Have you noticed?

Thread: Have you noticed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Have you noticed?

...how many people don't wear a watch.

I come from a big family of watch lovers. My father is a watch nut, and surprisingly, so is my wife. I tended to never really care for watches and only bought them when I absolutely needed a new one...much like shoes.

But since I decided to retire my Swiss Army watch and decided to get a nice automatic, I discovered this evil site and all is downhill from there.

In any case, I walked around an outlet mall, then Walmart, and then the regular mall, and even noticed people at places where I work. A lot of people just don't wear watches...including many doctors, engineers, and business friends of mine.

I asked a good many of them why don't they wear a watch?

Here are some of their answers, which I was shocked to hear:

1. I lost my watch.
    2. It is too heavy, bothersome to remember to put on.
    3. Why do I need a watch when I have the time:
    a) on clocks all around me
    b) on my cell phone
    c) on my beeper/pager (doctors still use these things)
    d) with you having a watch on and are with me most of the time

I was totally shocked. Here I was, coming from a watch nut family, for the first time realizing that people were different from us. I have been wearing a watch every single day of my life since maybe age ten. I feel naked without a watch on. On those rare days I go out without a watch, I am miserable because I feel like something is missing and it bugs the living hell out of me to not have a watch on.

We are not the norm. We are special.
    Last edited by pradeep1; September 5th, 2009 at 19:14.

Re: Have you noticed?

True.

A lot of them do not wear a watch.
    The reasons you have mentioned are perfect!
    I have recently gifted my brother a Nice Timex expedition compass (quartz ) for his wedding. He often complains to me it being the heaviest.
    I'm not sure if all these non-wearers will ever be able to even smell our big and massive divers.

Yeah most people do not wear watches. It is also probably true that one doesn't really need to know the exact time to get most things done in everyday life, and there are clocks everywhere - in the car, on the cell phone, etc...

The weight of watches is all relative. I like big heavy divers, and their weight is transparent to me now. Others would claim its too heavy. Different preferences, and thats perfectly fine with me!
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Went without wearing a watch for years. You can get through life on time, anywhere, perfectly well without one. The bottom line is they're nothing more than jewellery and only rarely serve any practical purpose these days. They sell in the milliions because we live in a consumer society that is driven by time and tend to like expensive things that 'do stuff' we can kid ourselves we need. Being 'into' watches is just another fetish, plain and simple. Wouldn't be without my little collection, though!
    Last edited by Barry H; September 5th, 2009 at 12:20.

Better not park in Seattle without a watch! The mayor will get another $35 from you.

When I see a person without a watch, I immediately form a judgment about them. Not only are they less interesting to me (because we don't share this passion), but I suspect that time and the notion of being on time (which is a way that we show respect for others) is not terribly important to them.

Sure they can get the time off other devices - clocks, cell phones, etc. But those items are not always close at hand - there may not be a clock in the room they're in, or they may have set their cell phone down and misplaced it. While they walk around looking for a clock, or dig through their pockets trying to find their cell phone, time's a-wastin'! Whatever the reason, they're not making time (and punctuality) a big priority.

That strikes me as just a little self centered and inconsiderate. I don't really care to know people like that.
    It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got. Sheryl Crow, "Soak Up The Sun"

My collection

I think a lot of it has to do with changes in the culture in the U.S. Reality T.V. and the dumbing down of America are two examples. Our local newscasters speak as though they were 13 year olds. What does that tell you?
    Watches won't ever go away though.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    When I see a person without a watch, I immediately form a judgment about them. Not only are they less interesting to me (because we don't share this passion), but I suspect that time and the notion of being on time (which is a way that we show respect for others) is not terribly important to them.

Sure they can get the time off other devices - clocks, cell phones, etc. But those items are not always close at hand - there may not be a clock in the room they're in, or they may have set their cell phone down and misplaced it. While they walk around looking for a clock, or dig through their pockets trying to find their cell phone, time's a-wastin'! Whatever the reason, they're not making time (and punctuality) a big priority.

That strikes me as just a little self centered and inconsiderate. I don't really care to know people like that.
    This isn't even worthy of a reasonable reply. Sheesh!

One thing I noticed about myself is that I instinctly look at the time almost every 15-30 minutes when I am wearing my watch and am out of house. I don't know why, but I almost never not know, within say 30 minutes, of what time it is.

But Barry H is correct in saying that watches are fancy jewelery pieces. One is perfectly capable of going through the day without knowing the exact time or by relying on other non-watch time indicators.

But I still gotta have my watch when I leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post

I don't quite have that level of contempt towards people who don't wear watches, because I have a few people in my family who don't, like my mother. But in general, in my line of work (import, wholesale distribution), if I meet someone who works with me and is not wearing a watch, I feel a level of distrust in their abilities to get the job done. We rely on shipments coming in, items being broken down and warehoused quickly, and then trucks coming and going throughout the entire day and week to run our business. I could not imagine trying to do that without a watch on. In our business, time really is money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information