Hello to the forum, and VSA AirBoss Mach 4 vs. Boschett Ocean Mariner
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hello to the forum, and VSA AirBoss Mach 4 vs. Boschett Ocean Mariner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello to the forum, and VSA AirBoss Mach 4 vs. Boschett Ocean Mariner

First of all, just wanted to say hi to everybody here at WUS! I'm an engineer living in the Salt Lake City, UT area with a newly developed interest in horology, and I've been lurking for some time now trying to research my first mechanical watch purchase; finally decided to stop creeping and join in! Many thanks for all the information this forum has provided me in the last few months, and I'm looking forward to interacting with all of you in the future.

Now on to my question. After a month or so of research I've narrowed my aforementioned first mechanical purchase down to the Victorinox AirBoss Mach 4 handwinder (here) and the (black face) Boschett Ocean Mariner (here). I've found a deal where I can get the Vic (a $1350 list watch) for just under $600, roughly the same as the OM, but Boschett has a deal going on where I can get a free winder if I buy an OM from them. So both are IMO great deals.

Summary of specs:
    Airboss Mach 4
    Handwinding, not sure of movt (says automatic on macy's website for some reason, this is wrong)
    100m WR
    45mm diam, 12.5mm thickness
    Sapphire crystal with AR coating
    Exhibition caseback
    Leather strap with standard buckle
    Small seconds display
    Internal bidirectional bezel

Ocean Mariner
    Automatic ETA 2824-2 gold plated
    300m WR w/ screw down crown
    42mm diam, 13mm thickness
    Sapphire crystal
    316L stainless steel bracelet with solid end links
    Date window (w/o magnifier for me)
    Unidirectional diving bezel

I understand they are totally different style watches, but I'd like some input on the choice you all would make (which one would be more versatile to wear in different settings, movement concerns and preferences, etc.) Thanks in advance for your help!

PS I have a smaller wrist, about 6.25" - 6.5"

Re: Hello to the forum, and VSA AirBoss Mach 4 vs. Boschett Ocean Mariner

Two completly different watches for sure! I have quite a few divers and also a first generation Mach IV. That said the Mach IV is one of my absolute favorites. The movement is a 6498-2 by the way. The Mach IV on leather seems to me to be the more versatile choice, I've worn mine for all types of occasions. Plus it is just one great looking watch in my opinion!

Unless you are planning on swimming or diving with your choice, my vote goes to the Mach IV. They are both good choices though.

The Mach IV is certainly a great looking watch and perhaps a bit more wearable in a suit and tie scenario, but my choice would be the Boschett hands down.
    Well respected micro brand, outstanding customer service, bulletproof construction, very nice diver style (my favourite), very comfortable on the wrist and lots of bang for your buck.
    You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

if you dont' need the water resistance i would choose the mach 4... it's a gorgeous watch and the thought of manually winding it daily just clicks all the right buttons for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both nice watches. Vicky gets my vote. Can't stand the markers on the Boshett. It ruins what is otherwise a good looking diver. BTW, the Vicky is on sale at Ashford for just over $500. Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Thanks for the replies everyone! Any opinions on the 45mm, 12.5mm thick Vic being too big for my wrist or not? Went to try it on the other day at a store that allegedly carried VSA, but that turned out to be a lie and I tried on another roughly 45mm watch, and it was large but didn't seem like too [email protected], how big is your wrist, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Roller.959 View Post
    Both nice watches. Vicky gets my vote. Can't stand the markers on the Boshett. It ruins what is otherwise a good looking diver. BTW, the Vicky is on sale at Ashford for just over $500. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the tip! Do you know what Ashford's CS and warranty coverage is like? I'm not familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Any opinions on the 45mm, 12.5mm thick Vic being too big for my wrist or not? Went to try it on the other day at a store that allegedly carried VSA, but that turned out to be a lie and I tried on another roughly 45mm watch, and it was large but didn't seem like too [email protected], how big is your wrist, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the tip! Do you know what Ashford's CS and warranty coverage is like? I'm not familiar with them.
    Just noted your wrist size. That Vicky is going to be big, unless you have flat wrists. As far as Ashford goes...I have ordered from them a couple times. Very happy. Easy to work with, purchasing CS was easy to work with. They kindly refunded me a price difference when I noted one between their Ashford.com price and their Amazon.com price. Have not needed to use their warranty service, but my understanding is it is a bit better than average. There was one WUS'er who had an issue with a watch he received, and rather than send him through the service department, they just refunded the purchase. Hope this helps.

[email protected], how big is your wrist, if you don't mind me asking?
    .[/QUOTE]

Skibum. it is pretty big, but not overly so in my opinion. Here's a pic of mine on my 7.25" wrist. Keep in mind Iphone shots always make the watch look huge.
    Name:  IMG_0933.JPG
Views: 483
Size:  53.0 KB

That VSA is the business!

Roller.959 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    That VSA is the business!

Hehehe...The Biz...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast