Having Some Fun - Watch Brands & American Unversities, a Prestige Ranking
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Having Some Fun - Watch Brands & American Unversities, a Prestige Ranking

Wink Having Some Fun - Watch Brands & American Unversities, a Prestige Ranking

There have been lists like this comparing watches and cars, but I'm not aware of any done comparing watches and schools. What follows is my take on this, what I'll call, 'light' subject, not to be taken too seriously. Please note these can be watch brands of any kind, but *American* schools only, thus, no Cambridge, Oxford, Beijing, Kyoto, INSEAD, etc.:

Patek, Vacheron, Audemars - Harvard, Princeton, Yale (the big 3)

Breguet, Blancpain, JLC - Stanford (ultra-high end, but not big 3)

A. Lange & Sohne - Caltech, MIT (obvious technology and engineering connection)

Rolex, Omega - UPenn, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, UChicago, Northwestern, Duke (solid, top, but not big 3)

Ulysse Nardin, Piaget - Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore (top, alternative, smaller following)

TAG - UFlorida, UTAustin, USC, UMich, PennSt (obvious sports connection)

Longines, Baume & Mercier, Tissot, Victorinox, Wenger - UCLA, Berkeley, UWisconsin-Madison, Emory, NYU (very good, all-around)

Cartier - Smith, Wellesley (obvious female connection)

Marathon - West Point (obvious military/army connection)

Sub, Sea-Dweller (true, not brands per se, but I had to go with these) - US Naval Academy (obvious naval connection)

Breitling - US Air Force Academy (obvious aviation connection)

Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Casio - State schools (huge following, ubiquitous)

Fashion Brands like Lacoste, Gucci, Burberry, Nautica - Fashion Inst. of Technology (focus on fashion)

Knock-offs - Community colleges, ITT, University of Phoenix and other online programs (quality an issue--sorry, not to be too high brow, but I couldn't resist )

Of course I'm missing a lot of watch brands as well as a lot of schools, but you get the idea...

Comments? Critiques? Additions? Come one, come all!
    A happy owner of five haute horlogerie timepieces:
    - Patek Philippe Calatrava ref 3919J cal 215PS
    - Vacheron Constantin Patrimony ref 31160/000J cal 1132.2 (Frederic Piguet 810 ebauche)
    - Audemars Piguet Royal Oak ref 56303SA (no-date version of 56175SA) cal 2612
    - Piaget Tank ref 90802 cal 9P
    - Girard-Perregaux Chronograph ref 7700 cal 810-865

Why I love:
    - PP: Founded 1839, oldest family-owned watchmaker, most expensive watch ever sold, at $24MM, is a PP
    - VC: Founded 1755, oldest watchmaker continually in existence, created most complicated mechanical watch ever made, with 57 horological complications
    - AP: Founded 1875, oldest watchmaker still owned by founding family, created world's first luxury sportwatch, the Royal Oak
    - Piaget: Founded 1874, created world's thinnest movement in 1957, the 9P, at 2mm thick

- Girard-Perregaux: Founded 1791, created world's first series of wristwatches, in 1880

Watch my review of my Holy Trinity here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhnqIRg62E

Re: Having Some Fun - Watch Brands & American Unversities, a Prestige Ranking

While I get the military association, Marathon doesn't cut it for West Point.

West Point is so dang prestigious, I'd rather have a degree from there than from Harvard (not that I went to either).

Could we come up with a different brand that has both military association and is of high pedigree?
    Omega Planet Ocean 2500C
    Christopher Ward C60 Trident
    Oris Aquis

Lame....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

No fun

Name:  rs14505,1245546621,gaehn.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  13.9 KB
    supawabb likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

v76

For engineering (especially mechanical engineering), Harvard, Princeton and Yale are ranked outside the top ten (according to PhD.org and my criteria).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Makes about as much sense as equating watches and cars. Which we do every once in a while. That said why isn't Seiko at the top considering the high end GS and Credor watches they produce. The list seems to have been seasoned with a dash of xenophobia and cup of ethnocentricity and removed from the oven way too soon.
    Last edited by John MS; December 16th, 2011 at 04:28.

Thread Information