Help finding a legit hiking / climbing watch for my wife!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PH68

Thread: Help finding a legit hiking / climbing watch for my wife!

Help finding a legit hiking / climbing watch for my wife!

My wife has recently started doing a lot of hiking and climbing and I would like to get her a nice watch to compliment her new hobbie. Something durable obviously, with a compass, temp gauge, alarms, etc....standard functions for a watch that is used for hiking and climbing.

I have found a few. I like what Casio has to offer but it seems that the watches aren't really meant for women (i.e. they are HUGE).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Re: Help finding a legit hiking / climbing watch for my wife!

Been hiking for years.
    Forget a GPS or a fancy watch. Learn how to use a map and compass.

Any basic watch will be fine.
    A stopwatch can be useful for timing measured distances.

My wife still uses this Timex after 15+ years.

It's a bit beat up but this, a map, and compass, is all she needs.

As for me I've used G-Shocks, dive watches, Protreks, even dress watches, etc, etc..
    Econoline likes this.

Casio G-Shock Mini maybe?

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Check out the offerings from Suunto. I've had my Observer for years now (I use it for my job as an avalanche tech) and it has put up with a lot of use. I like it 'cause it's a bit smaller than rest of the line (some are HUGE), and it has a metal case. Battery is easily changed by a lay-person, too.

Many Suunto watches have altimeter, compass, various alarms (some for elevations), barometer, and thermometer. Bear in mind the thermometer isn't much use when the watch is on your wrist, but it is useful for telling you the temp of your tent (or bedroom) before you strap it on first thing. There are other companies that make altimeter/barometer watches (Casio makes at least one that has altimeter/barometer/compass, is solar charged AND receives the atomic time signal - very cool), however based on the many ski patrollers, avi techs, ski guides and other colleagues i know that work and play outdoors, Suunto is a proven favourite.

Home | Suunto

Good luck in your search!

- Darren

Is your wife into gadgets? Mine is, and if your's is too then something like a Suunto would be great (if kinda big). If not, how about something like a Hamilton Khaki Field, Sinn 556, Citizen Promaster or my quirky favorite, the Seiko Alpinist? All of them can found in the 32mm - 38mm size range and priced from a little over $100 to almost $1000. Then there's this little devil from Momentum (comes in six colors and more than 10 strap options):

Name:  1M-SP01C6G.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  8.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Daz-o-matic View Post
    Check out the offerings from Suunto. I've had my Observer for years now (I use it for my job as an avalanche tech) and it has put up with a lot of use. I like it 'cause it's a bit smaller than rest of the line (some are HUGE), and it has a metal case. Battery is easily changed by a lay-person, too.

Many Suunto watches have altimeter, compass, various alarms (some for elevations), barometer, and thermometer. Bear in mind the thermometer isn't much use when the watch is on your wrist, but it is useful for telling you the temp of your tent (or bedroom) before you strap it on first thing. There are other companies that make altimeter/barometer watches (Casio makes at least one that has altimeter/barometer/compass, is solar charged AND receives the atomic time signal - very cool), however based on the many ski patrollers, avi techs, ski guides and other colleagues i know that work and play outdoors, Suunto is a proven favourite.

Home | Suunto

Good luck in your search!

- Darren

+1. I have real world experience using a Suunto Core in many different harsh situations. Some combat oriented, but all involving heavy terrain and lots of hoofing it. Its a great tool to use (personally only as last resort kind of thing for me) and has plenty of your requested functions in a very easy format and layout. I miss mine (it fell off a mountain a few months back) and I really want another. Good luck.
    Last edited by Drop of a Hat; February 15th, 2012 at 07:47.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Al.

Tissot T-Touch possibly? Not too familiar with them; not sure if it'd have all the features you listed or if it's that durable.

Thanks everyone. The Casio ProTrek is awesome, but it's a bit big for my 5'3" 115 lb. wife. I had her put on my G-Shock and anything bigger might look like she's wearing a clock on her wrist (albeit a clock with a lot of features)

The Suunto might be the move. They look good....thanks for the help.

I just got a Suunto X-Lander for hiking (I don't climb...and come to think of it, I don't really hike that much anymore), but it is huge. It's like 50mm by 54mm (but it doesn't wear that big). However, I personally think big watches look sexy on women, so I won't be of much help.

I would also cross post this in the ABC (altimeter, barometer, compass) watch subforum and see if they have better suggestions for smaller ABC watches.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Thread Information