WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hello, your thoughts on a watch for a guy new to the hobby

560 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  sleepyhead123 
#1 ·
Hi there

ive been thinking about buying my first proper watch. I started off warning the breathing in the photo. However, a lot of searching on this site has pointed me towards to Rolex milgauss and the zenith winsor. Not sure if I prefer the boutique winsor or standard.

Do do you guys have thoughts on how the milgauss and zenith stack up against the breitling in terms of quality and ability to hold value?

other watches I've considered:

rolex explorer 2: love it except for the cyclops

radiomir655; really like it a lot

jlc master dates; prefer this more basic watch to the mut, master calendar and memovox

go; like the panacalender, again the most basic

iwc; Portuguese

seiko prefer the look of hi beat over snowflake

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
My 2penneth... I'd be looking at the JLCs, the GOs, the Zenith or perhaps the IWC. Rolex and Breitling are both everywhere and if you are concerned about image then Breitling's image in the UK isn't that great.

#10 ·
If Omega is on your radar screen and anti-magnetic qualities are important, check out the Globemaster -- shown here in silver but also available with a blue face. The movement, Omega's most advanced, is METAS certified for each watch. Some WIS don't like the fluted bezel but it's not a deal killer for me -- I have it in the top five of my "next" list:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

#11 ·
Really, any of those watches are good quality. Choose whichever one speaks to you; you don't want to end up with a watch that you don't like as much just because someone on the internet told you that it has some theoretically advantageous feature that you likely won't see the benefit of in the real world. Also, despite what people say about watches as investments to justify their purchases, watches generally do not hold their value well and are more of a hobby than anything.

#15 ·
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the watches you're considering in terms of quality. I would go with whichever one appeals most to you aesthetically. For your first really nice watch, you want something that really speaks to you - not the watch that you think you should want. I do really like the standard Winsor.

Here is a pic of the blue Milgauss. It's a cool watch that doesn't take itself too seriously, which I like, as I'm not a fan of the Rolex "baggage."

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I would say you need to see and try the Explorer II and Portugeezer in person before going for them. Both I find quite different in person than expected. The Portugeezer was really underwhelming; the Explorer II I still didn't like but did feel it was quite different than my expectations. Actually you should try all of them, but the IWC was probably the most dramatic change in opinion I've ever had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.