Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th POST]
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th POST]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th POST]

It's my 100th post timewatchers!

I have learnt so much about watches through this forum. In fact, I consulted this forum in making all of my main purchases (so far!). I must have read dozens on threads on the Constellation and quartz movements before I got mine. The same research went into my Breguet acquisition, threads on chronographs, the Breguet brand etc. Did these threads influence my purchases? To a certain extent yes.

So my query to you guys to mark my 100th post is this: -

Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you?

E.g. Is your significant other now into watches because of you? Are your friends/colleagues watch purchases dependent on your opinion?

On my part, my wife never wore a watch and now she has 3 and is already talking about getting more. One of my co-workers who wore only quartz watches is now researching watches with an aim to acquire a mechanical watch - he approached me a few weeks back asking what I thought about Longines... last week he approached me for my opinion on JLC. One of my best friends who is a one-watch man claimed that he'll have to wait till his fashion brand watch breaks down before he can get another, as he would need to justify such an acquisition to his mrs, then the watch suddenly 'broke' under mysterious circumstances the other week and now he wants to get an Omega, Breitling or Rolex diving watch. And all of this because of my enthusiasm and because the watch bug truly is contagious. Not that I push/bully people into watches, it's just that I sometimes talk about it and then they get curious and ask about watch brands in general and before long they're on google doing their own research and then asking for my opinion on specific watches.

Do you find that you have affected people around you in the same way?
    IG: mrwatchusername

Main Stable: -

Breguet Type XX Transatlantique
    Rolex Datejust
    Rolex Milgauss
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Seamaster Professional
    Omega Constellation Quartz
    Jeanrichard Aquascope Hokusai
    Seiko Diver's Automatic

Banned

Re: Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th POST]

No. Nobody at home or work wears a watch. Not joking; nobody.

Re: Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th POST]

Yes. Once I bought my third Breitling, Mrs Wessa decided that she wanted a Rolex despite the fact that she has been happy with her Cartier for some years
    It is just a matter of time....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My wife has nothing but quiet disdain for my interest in collecting watches. I am alone in this in every way. Which I kind of like. Ironically, it was a vintage Citizen alarm model that I inherited from her father that kicked off my collecting...

Coincidentally, yes. My wife started researching watches on her own shortly after I got hooked and chose 2 mechanicals (Tudor and Rolex) and a quartz piece (Cartier). She loves 'em. A friend of mine had an Invicta Diver for years, just recently we started discussing watches and he asked for a few divers that I thought he might like. Mentioned the usual suspects. He settled on a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, how cool is that? . . . .
    Fox Covert likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

My wife is very patient with my interest. Have bought her some watches and she uses one daily, mostly Nomos Tangente at the office and Suunto Lumi at home. They look really good on her wrist.

I've also bought cheap kids quartz watches for both of my children when they started school, they didn't wear them much. Lately I got a ladies Citizen Eco-Drive for my 10 year old daughter, she was very delighted to get "a real grown up's watch". She uses it every now and then, had it on this morning when going to school.

After she got her Citizen, my 11 year son was bit disappointed why he didn't get a new one. So I got him an automatic Citizen NY2300-09G with Pepsi bezel. At first he wasn't so interested, but wore it first time when he needed a watch on a scout trip. OEM rubber strap was very stiff, so I put on a blue striped Maratac Zulu. Very good looking combination IMO. Now he's very thrilled about it, even sleeps with it on the wrist. He wanted to know if WUS has anything about it, and was very impressed when he saw pics of "his watch" in Seiko & Citizen forum. A new WIS in the making.

And I also got one of my friend heavily into watches. He was slightly interested in them, but hadn't made any "real watch" purchases. I supplied some suggestions and info, and off he went big time. Now has way more impressive collection than I do, never would have guessed that level of involvement...
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

No, definitively not.

I'm sure my wife loves me, but, not my watches. I'd rather not say what she said she will do with my watches when i die.

My friends are mildly curious about my watches but I've learned not to talk to much about them when I see their OMG here we go expressions. As regards the wife, well she can't understand why I want more than one! So I hide some of them and when she notices a new one I just tell her its an old one that I don't wear much!

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th P...

My wife never wore a watch until I started really getting into watches myself. Over the past year she has amassed a small collection of nice watches (both auto and quartz) and is snobbish about fashion brands vs real watch companies. I am probably an enabler in this respect, which runs counter to my own interest because it depletes what I thought was my watch fund...

Also, my 2 year old daughter loves watches. I gave her an old broken Seiko that I got for high school graduation and she loves wearing it. She will put it on and then insist my wife and I wear our watches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Laparoscopic Yoda; May 14th, 2014 at 12:38.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information