2 Casio, 2 Citizen, 6 Seiko). For years you wouldnt have seen me dead in a plastic watch, or solar or....but that was pride and stupidity
    Hidef1080 and Tanker G1 like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

I used to think that Rolex was overrated and that there are so many other better brands.
    Now I realise that while there are better watches, there is no better brand (in terms of branding itself) than Rolex.

I've stopped my purchases; my last watch was Feb 2018 (a Stowa TO2). I don't really need anything else.
    I might likely get a Rolex Explorer I or a Tudor BlackBay 58 should I get a windfall but I don't feel like life would be incomplete without those watches.

My Stowa TO2 is a completely adequate daily wearer. When I need to rough it up, I wear a GShock. When I need to dress it up, I wear a Nomos Club.
    Why then do I want a Rolex? Just to explorer (ha ha ha) the Crown...and if I don't like it, I'll sell it at a profit (or minimal loss).
    Heljestrand and MZhammer like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

I have only a moderate budget on watches. I don't obsess too much.

What has changed?
    Well, I have observed that there are so many Diver watches and chronograph watches that I am almost tired of the style. Almost nobody dives or counts time on these watches.

They are the "new style or fashion" of watches.

A field watch with a fine leather strap has become more appealing.

Hamilton's line of watches seem to be most interesting.

Mich
    Egsise, Dan T. and scooby like this.
    Mich

It's not HOW MUCH YOU SPEND on time,,, It's HOW YOU SPEND your time that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    Has your attitude or feelings about watches changed over the time you've been in this hobby?
    I find that I've become more of a snob. I'm not proud of this fact, but I'm not going to lie about it either.

In the beginning, I could not have cared less about fit and finishing, or about having something uncommon, or a whole bunch of other things that I didn't care about that I do now. And what I have learned is that, the more I've learned about watches, the more I started to care about the minutiae.

Maybe snob is the wrong word here; I don't really have an opinion about what people wear or what makes them happy. Do what pleases you. But...it takes a lot more to please me now than it did when I got started. And things that I just lived with in the beginning now tend to bother me more. I don't know if that means I've become more discerning, or I've simply drunk the kool-aid I swore I never would. But it does worry me because it does suggest that I'm going to never be happy with an endgame piece, because I'll always find some fault with it.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Tommywine0, ajn3323, Nokie and 4 others like this.
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060