Have you ever bought a watch that reset your expectations for all future watche
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doboji
  • 1 Post By metallic

Thread: Have you ever bought a watch that reset your expectations for all future watche

Have you ever bought a watch that wasn't even on your radar and only after months have passed realize that it has changed your watch buying criteria completely?

I bought a Sub-C ND a few months ago after walking into an AD and casually browsing the selection. I didn't have any intention of buying but I was so impressed with the watch that I ended up taking one home a couple weeks later.

I was pleased, but I never considered it the ultimate watch- Partly because the marketing irks me and partly because the design is as common as herpes. However, recently I seem to have lost interest in many other watches that previously would have been must haves, mostly because when I ask myself whether I'd prefer wearing it instead of the Sub, the answer is no.

Why?

1) Because the sub is extremely comfortable thanks to a good case design and an awesome bracelet. It seems like such a simple thing to get right, but few watches 40mm and up do. If a watch isn't comparable in comfort to the sub I'm not interested.

2) It's built like a tank and I don't have to worry about getting it serviced. Yes, the service is expensive, but even in my Podunk town I have choices. For a watch I'm wearing every day these are great qualities. Many brands I really like require trusting US mail or international mail to get it serviced. That's a big pain. Extra big pain if the watch isn't robust.

3) The quality is exceptional. Bargain? Heck no but I believe it offers value comparable to other watches in the same price range and better than many.

Will
    Last edited by Will_f; March 25th, 2013 at 04:04.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Re: Have you ever bought a watch that reset your expectations for all future watche

I kind of feel like my collection has genres that I sort of climb the ladder within. Eventually I reach the top of the ladder which essentially means I own the timepiece I like the best of all timepieces within that genre (that I know about). Once you hit that point... it's really hard to consider buying any watches "lower" on that personal perception ladder. Actually I suppose thats true of any watch I own in any "genre".... I mean why buy another watch that you like less that you'd wear under the same circumstances?
    Will_f likes this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Re: Have you ever bought a watch that reset your expectations for all future watche

I bought a Rolex Sub C (with date/cyclops) as well. Never have been much of a Rolex guy but I figured I would try it, easy to sell if I didn't like it. Extremely impressed. Truly a great watch. A likely keeper forever and I tend to flip. I can even live with the cyclops.
    Will_f likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
    I kind of feel like my collection has genres that I sort of climb the ladder within. Eventually I reach the top of the ladder which essentially means I own the timepiece I like the best of all timepieces within that genre (that I know about). Once you hit that point... it's really hard to consider buying any watches "lower" on that personal perception ladder. Actually I suppose thats true of any watch I own in any "genre".... I mean why buy another watch that you like less that you'd wear under the same circumstances?
    I'll buy that.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

I hear you. For me it was the sub 16613 TT in blue and gold. Nothing ever felt the same again. My PO, Aqua Terra, Speedy, El Primero. They just didn't feel the same.
    "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci

I call it as an epiphany watch,the watch that did it for me was Pam 441 (for the more expensive watch) and Gshock aviation GW A1030A for Gshock
    After Pam 441,I have smaller desire to buy even more expensive pieces,though I kinda like Tudor Pelagos or Sinn U1 or Nomos Club

For me, it was the Seamaster Professional 300M. After wearing that, I realized that the bracelet is just as important as the watch head itself, and I hated the polished links on the SMP bracelet. The bracelet is distinct, but a little too flashy for me. The brushed bracelet on the Planet Ocean is perfect. I could never buy a watch with PCLs, like the GMT Master II. The bracelet would just bother me too much.

Thread Information