Help choosing a watch

Thread: Help choosing a watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help choosing a watch

Hi there,

I had been saving up my Tesco clubcard vouchers (UK supermarket loyality offer) for the past couple of years with the intention of converting them in to Goldsmiths vouchers and purchasing an Omega Planet Ocean when I had eventually saved enough. A recent change to the terms of this offer (vouchers being devalued by 25% if not converted this month) means that I have had to cash in early. I now only have around £1250 of Goldsmiths credit which is seriously short for my original plan. One of the conditions of using these vouchers is that you have to pay 100% of the list price when making a purchase. This means that to get the PO I would have to put in over £1100 of my own money, something I do not really want to do right now.

So I have had to rethink and try to find something closer to £1250. I don't mind putting in a maximum of £500 myself but I think that's my limit. I have looked at their site many times and currently have come up with the following options:

Quartz Omega seamaster
    Quartz Omega Aquaterra
    Automatic Omega railmaster (at a push)
    Quartz TAG Aquaracer 500m
    Automatic TAG Aquaracer 500m

I really want an automatic and would have prefered an Omega but I have to be realistic. I do like the look of the Aquaracer 500m but don't understand the point of the odd looking magnified date (I cannot think of a situation ever occuring where I might need to be able to see the date that little bit closer). I would appreciate any feedback on my potential selections or any other suggestions in this price range as I will have to make a choice fairly soon.

Many thanks!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Help choosing a watch

Omega Raimaster then. Imho simply the best choice out of your list.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

The Railmaster is too small.

Oris Williams F1 Gents Chronograph with Black Dial - 673.7563.4184R

How about the Oris F1?

Oris Big Crown Gents Watch - 645.7629.4064L

Or the Big Crown?

Oris Divers Gents Watch - 643.7637.7454MB

Oris Diver in titanium?

I looked at Longines on the site, but didn't find anything in your price range that's really PO comparable. Oris, on the other hand, has loads of watches in your price range.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

Another vote for the Omega Railmaster. 38mm is just about right for a modern dress/versatile watch and if you have average-sized wrists.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

I would say if it is yout dream to have a PO after all this waiting even it didn't go as you calculate : Go for it
    You will allways feel sorry for the PO and eventully come back for it and save another money for another long period...u get my ideea :)

My 002 $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the advice. I do like the railmaster but was concerned it may look a little too small/dressy. Hopefully they will have one in store next time I look so I can get a better idea. I had not considered Oris watches before, I will also try to get a look at them when I go to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
    I would say if it is yout dream to have a PO after all this waiting even it didn't go as you calculate : Go for it
    You will allways feel sorry for the PO and eventully come back for it and save another money for another long period...u get my ideea :)
    I do still want a PO and will almost certainly come back to get one in future but with the fact that I cannot combine any discount with my vouchers, I believe they are probably worth more if I buy something close to outright with them. Maybe I am not thinking about this the right way...

Maybe I am not thinking about this the right way...
    Life is to short for 600/700 sterlins to make the difference :D
    You'll feel sorry after all that u didn't bought the PO
    I intend to have one as well for next year as my first Omega

Railmaster is nice too and if you will change the bracelet with another one more sporty you can have a casual watch and dressy one

Quote Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
    Life is to short for 600/700 sterlins to make the difference :D
    You'll feel sorry after all that u didn't bought the PO
    I intend to have one as well for next year as my first Omega

Railmaster is nice to and if you will chance the bracelet with another one more sporty you can have a casual watch and dressy one

Me too. Black dial, white numbers, black rubber strap, XL version for me. My brother has an orange bezel chrono on a bracelet.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

Oris watches are high quality and represent a great value. One of the first times I had that "Oh my gawd I effing need this right now" moments was when I tried on a huge Oris Pro Diver (it was over 50mm, weighed roughly two tons, it would have looked out of place of Jeremy Clarkson).

Quote Originally Posted by misterpaul View Post
    Hi there,

I had been saving up my Tesco clubcard vouchers (UK supermarket loyality offer) for the past couple of years with the intention of converting them in to Goldsmiths vouchers and purchasing an Omega Planet Ocean when I had eventually saved enough. A recent change to the terms of this offer (vouchers being devalued by 25% if not converted this month) means that I have had to cash in early. I now only have around £1250 of Goldsmiths credit which is seriously short for my original plan. One of the conditions of using these vouchers is that you have to pay 100% of the list price when making a purchase. This means that to get the PO I would have to put in over £1100 of my own money, something I do not really want to do right now.

So I have had to rethink and try to find something closer to £1250. I don't mind putting in a maximum of £500 myself but I think that's my limit. I have looked at their site many times and currently have come up with the following options:

Quartz Omega seamaster
    Quartz Omega Aquaterra
    Automatic Omega railmaster (at a push)
    Quartz TAG Aquaracer 500m
    Automatic TAG Aquaracer 500m

I really want an automatic and would have prefered an Omega but I have to be realistic. I do like the look of the Aquaracer 500m but don't understand the point of the odd looking magnified date (I cannot think of a situation ever occuring where I might need to be able to see the date that little bit closer). I would appreciate any feedback on my potential selections or any other suggestions in this price range as I will have to make a choice fairly soon.

Many thanks!
    I've used that scheme to great effect with goldsmiths, it is indeed a pity that they are reducing the points multiplier from x4 to x3. One thing you might consider; online goldsmiths do 0%apr. Perhaps you might be able to broker an arrangement that lets you get your PO and pay up the rest at zero interest if you can afford to do so.

If you really want an auto and funds won't stretch to a zero apr PO or the railmaster, have you considered Oris? Not all branches have it, but the chain certainly do so they could get one for you.

Edit - I see Raza beat me to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information