Have you ever overlooked one of your watches, then rediscovered your love for it?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Have you ever overlooked one of your watches, then rediscovered your love for it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Have you ever overlooked one of your watches, then rediscovered your love for it?

Weird question, I know....but this has just happened to me.

I have always loved watches, since I was a teenager. Unfortunately I never knew much about them and pretty much knew of the brands I would see in the watch sections of department stores. This was before I found this forum and became "enlightened."

So for my birthday 5 years ago my then fiancé, now wife told me she wanted to buy me a watch. We went down to Bloomingdales and the second I walked up to the glass case my eyes went straight to a white faces Baume et Mercier Riviera. I couldn't take my eyes off of it and decided then and there that I had found my birthday watch.
    At the time I didn't even know much about what an automatic watch was, every watch I ever owned before was a quartz.
    So I picked up this beautiful quartz dress watch and wore it with my suit to work for months with great pride.

About 6 months later I found this forum and after much reading found myself looking down upon my "quartz" watch. Upon the purchase of an automatic (my Montblanc) I pretty much stopped wearing the Baume et Mercier. It found its way to my watch box and there it stayed. I eventually added more automatics to my collection and slowly forgot about the B&M.
    Recently I decided that I needed a white face dress watch. All of my automatics were black faced , so I figured it would be good to diversify and I targeted a Nomos Tangente to buy soon.
    Then one day a strange thing happened. While taking another watch out of my box, I decided to just take out and try on the Baume et Mercier again. I needed to go extra dressy for a special occasion and I thought its slim profile would work better than my automatics.
    I tried the watch on and *BOOM* I remembered why I was so taken back by the watch in the first place.
    Yes, its quartz. Yes, it isn't a JLC or a Zenith or a Glashutte Original, but you know something it is one damn good looking, simple yet beautiful watch.
    The battery has since died and I am looking to replace that this weekend.
    I am so happy that I gave this watch another chance...it isn't the Nomos that I wanted and will eventually get, but I am so happy that I have re-discovered this watch and it is firmly back in my rotation.

Sorry for the rant, I was just curious if anyone else experienced something like this?

Oh and here are some pics I took this morning on my iPhone of the watch....

Name:  Baume.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  46.9 KBName:  Baume closeup.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  56.0 KBName:  Baume side.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  51.4 KBName:  Baume side2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  45.2 KB
    Popoki Nui likes this.

Panerai PAM177
    Bell & Ross BR 03-92 Phantom
    Anonimo Militare 2010 Automatico

Montblanc Sport Chronograph Automatic
    Maratac Pilot 2012
    Magrette Regatarre 2011
    Baume & Mercier Riviera

Re: Have you ever overlooked one of your watches, then rediscovered your love for it?

Yup,and two watches instead of only one...
    These are the watches

There were times when I felt very reluctant to wear these two,but when I got bored with my watches,I started to wear both of them and rediscover that I still like them
    CMTFR likes this.

Re: Have you ever overlooked one of your watches, then rediscovered your love for it?

Yes, this Valjoux 7733.

Name:  Mestril Cronógrafo Manual  18.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  132.1 KB

Was - unreasonably - negleted for almost 40 years. Not anymore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    Yup,and two watches instead of only one...
    These are the watches

There were times when I felt very reluctant to wear these two,but when I got bored with my watches,I started to wear both of them and rediscover that I still like them
    And it's not difficult to see why!
    Synequano likes this.

To be truthful no. All my watches are much loved and drooled over.

Yes did this very recently with my Omega PO, was seriously considering selling it but put it on last weekend and thought 'Absolutely no way is this going!'

I've had my Dynamic for quite a few years now. It has spent long periods of time unworn, and I've thought of selling it a couple of times, only to rediscover my love for it. Most recently when I tried it on a new strap.

Somehow I think I'll need to buy a few more watches and then get back to ya. Although I don't wear all my watches equally at all, I don't buy watches unless it is almost certain that there is more than one thing I will always like about it. Once I get to the stage where I'm buying watches similar to what I already have - then it might become a problem. (Although a fantastic problem!).
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Happens to me too....a lot. It's one of the reasons I've slowed way down in buying new watches, apart from the occasional Swatch or G-Shock impulse buy. I love that reconnected, falling-in-love-again feeling with watches I haven't worn in a long time.

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

This happens to me a lot and it's why I don't sell my watches.

But I am thinking about dropping a couple of pieces to fund an FP Journe!
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information