Help in deciding between a few budget options

Thread: Help in deciding between a few budget options

Help in deciding between a few budget options

Just wanted some opinions on a "this, this this or that" question I am having right now. I kinda like all of them in some way to add to a collection, but I have concerns with each and every one so I can use some opinions and view points to help me pick one.These are the contendors

Orient Mako Black on bracelet. Want to get one cos I dont have it in my collection, but have this feeling that I am going to be dissapointed by it overall in terms of quality compared to Seiko divers.
    Name:  Orient_Mens_CEM65001B_Black_Mako_Automatic_Dive_Watch.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  28.2 KB

Seiko SNZJ15 : I kinda like the look overall, but have a feeling its going to be a bit much in person. Bracelet seems decent, I love the dial, the yellow outlines and the markers, but the bezel, I am not sure about.
    Name:  SNZJ15K1.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  78.1 KB

Seiko SNZJ19K2 : Similar design to the previous, but on rubber. I dont like dive straps like the one here in general, and will swap it out as soon as I get it, but the bezel seems less distracting than the previous one
    Name:  SNZJ19K2.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  51.7 KB

Hamilton HML-H69419363 Kakhi Mechanical Green : This is nearly double the price of the others above so thats a factor. The only other concern is that its just 38mm, so I wonder if itll be a bit too small.
    Name:  Hamilton+Men%u00252527s+HML-H69419363+Khaki+Field+Green+Dial+Watch.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  17.4 KB

So there you have it, my selection. Any other options from Seiko or Orient with Automatic movement is also welcome. Thanks!

Re: Help in deciding between a few budget options

I only have experience with the last one, the Hamilton. It's a lovely piece with an interesting colored dial that you don't often find. I love the fact that it's a handwind movement and it was very fun to wind.

You should know that this piece/model has been discontinued, so a lot of the pieces being sold are new old stock. I returned the watch because the piece was losing 30 seconds/day. Amazon probably would have regulated it under their warranty, but I don't know how long it had been sitting around and I don't think they would give it a full servicing. (The warranty service could not confirm what their watchmaker would or would not do... or even whether their watchmaker would do anything about this since their warranty covers "internal defects", and regardless of what they did or did not do I had to pay shipping. I just didn't feel the need to deal with this on a supposedly new piece.)

I'm guessing that you will find the Orient to be of comparable quality and value to the two Seikos. Though, aesthetically, I really like the J15, handsome looking watch. The Hamilton is likely the superior of the pieces, as the price would indicate, though, stylistically at least, doesn't really fall in line with the other 3. If you're thinking that 38mm might be a tad small, chances are you won't really bind with the Hammie...

Good luck!

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Tokyo, Yokohama, NY, Detroit, Budapest, KL...Now a double life in HK and China!

Hi.

I have Seikos (sorry, not the ones you posted), and the Mako, but I don't think you should be concerned about quality...my Orient keeps excellent time, and is built SOLID. You can find tons of reviews on the Mako here on WUS and elsewhere. It should help.

One thing I like about the Mako is that it doesn't scream that it's a diver...but undeniably looks like one. A "soft" (?) diver, if you will, at least IMO I like slapping it on with a white french cuff dress shirt & jeans

Thanks for your replies folks. I like the Mako for exactly that reason, it doesnt scream for attention, its just that I tried a cheap Orient watch once and wasnt all that happy, but I guess the reviews all over are what made me curious, and its I think good to have one as part of a collection.

The black Seiko is out, I dont see the point buying a rubber strap I wont like, I already have three just laying around.

The yellow one is still tempting, but not 100% sure yet regarding looks in person.

Can anyone give me more info on the Hamilton, which series (isnt there like Hamilton Field Mark IV, Mark V or something like that? ) and how old is this model, and when was it discontinued? I am guessing this would be old stock as well. It just seems like a real nice casual daily wear type watch.

If you're going Mako, maybe take a look at the Mako XL. Little more substantial on the wrist.
    Omega Planet Ocean 2500C
    Christopher Ward C60 Trident
    Oris Aquis

Picked up the Mako, couldnt resist with all the great review, just had to try it out, will make a good addition to my collection being a different brand and movement. I'll try and post some comparisons to Seiko Monster, Invicta 8926 and Bulova Marine Star once I get it in.

Thread Information