WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help buying Movado, online versus local shop

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Steviey2493 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I really needed an opinion here!

I'm interested in buying a Movado Gravity (Carbon face, black rubber strap) as it is pretty lightweight and comfortable and a different look than anything I have.

The ordeal (not a huge one) I have is where to buy it. I can buy it online for $360 at WatchMaxx, but of course you don't get the warranty via Movado. I called them and they said a battery swap would run $35-50, and a full service repair on something like the movement would be $180.

My jewelry store here in NYC has them for $600 out the door with the Movado warranty for 2 years.

This isn't a super crazy high end watch. It also doesn't have any super crazy sophisticated movement in it. Do you think it'd be an okay move to save the $240 off the bat? Essentially a battery swap and a full service repair would need to occur to even make it up. I don't know much about reliability of Movado's besides a lot of posters here ripping on them. That being said, I'm not in it for the movement or craftsmanship, just a bit of a fashion statement with a mega comfortable wear.

Thoughts? Thank you!

See less See more
#6 ·
While no one here can guarantee anything, personally I'd go with WatchMaxx in this case.

#7 ·
Go online and pocket the savings. And a typical battery change is $10-15, not $35, or you can do it yourself (a new battery online will run about a dollar and change). And servicing a quartz watch - if ever - is minimal - mostly opening the back and blowing on the movement :)

#8 ·
F the AD, buy gray market. If you don't want to use WatchMaxx, then Jomashop has it for the same price.

A battery swap costs $2-3 if you do it yourself (although you should probably grease the gasket every few years, not sure how long the battery lasts on these.) I have local shops near me that will do it for around $10, but worst case $20. You don't need to ship it off to a service center. It's a standard thing that's easily done.

The movement swap by a 3rd party will cost significantly less than what Movado charges. I can't find specs on what it is, but for Movado you're paying for the finishing; the movement is probably a part that costs around $20 if it's something like a Ronda 705 or other inexpensive workhorse. Labor will run you significantly less than $180, so in the rare case you'd need to work on it in the first 2 years (extremely rare) you'd still come out ahead.

#10 ·
I would definitely go grey market. Even if it was necessary to do a movement swap, you could probably do it much cheaper than the quoted $180 if you just hired an independent watchmaker.

#11 ·
Definitely do not pay $600 for it. If you're okay with used, you can probably save even more. Battery change will be $10-15 by pretty much any watch stand that you find in the mall. Or you can just learn to do it yourself. I found youtube videos back when I had a Movado and it is not that hard. The battery on my Movado seem to die pretty quickly though. I needed a new one every 2 years although it was only in rotation for 2 years or so before I never wore it again. I wonder where i put it actually.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.