Help with an eBay situation, please.

Thread: Help with an eBay situation, please.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Help with an eBay situation, please.

I was browsing ebay the other day and found a watch from a reputable seller with a buy it now of a few grand. Ive seen similar models go for up to double that amount. Given the fact that the seller is well known and has 100% positive feedback (in the thousands), I jumped on it. I paid for the watch, and that was that.

A day later I get an email claiming that they made a mistake, and that they wanted to refund my money, or sell me the watch for significantly more than I won the auction for.

What should I do? I understand that ebay is a binding contract, and I realize that fact every single time I list something for sale, whether it be a buy it now or auction style listing. What exactly is the point if a seller can just back out after its over?

Do I 'force' them to sell me the item? Should I take the refund and shut up?

And then what about feedback? They are currently at 100% positive, so a negative would be pretty bad. Ive never given one before. Obviously if the deal goes through they would get a positive, but what if I were to take the refund?

Is the answer obvious, and im just being stupid?

Thanks

EDIT:
    The seller sells only watches, so they know what they are selling.

The auction was up for almost a year (!) according to the revision log, with maybe 30 revisions during this time, with the last revision being a change to the buy it now price about a day before I bid.

As far as morals: Let me first say that I have high moral values (I think )..
    I think if morals played a role here, I wouldnt be in this situation since the seller should accept the change of heart or the mistake (whichever it may be) and sell the item. When I list an item, I check it, double check it, triple check it... Why? Because I know that regarless of whether the outcome is to my liking or not, I am obligated to sell to the winner.

I dont know whether the seller made a mistake or not--but does it even matter?
    Last edited by RJRJRJ; August 28th, 2009 at 21:54.

Re: Help with an eBay situation, please.

I would try and get it for the price you paid. It's not your fault the seller put the wrong price up. What have you got to loose, at worst he will refuse to sell you the watch and refund your money.
    Best regards from sunny England
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    I was browsing ebay the other day and found a watch from a reputable seller with a buy it now of a few grand. Ive seen similar models go for up to double that amount. Given the fact that the seller is well known and has 100% positive feedback (in the thousands), I jumped on it. I paid for the watch, and that was that.

A day later I get an email claiming that they made a mistake, and that they wanted to refund my money, or sell me the watch for significantly more than I won the auction for.

What should I do? I understand that ebay is a binding contract, and I realize that fact every single time I list something for sale, whether it be a buy it now or auction style listing. What exactly is the point if a seller can just back out after its over?

Do I 'force' them to sell me the item? Should I take the refund and shut up?

And then what about feedback? They are currently at 100% positive, so a negative would be pretty bad. Ive never given one before. Obviously if the deal goes through they would get a positive, but what if I were to take the refund?

Is the answer obvious, and im just being stupid?

Thanks
    Being on the buying end of this transaction plays much to your advantage I'd imagine. Might be worth a call to eBay customer service (yes, they do exist) to see what they think.

Either way, the seller would have to open a case and get you to agree to cancel the transaction.

What watch was it if you don't mind?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So your saying they're calling the ollie ollie oxen free clause to cancel your winning bid? Another prime example of why 'not to use ebay'. There is never a good deal on ebay ever.

follow your own morals. you know the answer to this already, but you posted here hoping to be talked out of doing the right thing.

mistakes happen.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Had a situation a while back similar to yours seller had 1000s of feedback.....giving them one negative will bring their 100% to maybe 99.9... so if they stand to lose a lot of $$$ just concede, One negative won't hurt them...They may have made an honest error. You may try to negotiate with them. If not, just move on, ain't worth stressing over.

mistakes happen.
    Yes they do, and if the mistake was in the favour of the Seller, do you believe for one millisecond that his morals would outweight his insistance that a binding contract is a binding contract? Just Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by sixties.nut View Post
    Yes they do, and if the mistake was in the favour of the Seller, do you believe for one millisecond that his morals would outweight his insistance that a binding contract is a binding contract? Just Curious.
    other people's morals don't change mine.

edit: well now the op has added information which may make my posts seem a little self righteous. i have to be honest, 'something doesn't add up' is my gut feeling. i'm not saying the problem is being inaccurately described, but it doesn't make complete sense to me. i would like to point one thing out that i feel has been missed. there is a "typo" clause that is available to buyers. read the rules carefully about retracting a bid, and ebay does provide a measured and regulated bid 'pull out' meant for mistakes such as typos. that is the kind of mistake i thought the op meant when he said the seller described the auction price as a 'mistake'.
    Last edited by a-Tom-ic; August 29th, 2009 at 01:04.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

I believe your response clearly demonstrates my point with ebay.

To quote a line from an iconic movie:

"You must do what you feel is right, of course."

In my opinion, the seller has to abide by the eBay rules just as much as the buyer. If you had "mistakenly" bid on the item and won, what would the seller do?

Based on this seller's feedback and recent items sold, does it look like a genuine mistake? Also, how long was the item listed? It it was up for more than a day, that should have been plenty of time for them to adjust the price. I know when I list something on eBay I make sure to do research before so I get an idea of what similar items are selling for.

At face value, however, it does seem like a bait-and-switch type of situation. Yet, if the seller does seem honest, I would probably agree to cancel the transaction, or at least I would see what can be worked out with the seller and try to find a solution both can live with.
    matt

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information