WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hello all, buying my first watch, wondering whether to choose leather or steel band.

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  CitizenM 
#1 ·
I'm not exactly a watch person - at least not yet - but I'm buying my first watch shortly. I've narrowed it down to four but am now stumped, and don't know what to choose. I'm going for a Jacques Lemans, because I like them and they're affordable.

My main issue is choosing whether to buy a watch with a leather or stainless steel band. Here are the two in question:

Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Product
Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Strap

My next conundrum, if you will, is whether to get it with a white or black dial:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Black

I would really appreciate it if some of you could give your opinion, as I really can't decide at the moment.

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO I like both type of bands.

The one thing that kills me about steel ones is that some show really faint scratches, which drive me insane.
Been staring at this microscopic scratch on my band for the past 5 minutes wonder how it got there.

I guess one factor could be the weather in your location.

I was in a similar debate over an Aquaracer, in terms of what dial color to go with. Only way I decided it was to see both in person.

#4 ·
Here's what you want to consider:

1. Buying a watch with a bracelet is cheaper than buying it with leather and then getting a bracelet afterwards.
2. If you buy a watch with regular lugs, as that one has, changing from a bracelet to a high quality leather strap is both easy and inexpensive.
3. For a dress watch, a lighter dial, white or silver or even gray, will work better with both brown and black leather straps. That means you can easily change the strap to match it to your shoes and belt based on what you're wearing.
4. Bracelets, though some say otherwise, and never really right for wearing with a suit.

So, my advice is to get the bracelet and the white dial.

#7 · (Edited)
Here's what you want to consider:

1. Buying a watch with a bracelet is cheaper than buying it with leather and then getting a bracelet afterwards.
2. If you buy a watch with regular lugs, as that one has, changing from a bracelet to a high quality leather strap is both easy and inexpensive.
3. For a dress watch, a lighter dial, white or silver or even gray, will work better with both brown and black leather straps. That means you can easily change the strap to match it to your shoes and belt based on what you're wearing.
4. Bracelets, though some say otherwise, and never really right for wearing with a suit.

So, my advice is to get the bracelet and the white dial.
But the one with the leather band is cheaper than the one with the bracelet.

Also, I never wear brown, so I wouldn't ever change the black strap to a brown one.

#13 ·
In my opinion the decision comes down to 2 things---what is visually more appealing to you and how you plan on using the watch.

If this is going to be reserved for more formal activities, I think the leather band is a great way to go. However, if you are looking for a watch with some durability that can be used for almost any occasion, then I think the steel bracelet is a better choice. Scratched up leather bands don't look very good to me, far more sensitive to moisture, absorb sweat (which will eventually lead to a rather unpleasant smelling band!), and harder to clean should they come in contact with something like paint. I personally prefer the greater durability of a nice SS bracelet, but I nice leather band can have a classic look that is hard for most SS bracelets to match.

I don't have strong thoughts on the face color, but I think the black definitely looks more formal.

#14 ·
In my opinion the decision comes down to 2 things---what is visually more appealing to you and how you plan on using the watch.

If this is going to be reserved for more formal activities, I think the leather band is a great way to go. However, if you are looking for a watch with some durability that can be used for almost any occasion, then I think the steel bracelet is a better choice. Scratched up leather bands don't look very good to me, far more sensitive to moisture, absorb sweat (which will eventually lead to a rather unpleasant smelling band!), and harder to clean should they come in contact with something like paint. I personally prefer the greater durability of a nice SS bracelet, but I nice leather band can have a classic look that is hard for most SS bracelets to match.

I don't have strong thoughts on the face color, but I think the black definitely looks more formal.
I definitely intend to wear it most days, if not all.

#16 ·
Buy it on a bracelet. Leather straps are a lot easier to get a hold of later.

My vote is white dial - arguably more versatile, even though I don't have a single white dial watch ;)

#19 ·
for daily wear, get the white dial with bracelet. Always cheaper to get it on bracelet then to buy a bracelet later, especially if you want a bracelet with end links that fit the case perfectly. Bracelets are also the most versatile IMO and more durable compared to a leather strap.

#21 ·
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet: clasp style on the leather strap. A deployant is a MUCH better choice than a regular standard buckle, so if you intend to go leather, get a deployant. It will make the leather last much longer without making it harder to take off or put on. And, this is just personal preference, but a deployant clasp is more visually appealing to me.

Another thing is resale value. Many of us have said we'd never sell a particular watch, only to eventually sell it anyway. Having the bracelet may cost more in initial purchase price, but you also should get more for it when selling the watch used...and if you NEVER sell the watch, you could always just sell the bracelet off by itself...

#23 · (Edited)
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet: clasp style on the leather strap. A deployant is a MUCH better choice than a regular standard buckle, so if you intend to go leather, get a deployant.
I couldn't disagree with this more. As someone with a small wrist, deployant clasps on straps are immensely uncomfortable, never sit right on my wrist, and add a ton of unnecessary overall thickness to the strap. I would far, far rather use a regular buckle and replace the strap every few years than have to live with an ill-fitting, uncomfortable, overly thick strap just to prolong the strap's life.

As to the OP, I will jump on the bandwagon and say that if you ever plan to wear the bracelet, buy the watch on the bracelet. It is much cheaper and easier to put an aftermarket leather strap onto a watch that came on a bracelet than it is to try to source a factory bracelet or a well-fitting aftermarket bracelet for a watch that came on a strap.

Personally, though, I think those watches you pictured look better on the strap than on the bracelet. The bracelet just looks a little blingy and cheap to me. If it were my watch, I'd get the leather strap version and buy a nylon NATO strap if you want to wear the watch in situations where leather might get damaged (in and around water, in the sweatiest parts of summer, etc).

#26 ·
As others have mentioned, if there is any chance you will want to wear it on a bracelet, by all means buy it on a bracelet and add the leather strap later. Aftermarket bracelet prices are often more expensive than leather straps (the price difference in purchasing my VSA Chrono Classic on bracelet vs. leather was only about $50, but to purchase the bracelet separately later would have cost me over $200).

Leather straps do tend to look better with formal dress, but I have worn both straps and bracelets with suits without issue. Lighter dials seem more formal as well, but again I've worn light and dark dials in formal dress without an issue. It really comes down to your personal preference.

I personally don't have many of my watches on straps because where I live it gets very hot in the summer and the combination of heat and sweat will totally ruin a leather strap in one season. My wife used to wear straps on her watches almost exclusively... and after replacing them over and over again, she finally caught on and wears bracelets.

Mike

#27 ·
Here are some general rules that may be helpful:

If you can't try a sized bracelet on before purchase, it is usually safer to go with leather. Leather straps are more versatile size wise (the holes usually allow for better control of length and you can always punch new holes). Generally, however, at least with fairly expensive watches (let's say Omega), bracelets offer a better value. For instance, a new Omega on bracelet might cost $200 more than on leather, but the bracelet itself cost $500 (and you can sell it separately and switch to leather quite cheaply later on, certainly not true in the other direction).

When choosing between light and dark dials that you can't see in person, it's usually safer to go with a light colored dial. There's much less glare on a light colored watch which can avoid a particular "washed out" appearance in poor lighting. Thus, light colored dials offer an objective advantage, assuming that you like both colors equally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.