Hello from Atlanta

Thread: Hello from Atlanta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello from Atlanta

Good morning y'all

I've been lurking here for several months after I saw a reference to WUS in another watch forum that I used to visit. I've recently put a couple of posts in the Marketplace forums and I thought it would be a good idea to at least say hi and introduce myself, lest you think all I'm up here for is to sell stuff, which I'm not.

I've been a watch person since my first LCD digital back in the early 70s. It was a very basic time/date model but I think it cost my father about $100 back then. It's only been in the last 6 or 7 years that I've moved from the high tech to the high end of the watch spectrum. I've been a diver since the early 80s but began doing it more seriously in 2000 so I wanted to get a nice dive watch that wasn't $1000s. That led me to the Breitling Superocean, which my wife helped me pick out. I loved that watch but it lit a fire in the form of a desire to always wear a high quality sport/diving watch.

In 2005, I began volunteering at the Georgia Aquarium and in early 2006, I joined their volunteer dive team and have been diving there at least 2-3 times a month ever since. I replaced the Superocean with an Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono, which eventually fogged after one of my dives and was replaced with a Breitling Superocean Steelfish X-Plus. My watch collection has since grown to include an Omega Planet Ocean Chrono, a Breitling Blackbird, and a Rolex TT Sub. I've been told "No more watches!" I currently have the Steelfish up for auction as I want to use the proceeds from it to help fund the Rolex. The Sub will be my everyday watch...it's just the right size looks so good!

I don't have a lot of watch knowledge to impart to people here but I like reading through the posts from those who do and if I come across a post about motorcycles, computers, or little electronic gadgets, I may chime in.
    Last edited by dcom; November 12th, 2008 at 23:11.

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Welcome Dcom, great background. I've been collecting since I was in my 20's, although I don't think I realized it at the time. For the first time ever, I'm going to have to sell a few watches and I can't decide what to keep, either my Rolex Date, Breitling Chronomat or Omega Seamaster. I never thought I 'd have to sell anything but this economy has me very concerned.
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Welcome to WUS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to WUS mate!

Welcome to WUS from a fellow Atlantan. I didn't know that the GA Aquarium even had a volunteer dive team. What do you do for them?

I haven't been down to see the Aquarium yet, but hope to visit some day soon. Perhaps I'll even see you there! By the way, you'll be able to spot me wearing my Marathon GSAR... :)

Excellence in Doing Things the Hard Way Since 1980
    Tissot PRC-200 | Seiko SNX427K2 | Seiko SNA029 | Marathon TSAR | Marathon GSAR | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Maratac Pilot | Omega Speedmaster Professional

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dials View Post
    Welcome to WUS from a fellow Atlantan. I didn't know that the GA Aquarium even had a volunteer dive team. What do you do for them?

Thanks. Actually, there are well over 1000 volunteers that work at the Aquarium, about 80 of which dive on a regular basis. Most of what I do is maintenance on the dive equipment they use but when I'm in the water, it's usually in the Beluga whale exhibit scrubbing algae off of the rocks or vacuuming up debris. I've also worked in several others around the facility including the big Ocean Voyager tank (6.3 million gallons), the Tropical Diver coral reef tank and most recently in fresh water Gar tank.

The work is fun, but can be hard, particularly on watches :) If I wear a watch, I keep it under my wetsuit because it would get really banged up if I didn't.

The Subliminal Orifice of Underlying World

Welcome, I have been to the Aquarium few times, every time we have family or business visitors, downtown Atlanta, including aquarium, is one of the places we visit. Next time you'll see me in aquarium I will be wearing my JSAR

3Dials -
    There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.

I am the ruler of the attunement to my inner self.

Simply a gorgeous JSAR shot, polishammer! We could have a TSAR, GSAR, JSAR "reunion" of sorts.
    Excellence in Doing Things the Hard Way Since 1980
    Tissot PRC-200 | Seiko SNX427K2 | Seiko SNA029 | Marathon TSAR | Marathon GSAR | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Maratac Pilot | Omega Speedmaster Professional

Jeah nice JSAR you Polak! hehe

Hey welcome to the forum, i just went to the Georgia Aquarium and the Beluga Whale exhibit was my favorite, as was the huuuuge whale shark one.

Maybe i saw you there, there was a diver in there at the time. small world.

But seriously, i think i spent a half hour staring at those amazing whales, by far the coolest animals ive ever seen. Im really big into aquaria, i have a few green spotted puffers in one of my tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by polaco23 View Post
    Jeah nice JSAR you Polak! hehe

Hey welcome to the forum, i just went to the Georgia Aquarium and the Beluga Whale exhibit was my favorite, as was the huuuuge whale shark one.

Maybe i saw you there, there was a diver in there at the time. small world.

But seriously, i think i spent a half hour staring at those amazing whales, by far the coolest animals ive ever seen. Im really big into aquaria, i have a few green spotted puffers in one of my tanks.
    It wasn't me, I won't be back down there until this coming Friday and then I'll be in the Gar tank. You probably already know this but if you dive and want to do it, you can dive in the big tank. It's called the Dive Immersion Program and it's open to the public. It's not exactly cheap but if you've ever wanted to swim or dive with Whale Sharks, this is a way to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information