Help deciding between a few watches, looking for opinions

View Poll Results: Which watch do you think is the best choice?

Voters
95. This poll is closed
  • Ball- Engineer Hydrocarbon

22 23.16%
  • Baume and Mercier - Capeland

7 7.37%
  • Omega - Planet Ocean

53 55.79%
  • Longines - GrandeVitesse

3 3.16%
  • Oris - Diver

8 8.42%
  • Debaufre - Aircraft

2 2.11%

Thread: Help deciding between a few watches, looking for opinions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Help deciding between a few watches, looking for opinions

Hi, I'm a new member from Edmonton Alberta Canada and this is my first post, I could use some help deciding on a watch (this is why I first started lurking on this forum )

I have looked for a similar posting and used the search function extensively, so I feel it is safe to post this question. Please let me know if this is the wrong place and it needs to get moved.

I am pretty active and enjoy water sports,skiing, camping, hiking etc. I snorkel but don't dive. My other watch is a smaller pam homage style watch on a brown leather strap, the rest of
    my watches are beaters I guess you could say my pam homage is a bit of a beater as well although I do get a lot of comments about where I acquired it.

Here is my watch list, please let me know a quick blurb on why you voted for each watch and feel free to throw in any other suggestions on a watch I might not know about.
    I am probably most inclined towards the Ball but I am still very much on the fence and have not had much hands on time with these yet (the Debaufre I guess I never will get hands on with)

Ball- Engineer Hydrocarbon Titanium or other model of Hydrocarbon
    Baume and Mercier - capeland
    Omega - Planet Ocean
    longines - GrandeVitesse
    Oris - Diver ?
    Debaufre - Aircraft ?
    Breitlings? -- blackbird, seawolf, steeelfish?? I know very little aBOUT these and wondered how they compare to the Planet ocean?
    Last edited by 1R0NH31D3; January 12th, 2009 at 20:05.

Re: Help deciding between a few watches, looking for opinions

What it comes down to, what grabs you the most?

I voted PO>>>

but I'm in agreement with watchbreath. It's what grabs you, not what grabs us.

Good luck,

Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I voted Ball since you are pretty active. The Ball is shock resistant and anti-magnetic. A huge bonus is the tritium tubes giving excellent night time visibility. I love the P.O. but could never use that one as a "beater"

But I agree with everyone else, whatever YOU feel is best. Go try a few on and see which one "speaks" to you

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    I voted Ball since you are pretty active. The Ball is shock resistant and anti-magnetic. A huge bonus is the tritium tubes giving excellent night time visibility. I love the P.O. but could never use that one as a "beater"

But I agree with everyone else, whatever YOU feel is best. Go try a few on and see which one "speaks" to you
    I may have miswritten this, this watch won't be a "beater" but I won't take it off during activity (I won't use it in my concrete shop though!).

And yes I have tried on a few and it is the Ball that really grabs me out of them but the planet ocean and the Capeland used to be close seconds. I am on the golf wrx forum quite a bit and this is a common question we get about putters "which one is the best? Blah, blah, etc"

I agree that I need to pick the one I like the best, I guess I better question would have been: Are there any major technical differences that myself as a watch noob would not recognize but may kick myself after I get familiar with quality watches?

If they're all within your budget, why not get the best?
    They're all quality watches but the PO is at least a step above I think most will agree.
    Used prices are great currently.
    I'd get a minty used PO if I were you.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

i would go with Ball EHC if you are rough on your watch. Ball has a well protected crown and 7500G shock resistance (on paper).

also it lacks the outer AR coating (on the PO) to scratch up

The B&M Capeland 1000m titanium diver is the one to get, hands down! Second I'd go Oris diver, then Omega Planet Ocean (only last because it's WAY overpriced, like all Omegas are).

Of the watches you have listed, the Omega PO would be the best. However, there are a few Oris Divers. The Oris Small Seconds Diver and the Reg are awesome! My 2 cents. Oris is probably one of the better values for your monet on the list.

My vote goes for the Omega PO, with the Ball taking 2nd - For the simple reason that if I had the cash to purchase any on your list, the PO would be a no-brainer for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information