Hello...and some timepieces I picked up at a junk store yesterday.

Thread: Hello...and some timepieces I picked up at a junk store yesterday.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hello...and some timepieces I picked up at a junk store yesterday.

Noob Krono here.

I have started to buy and repair (minor) or replace batteries on watches I find at junk/antique shops, estate sales, etc. I thought I would post some pics of what I found yesterday. I picked up 3 Seikos, 1 Bitunia, 1 Bulova, 1 Citizen, 1 Armitron a cool old ladies pocket watch, a fake Gucci, a fake Tag and a few other assorted fashion watches. I am having a hard time identifying a few of them. Could I get a little help please?

Thanks in advance and howdy from Texas!

Name:  103_0027_zps939cb6eb.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  67.7 KB
    Inside clamshell of Bitunia ladies watch.
    Name:  103_0022_zpsb8cf477f.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  99.0 KB
    Outside of funky Bitunia ladies watch.
    Name:  101_0094_zpsc0f6787f.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  176.4 KB
    Very cool ladies Bulova wind-up.
    Name:  101_0073_zpsb9409808.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  143.7 KB
    Women’s silver pocket watch w/seconds subdial. Engraved and dated 1871. Make: Unknown.
    Name:  101_0085_zps01ff602f.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  136.6 KB
    Citizen Titanium Blue Angels Eco-Drive (needs expensive battery…don’t know if it works).
    Name:  101_0065_zps114d6042.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  119.9 KB
    Nice Seiko Sport 150 Alarm Chrono.

Re: Hello...and some timepieces I picked up at a junk store yesterday.

The pocket watch could have the maker name engraved on the movement - you need to open it up.

The battery for Eco-drive might be glued to the movement. Also, the battery is unusual as it is rechargeable - not sure you can find it on the market. Citizen recommends replacement only by authorized service.

Quote Originally Posted by Orex View Post
    The pocket watch could have the maker name engraved on the movement - you need to open it up.

The battery for Eco-drive might be glued to the movement. Also, the battery is unusual as it is rechargeable - not sure you can find it on the market. Citizen recommends replacement only by authorized service.
    Thank you for your response. I can't figure out how to open the pocket watch. Any idea?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Orex View Post

Oh...and I was able to open the Citizen and battery was a loose Li-Ion cell with a gold colored lead on one end. I have a cheap multi-meter...perhaps I could test it, but I am not sure how.

Your watch is solar powered and the power is stored in the cell. Not a good idea to short it out. The watch may be the score of the day as parts are available for the case. The Blue Angels version you have is desirable. Your pocket watch appears to have hinged covers. Insert an knife, dull please, near the crown and twist. The back should open.
    Last edited by dacattoo; December 31st, 2012 at 19:09.

...+1 on the Citizen. That's a JR3090 titanium Blue Angels edition Skyhawk, C650 or C651 movement; it went for perhaps upwards of $400 new, and it's well worth replacing that capacitor if it is bad. (I have its cousin, a JR3000 stainless (not Blue Angels); it has served me very well for nearly 7 years.) Those capacitors are available (do a Google search for 'Citizen C650 capacitor' and you should find some sources). Of course, that one may still be OK; if you can drop it in place with the gold tab down, then turn it so that the gold tab slides between a couple of contacts in there and fasten it down (there should be some sort of spring clip that holds the capacitor in place), and finally put the watch in some sunlight for about 20 minutes, it might surprise you and start running...
    '...we've got the 17 Jewels that dictate the rules...'

Quote Originally Posted by dacattoo View Post
    It is not a battery but rather a capacitor. Your watch is solar powered and the power is stored in the capacitor. Not a good idea to short it out. The watch may be the score of the day as parts are available for the case. The Blue Angels version you have is desirable. Your pocket watch appears to have hinged covers. Insert an knife, dull please, near the crown and twist. The back should open.
    OK...Citizen is solar powered...thought it was charged with movement somehow. I placed it underneath a high lumen LED and the digital screen came to life shortly after that, however the analog dials are still not moving. Perhaps it needs to charge a bit longer?

I was able to open the back of the pocket watch. The crown/stem does not have a slot that it can slip through (like a modern watch) and looks like I will have to remove it to see the movement. Any idea how to remove the crown/stem?

You might consider sticking with sunlight for the Citizen. I once had a set of boat instruments that were powered by a solar cell, and the instructions specifically said that attempting to recharge or power them through artificial light would damage them.

...Citizen Eco-Drive is intended to charge in any kind of light, but sunlight is the best choice, especially for recharging from a completely discharged state. Fluorescent light is the next best choice, and the newer high-intensity LEDs will probably work well, too...that particular watch has a 'bar graph' display on the left side of the dial that indicates the amount of charge in the capacitor, and it has power-save modes that disable the analog parts of the watch if the charge is insufficient or if there is no light available...
    '...we've got the 17 Jewels that dictate the rules...'

You can usually find these batteries online such as at batterybob. That is where I got mine for my discontinued Citizen Promaster.

Quote Originally Posted by dacattoo View Post
    It is not a battery but rather a capacitor. Your watch is solar powered and the power is stored in the capacitor. Not a good idea to short it out. The watch may be the score of the day as parts are available for the case. The Blue Angels version you have is desirable.
    It's definitely a Li-ion battery. Their spec sheets and instructions describe it as such.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information