Help determine the Raymond Weil movement
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mojo31

Thread: Help determine the Raymond Weil movement

Help determine the Raymond Weil movement

Hello everyone,

I've searched around and could not find anyone mentioned about the exact movement of the Raymond Weil. I've emailed RW through official website and nothing happen yet. They are poor in information on their site. Also, I've read wiki for company profile (no luck as well). Beside being listed as "mechanical with automatic winding", that doesn't give me enough meat for my sandwich . So I was hoping for your expertise or maybe someone who may own a few of RWs....

By the way, how come there isn't a RW forum under Watchuseek "Watch Brand"? Is it because these are poorly made and not worth to be mentioned. I'm new to watches. I've owned a Sharp quartz since 1990 (was the first watch my pop bought me in America). So I kept well maintained and lately it died on me. After grad from college and work for a few year, I decided to get a decent one (2k range). I chose RW because it had incident bumping to it while in college day and promised to get myself one of these when finished with school and married.

Anyways, Thanks in Advance everyone

The two that I'm looking for are below:

1. Don Giovanni Cosi Grande (4878-STC-00268)
    Name:  4878-stc-00268_1.jpg
Views: 8473
Size:  79.1 KB

2. Maestro Automatic Moon Phase (2849-STC-00659)
    Name:  2849-STC-00659.jpg
Views: 8446
Size:  99.6 KB

----------
    My local Nordstrom is having this (Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 s2) at $5400-15%discount. I very tempted but I don't think I'm at the age deserving this yet. Maybe when i get to 37+ yrs old. However, any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Name:  tag heuer grand carrera calibre 17 s2.jpg
Views: 12011
Size:  63.3 KB

Re: Help determine the Raymond Weil movement

The RW Don Giovanni is a Dubois Depraz module on top of a 2824, with jewel count of 51.

The RW Moonphase has a modified 2824. You can find a review for it at ablogtowatch here
    Raymond Weil Maestro Automatic Moon Phase Watch Review - ABLOGTOWATCH

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by bibOo View Post
    Hello everyone,

By the way, how come there isn't a RW forum under Watchuseek "Watch Brand"? Is it because these are poorly made and not worth to be mentioned. I'm new to watches. I've owned a Sharp quartz since 1990 (was the first watch my pop bought me in America). So I kept well maintained and lately it died on me. After grad from college and work for a few year, I decided to get a decent one (2k range). I chose RW because it had incident bumping to it while in college day and promised to get myself one of these when finished with school and married.
    There is nothing wrong with Raymond Weil watches. Some people on here think that they are not "serious" watches, but are "fashion" watches which is why you don't see much on this forum.

I have one and my wife has one, both are even quartz (Heaven forbid according to some). They are well made, reliable, and have a classic style. We both wear them without apology.

If you like the ones you have pictured, I would not hesitate to get one.

As for the TAG, you don't have to be over 37 to own or wear one. But, if you're implying that folks over 37 are "old", then you might want to exit this site as soon as possible before some "old" dude whips you up.
    Nokie and tritech like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks jilgil for an awesome reference.

As for
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
    As for the TAG, you don't have to be over 37 to own or wear one. But, if you're implying that folks over 37 are "old", then you might want to exit this site as soon as possible before some "old" dude whips you up.
    LoL. No I was not implied to being 37 as old at all. What i meant is the milestone of success. Just consider myself too young to be spoiled by the TAG. I was thinking maybe I need to work harder and save up then in a few year down the road, I can earn it w/out thinking I'm over spoiled. Good on the look out. Appreciated, Mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by bibOo View Post
    Thanks jilgil for an awesome reference.

As for

LoL. No I was not implied to being 37 as old at all. What i meant is the milestone of success. Just consider myself too young to be spoiled by the TAG. I was thinking maybe I need to work harder and save up then in a few year down the road, I can earn it w/out thinking I'm over spoiled. Good on the look out. Appreciated, Mojo.

Raymond Weil watches, both loved and hated here on the forum, are indeed a good value for the money.

Excellent build quality and really nice stainless steel bracelets and straps for their pricepoint
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    The RW Don Giovanni is a Dubois Depraz module on top of a 2824, with jewel count of 51.
    Is that a good movement? I have a Zodiac Calame Chrono with the exact same movement and always wondered ...

And as far as RW goes, I've owned a Parsifal W1 since 2002 and absolutely love it. It's a quartz model (gasp!), but the build quality is superb...and the stainless steel bracelet is a work of art. It also has a timeless look to it, and can be dressed up or down with relative ease.

Personally, I like the RW Freelancer the most in their current portfolio...so much so that I would have purchased one had it not worn so big on my skinny wrist. :(

So I bought an Omega Speedy instead. A 39mm watch wears much nicer on my wrist than 44mm. But dang those Freelancers are nice looking watches!

Thx...Doug

Thanks for the recommendation, dgangi. I'm on the same boat with you on the freelancer. It was a bit too big on my wrist while trying it out in store.

Thread Information