Hello all, buying my first watch, wondering whether to choose leather or steel band.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello all, buying my first watch, wondering whether to choose leather or steel band.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Hello all, buying my first watch, wondering whether to choose leather or steel band.

I'm not exactly a watch person - at least not yet - but I'm buying my first watch shortly. I've narrowed it down to four but am now stumped, and don't know what to choose. I'm going for a Jacques Lemans, because I like them and they're affordable.

My main issue is choosing whether to buy a watch with a leather or stainless steel band. Here are the two in question:

Name:  45c42bc72ac8b9174151036feedc91a7.png
Views: 579
Size:  42.8 KBName:  0b3781de256c3247886b704698e673c3.png
Views: 555
Size:  45.4 KB

My next conundrum, if you will, is whether to get it with a white or black dial:

Name:  8b6bd3e899bf9c0762eb01d2e0301d89.png
Views: 548
Size:  42.3 KBName:  db8cdc36aa49d60a43bdd8ac2a672e48.png
Views: 541
Size:  44.2 KB

I would really appreciate it if some of you could give your opinion, as I really can't decide at the moment.

Cheers.

Re: Hello all, buying my first watch, wondering whether to choose leather or steel band.

IMO I like both type of bands.

The one thing that kills me about steel ones is that some show really faint scratches, which drive me insane.
    Been staring at this microscopic scratch on my band for the past 5 minutes wonder how it got there.

I guess one factor could be the weather in your location.

I was in a similar debate over an Aquaracer, in terms of what dial color to go with. Only way I decided it was to see both in person.

Re: Hello all, buying my first watch, wondering whether to choose leather or steel band.

A lot depends on where you live.

wearing a leather band in Houston in the summer would turn it into a smelly mess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's what you want to consider:

1. Buying a watch with a bracelet is cheaper than buying it with leather and then getting a bracelet afterwards.
    2. If you buy a watch with regular lugs, as that one has, changing from a bracelet to a high quality leather strap is both easy and inexpensive.
    3. For a dress watch, a lighter dial, white or silver or even gray, will work better with both brown and black leather straps. That means you can easily change the strap to match it to your shoes and belt based on what you're wearing.
    4. Bracelets, though some say otherwise, and never really right for wearing with a suit.

So, my advice is to get the bracelet and the white dial.
    AntonGrn and Totoro66 like this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Orsoni View Post

wearing a leather band in Houston in the summer would turn it into a smelly mess.
    So true.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by Orsoni View Post

Warm weather isn't exactly typical of where I live.

How easy is cleaning/replacing leather bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Here's what you want to consider:

1. Buying a watch with a bracelet is cheaper than buying it with leather and then getting a bracelet afterwards.
    2. If you buy a watch with regular lugs, as that one has, changing from a bracelet to a high quality leather strap is both easy and inexpensive.
    3. For a dress watch, a lighter dial, white or silver or even gray, will work better with both brown and black leather straps. That means you can easily change the strap to match it to your shoes and belt based on what you're wearing.
    4. Bracelets, though some say otherwise, and never really right for wearing with a suit.

So, my advice is to get the bracelet and the white dial.
    But the one with the leather band is cheaper than the one with the bracelet.

Also, I never wear brown, so I wouldn't ever change the black strap to a brown one.
    Last edited by CFCArthur; January 7th, 2014 at 17:37. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by CFCArthur View Post
    Yes, but buying a bracelet after the fact would be much more expensive; leather bands are (well, can be) relatively inexpensive, I'd buy it with the bracelet unless I knew I'd never wear it that way.

How easy is cleaning/replacing leather bands?
    With a little practice, you can change a strap in a couple of minutes. Check YouTube videos on this subject, but be careful. You don't want to scratch your pretty, shiny new watch. It is easier to change a leather strap than a stainless steel bracelet. Perhaps, for the first time, you should take it to a local watchmaker, who will likely put it on for free if you buy a strap from him, otherwise he might charge $10 or so.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    Yes, but buying a bracelet after the fact would be much more expensive; leather bands are (well, can be) relatively inexpensive, I'd buy it with the bracelet unless I knew I'd never wear it that way.
    That is my mindset too.

(To Op) Especially if you are stuck between going with a steel bracelet or leather.

Also, I never wear brown, so I wouldn't ever change the black strap to a brown one.
    If you can envision yourself NEVER wanting to wear it on a bracelet, your decision is made. But if there's an inkling, it's worth the increased initial outlay.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information