Have you ever randomly met another WIS?

Thread: Have you ever randomly met another WIS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Have you ever randomly met another WIS?

Hey, I am kinda new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself and pose a question. I have spent literally the past three months incessantly surfing and reading this forum while procrastinating doing actual work (I am an undergrad so a large portion of my time is spent in procrastination). It has gotten to the point that my friends look at me weird when I talk about watches.
    Anyways, back to my question, have any of you randomly met someone who was as much a WIS as you are? Or to put it differently, are there are a lot of people like us?
    Seiko 5 SNK809 Automatic, Caliber 7s26c
    Citizen BM8180-03E Eco-Drive, Caliber E101

Orient FER1X004W0 - Chicane Caliber ER487

Re: Have you ever randomly met another WIS?

Welcome to the forum .
    I am fortunate enough to have a twin brother who is just as crazy about watches a I am, so its always nice to have someone close who understands this hobby
    I have only bumped into one other WIS in the last one year I have myself been onto watches. He was a jewelry salesman in Singapore and while my bother's girlfriend was having a look at some stuff, he casually asked me if i wanted to pick up anything for my gf (who was back home in India at that time) at which point she said "all they spend money on is their watches!". The guy suddenly perked up and started talking about how he too liked them especially Omega and had been saving up to buy a Speedmaster. He was delighted to see my brother's white Seamaster. We three then started discussing about our watches and some other brands for a while .
    Whether he said that to make a sale or not, I cant say for sure, but it was nice to bump into someone and chat about watches.
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

I've met MANY fellow WIS. Mostly from doing face to face trades. Then I went to some gtg's. Also at my watchmaker's place.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

yes....I seem to meet watch afficionados when I'm travelling...on planes, etc. always a lot of fun....

Banned

I don't like the term "WIS". Has an element of OCD / autism about it...

But I have met with two members of WUS, and both have been stand up guys.

I don't understand it either, I just use it because everyone else does (the pressure of social norms, using jargon as an attempt to fit in). Watch Idiot Savant does not make that much sense. Wouldn't a better term be Watch Enthusiast (WE), or Horology Enthusiast, or my favorite, Horologically Minded Individual (HMI)...or if you want to be very french, Connoisseur of Haute Horlogerie (CHH). It seems that there is a long list of much better terms to describe what we do.
    Seiko 5 SNK809 Automatic, Caliber 7s26c
    Citizen BM8180-03E Eco-Drive, Caliber E101

Orient FER1X004W0 - Chicane Caliber ER487

Banned

Watch Enthusiast works for me.

I haven't met other watch enthusiasts yet, but I'm waiting for that day when I do meet one. Whenever I see someone wearing a watch, I try to start a conversation (not at an awkward time or place of course). My conversations are usually like this:

Me: Nice Planet Ocean.
    Him: Huh? Nice what?
    Me: Nice Omega.
    Him: Oh, thanks.

I've come to realize a lot of people don't know the model name of their watches, only the brands. I know there are a lot of watch enthusiasts in Seattle, so maybe one day...

Quote Originally Posted by In_Front View Post
    I haven't met other watch enthusiasts yet, but I'm waiting for that day when I do meet one. Whenever I see someone wearing a watch, I try to start a conversation (not at an awkward time or place of course). My conversations are usually like this:

Me: Nice Planet Ocean.
    Him: Huh? Nice what?
    Me: Nice Omega.
    Him: Oh, thanks.

I've come to realize a lot of people don't know the model name of their watches, only the brands. I know there are a lot of watch enthusiasts in Seattle, so maybe one day...
    I've had that exact conversation. Just replace Planet Ocean with Constellation.

Twice

First was last year while on vacation in Jamaica. I was talking to the guy at the front desk, when another hotel guest walks up & asked him something. Ray (front desk guy) answered the question & right away asked him "Sir, what kind of watch is that?"

Of course the answer was "huh? I don't know" turns out it was a Guess.

I then asked Ray "Hey, you like watches?" & he showed me his Omega & we went on to have a nice conversation.

The other occasion was recently I went to inquire about strobes for my work truck & I noticed the guy had a really nice seadweller, I didn't comment on it though. We went back in to his office & while he took a phone call I looked at his book shelves & saw he had a bunch of books on watches. As soon as he hung up I asked him, "You like watches?" & he responded "Oh yeah, I have quite a collection of Rolexes"

Well, an instant friendship was formed :)
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009