Have Rolex Lost their way?

Thread: Have Rolex Lost their way?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Have Rolex Lost their way?

This could be just me but When I walk past a Rolex shop which I have been doing for 35 years, I now do not expect to see anything new.

Omega yes, Breightling Yes, other companies yes Rolex NO.

Back in the seventies I would drool over the same watches that are available today and the same cases, and the same technology.

What made Rolex special then was a company that innovated, that produced new and exciting models etc.,

Today I see nothing new This may be just me but where is the excitement the commitment to the future to the heritage.

I see a company that is a Swiss cash cow. There are better mechanical watches, prettier watches out there with more soul.

I would like to own a Rolex that I could be proud of, that had advanced in the last 30 odd years.

Would the founders of Rolex approve of todays very boring Directors even by Swiss standards.

Maybe I have missed something but the only thing I can remember seeing is a new green bezel.

Not bad on a 40 million pound research budget.

stuffler,mike

Re: Have Rolex Lost their way?

Well, mentioning the green bezel SUB and not mentioning the Basel 2007 novelties make me curious if you follow Rolex closely ?

Just to remember: Rolex Xacht Master II; Milgauss
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know how to say it in Swiss but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Really, why do they have to change, they are selling them as fast as they want to, regulating the price, and have created a reputation (and yes, many would agree with you that it is not deserved but that's not the point)and brand recognition second to none.

Oh, what about that new fangled saphire crystal? And getting rid of the little holes in the sides of the lugs? and those are just the MAJOR changes in the last 35 years, there are lots of minor changes too........
    Don

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You caught me whiule I was typing Mike. But doesn't the Milgauss date back to the '50's?
    Don

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    You caught me whiule I was typing Mike. But doesn't the Milgauss date back to the '50's?
    Don

Sure, but this one in the pic is the 2007 re-launch. Re-considering a watch/a watch design doesn´t mean they do not innovate.

These days, Rolex innovations are restricted to marketing innovations. They are making money hand-over-fist, why would they invest in new technical innovations? Like IBM in 1980, they own the market, why innovate?

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by snorkeler View Post
    These days, Rolex innovations are restricted to marketing innovations. They are making money hand-over-fist, why would they invest in new technical innovations? Like IBM in 1980, they own the market, why innovate?
    What about changing from 316L to 904 (X1NiCrMoCu25-20-5).Innovative move or not ?

Excursus:Stainless steel 904L is resistant to pitting corrosion, 316L is not.

DMB
    Banned

Nonesense, Rolex is constantly adding more bling.

- David
    Last edited by DMB; November 28th, 2007 at 03:28. Reason: more bling

I had the opportunity recently to buy a two year old steel and gold Rolex sub, for half price, I looked at the case and compared it to my Breitling Intruder "sculpted case" 1997 and I thougt although other people will Know its a Rolex "positive", But I Know its an obsolete watch stamped out of a steel block with minimal finishing for the price, and a movement that is not very accurate and I thought no.

There are so many great watches being made today, and while there are a few Rolex models I Like the Yaught Master is one, (Mike, I believe IWC were the first company to make antimagnetic watches in the 1930's) As a lover of watches there were many brands that were older than Rolex and made a more traditional or more innovative watch or Just more fun Like Frank Muller.

I just feel that Rolex could have been so much more.

I am about to sell my last Rolex I will ever own. I am sick and tired of a watch that has become so commonplace that I truly dislike the brand. The lack of quality is quite apparant when comparing a Rolex to Omega and many other "lesser" brands. I personally will never buy another.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information