Hello :-) Help and advice needed on Festina watch

Thread: Hello :-) Help and advice needed on Festina watch

Question Hello :-) Help and advice needed on Festina watch

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this site whilst trying to do some research on a watch "hand me down". The story, for those who are interested , goes like this.

My partner's Grandmother gave her a watch a few years ago. Up until now it has just been kept in a drawer and locked away from the outside world. Anyway, lately we have been a bit on the short side with cash so the obvious thing to do was to take it to a "we buy gold" shop and get some cash for it. We were expecting a few hundred pounds for the scrap value but something that one of the dealers who we took it to said got us wondering whether there was more value to selling it as a watch. The thing is that the watch has a certain amount of sentimental value and the thought of keeping it as a working watch and not scrapping it is actually quite appealing.

The dealer suggested that the watch may be quite collectable but said he would only offer the scrap value for it becuase he didn't deal in 2nd hand watches. It is 18 carat gold.

My questions to you, hopefully very knowledgeable people, are:

Can anyone shed any light on whether the watch is at all collectable or would we be as well taking the scrap gold value and leaving it at that?

If we can keep it as a working watch, would we better taking it to a jeweller or an antique place?

I've attached pictures below to try and help. Apologies for the quality.

Name:  IMAG0139.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  40.2 KB
    Name:  IMAG0136.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  IMAG0150.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  61.1 KB
    Name:  IMAG0148.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  47.9 KB
    Name:  IMAG0141.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  33.9 KB

Any help, or even the slightest bit of light shed, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

That is a nice vintage watch and it is unfortunate you have to sell it.

It is hard to say which way would be better to go. Festina is a nice mid-market brand. The problem with selling it as a watch is that it might take you some time to find a buyer. It would be worth it though to check with a local jewelry store and see if they would buy it as a watch as opposed to scrap value.
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Re: Hello :-) Help and advice needed on Festina watch

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    That is a nice vintage watch and it is unfortunate you have to sell it.

It is hard to say which way would be better to go. Festina is a nice mid-market brand. The problem with selling it as a watch is that it might take you some time to find a buyer. It would be worth it though to check with a local jewelry store and see if they would buy it as a watch as opposed to scrap value.
    Thanks for the reply.

A local jewellery store was going to be my next point of contact but I just don't want ripping off. Do you think that if a store offered us the same amount of money as the scrap value that would be a fair price? I've absolutely no idea what it is worth as a watch. If it's worth more as scrap then we are just going to have to bite the bullet and do it because money is very important to us at the moment.

Thread Information