Help Choosing First Watch Used or New?

Thread: Help Choosing First Watch Used or New?

Help Choosing First Watch Used or New?

I am eyeing the Girard Perregaux Chrono 30 anniversary (ref: 49480). I found a dealer on Chrono24 who is willing to sell it. How do I go about making sure it is real? This is my first time investing in a finer timepiece and wanted to know the process of making sure I do not get scammed. Is it better to purchase a new watch from an online retailer like jomashop? The Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic (WAR211B.FC6181) is my safe "buy new" option. Which is the better route? Are both these routes flawed?

Background: I would like an elegant sports watch (up to $3000 usd).

Re: Help Choosing First Watch Used or New?

When buying used, you're buying the seller. Make sure the seller has a positive history of past sales. Also, you probably should factor in the cost of servicing the watch if it's a few years old. Buying used means you aren't taking the hit on depreciation which is a big positive.

Greymarket sites like Jamashop are legit, but your warrenty is through them, not the brand. If something goes wrong, it would have to go through them. If you don't mind this, grey market dealers are good options.

If you're new to this watch buying thing, I think buying from an AD is the best route. It might be more expensive, but at least you have somewhere to take the watch if something goes wrong.

Thread Information