WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help: Cartier Tank Solo

26K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  tfar 
#1 ·
I just got a great gift from my wife this weekend, a Cartier Tank Solo Large in SS. I really love it, very timeless and classic design!!

My initial thought was that it is little small for me, but now I'm thinking it's a little feminine because of the SS band, am considering exchanging is for the black leather band.

What do you guys think? Which you like better for a man? Any opinions would be welcomed.
Thanks, Mario.

I have this one:

Thinking of exchanging for this one:

See less See more
#5 ·
Mario, don't swap it! The steel bracelet is very good looking and not at all feminine. I don't even know where you got that idea from. Because it's shiny?

The most important reason is that you kill money by doing so. When you buy a new watch it is always best to buy it with the metal bracelet, even if you want it with a leather strap. The bracelet alone is much more expensive than if you buy it with the watch. The prices for leather straps and deployant clasps on watches are on the other hand usually overpriced. So it makes more sense to buy the watch with a steel bracelet like your good wife has done. Then just buy and extra leather strap of your liking.

For the Tank Solo you can find standard leather straps from all manufacturers. You can choose a tang buckle or a deployant clasp. A no-name deployant shouldn't cost more than $50 and there are some really nice ones out there. At least as nice as what Cartier charges upwards of $200 for. Also you will get an ENORMOUS choice of leather straps from third party companies. You can totally choose what you want and for the money you save on the clasp alone you can but even a second leather strap. Try Hirsch straps or Atelier du Bracelet Parisien for some of the finest straps (abp being cream of the crop).

If you really hate the bracelet it comes with, sell it. You will certainly be able to sell it to somebody who made the mistake of buying the leather strap version and now wants the SS bracelet. ;)

Otherwise, I'm sure your wife wouldn't have offered you the SS version if she thought it didn't look manly enough or that you couldn't wear it without losing in the manliness department. :) Am I right? Ask the wife.

Till

#6 ·
NOT feminine looking!
It looks good with the bracelet!

#10 ·
Wrist shots helped. Thanks.

Still not feminine looking. Bracelet looks nice, too. But you got really big wrists, no? I think the overall effect is a little small. As it is it would be a great watch for elegant nights out. Maybe this is what you intended it for anyway. So perhaps just get an additional black patent croco strap (the shiny ones) and make it a very classy dress watch. Keep or sell the bracelet but don't exchange the watch, see above.

On your wrist I imagine something in the 42-44mm range with a round shape would look good. Is this going to be your only watch and main watch or is it just one of many and you just wonder if it's too feminine with the bracelet?
Till

#11 ·
Absolutely not feminine!

As several posters had mentioned, a shiny Blac Croc will look nice.
Re size: This is a very classy watch, not a Fashion watch. As it is what it is, the size is very correct.

#15 ·
Absolutely not feminine!

As several posters had mentioned, a shiny Blac Croc will look nice.
Re size: This is a very classy watch, not a Fashion watch. As it is what it is, the size is very correct.
+1, I think a black croc would look outstanding on the watch. Then again I love to switch the straps on all my watches. You could wear the croc strap with a suit and the SS bracelet with casual wear. If you dress casually for work keep the SS bracelet. It's a great looking watch. You are a very lucky man.

#16 ·
Haha, thanks all for your feedback...I always enjoy the dialog here and NO can’t have the wife…the watch and everything else I can let go but not her ;)
I do have somewhat large wrists but looking at the picture the watch doesn't look that small. I use my Seamaster primary for day to day wearing (and also my two Seiko digitals), this Cartier would be used only on special days and from time to time for casual office wearing. The reason I thought might be a little feminine was due to the square face combo with bracelet; all of my other watches are a bit larger and mostly round (more sporty watches I guess).

Now I am thinking of keeping it as is....I would only be able to exchange and not return it anyway. My wife really likes it, says it just looks timeless.

Thank you all for your open feedback, I appreciate it.

#17 ·
Cool. Keep it then and get the black croco strap everyone's been recommending. It will be a wonderful special occasion watch.

Till

#18 ·
I think the Hirsch Genuine Alligator, pictured below

or the Hirsch Genuine Crocodile, below, would be a good switch over from the bracelet and a saving on a Cartier strap

#19 ·
I am extremely biased but I think a leather strap will definitely add to the watch's masculinity. Most guys like thick leather bands but for your Tank, I would purchase a thinner one to emphasize its dressiness.

#20 ·
Not a thing wrong with that watch at all, a great look and it'll be just as nice with a leather strap but if it was mine I'd keep the bracelet. Congrats on your new watch!! :-!:-!
Peace,
Preston

#22 ·
Mario, there is an extra bracelets and straps sub-forum. More info than you ever wanted there. There is Hirsch from Austria, Kauffmann from Germany and Perrin (custom abp) from Paris who all make wonderful high-end bracelets of the elegant kind. The American makers are good, too, but they usually make the tough and rough stuff to use with big Pannies. This will seem like heresy to some but the genuine lizard bracelet on my Invicta is one hell of a nice bracelet. It even had quick-load spring bars that you can remove without the need for tools. You can get a genuine alligator bracelet from them at panatime for $50 or so. The deployant buckles are around $30.

Till

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.