Help finding a gift for Dad

Thread: Help finding a gift for Dad

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help finding a gift for Dad

Hey guys,

Newbie here. I know next to nothing about watches. However, I did get a new job. So I thought I'd show my appreciation to my dad for all the years of his support by getting him a watch.

I am looking for a Swiss automatic watch. Please give me two recommendations, one for a metal bracelet and other other on leather. I would like to spend between 500 and 1200. I am looking for something that does not have chronograph. I would like something that has the best "value"/movement in this price range. Thanks guys.

God Bless

Re: Help finding a gift for Dad

Quote Originally Posted by kidwholaughs82 View Post
    Hey guys,

Newbie here. I know next to nothing about watches. However, I did get a new job. So I thought I'd show my appreciation to my dad for all the years of his support by getting him a watch.

I am looking for a Swiss automatic watch. Please give me two recommendations, one for a metal bracelet and other other on leather. I would like to spend between 500 and 1200. I am looking for something that does not have chronograph. I would like something that has the best "value"/movement in this price range. Thanks guys.

God Bless
    I'm going to completely ignore your Swiss made business and recommend a Seiko SARB series watch...

With that said, we need more info... are you looking for a dress watch or a diver, or a worldtimer... should it have a date function, how about day? Mechanical required? Quartz allowed? Is your dad a big guy, or small... so how big a watch? Is he conservative in his dress habits or not, is this an everyday watch for him or would it be for more special occasions... etc...
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Welcome~What are some of his earlier watches and tastes?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

How about a Mido Commander Chronometer?

(borrowed image)
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Wow...looks great, and expensive! Is that a japanese brand? "Mido" sounds japanese...

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    How about a Mido Commander Chronometer?

(borrowed image)

Quote Originally Posted by IanC View Post
    Wow...looks great, and expensive! Is that a japanese brand? "Mido" sounds japanese...
    It's a Swiss brand, my friend: if you look at the bottom of the dial you'll see "Swiss Made".

There are a ton of different watches that could fit your specifications: you need to narrow it down. It's good that you're set on an automatic, that narrows it down some, but we need to know if you're looking for any special features like chronograph, diving abilities, optional manual wind, ruggedness, classic looking, modern, etc.

Just come up with some stuff and we can narrow it down, or I guarantee you're going to have a dozen pages full of brand names and dial shots that will leave you discombobulated.

v76

It is a Swiss brand (belonging to the Swatch group). You can get a brand new one for under $700 (under $600 if the AD offers a decent discount). It is a design classic and great value for money (you get a COSC certified ETA 2836-2 movement in the watch).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Japanese: Seiko, Citizen
    German: Stowa, Sinn (some Sinn models are under $1200)
    Swiss: Hamilton, Mido, Oris, Longines (roughly in order of cost)

I've left a few out, but I've found that all these brands are well thought of on this forum and they all offer an assortment of dress and sport watches. Go to the websites and pick out the models you like. Nearly all of them will come in under $1200, with the exception being many Sinn and about 1/2 the Longines watches.

Stowa and Sinn are only available via the Internet in the US. The others can be purchased online or at stores. If you go to a store you can usually ask for and receive a discount somewhere between 20 and 30 percent for these brands without too much hassle (again, this doesn't apply to Stowa and Sinn). Online pricing is usually pretty low to begin with, but if you really don't know what your doing, it's best to view the watches in person before buying.

This may sound stupid, but it was something I didn't pay attention to when I first started out: Watches come in many sizes. Dress watches usually run between 36 and maybe upwards of 42mm (sometimes more I guess). Sport watches may start around 38mm and in more exceptional cases (no pun) reach 50mm or more. One thing I would be aware of is the size of your dad's wrists. If they are small, then very large watches might not fit him as well. The reverse is also true. Opinions and mileage may vary with regards to that statement. My best guess would be that a watch between 38mm and 42 mm would be a pretty safe size in most cases.
    Last edited by ljb187; July 8th, 2010 at 08:57.

Couldnt a watch be made in Switzerland but sold by a japanese company making it a japanese brand?

Banned

I would get the Seiko SARB pictured above. It is a stunning watch. But if it has to be 'Swiss' that Mido pictured is very attractive and has a certain retro funk about it. The fonts are AWESOME!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information