Help Finding a Watch for Dad's Retirement!
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Help Finding a Watch for Dad's Retirement!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help Finding a Watch for Dad's Retirement!

Hey folks. I'm here because I'm in need of a bit of help finding a watch for my father's retirement. It's about a year away, but I'll need to set my eyes on a target and start saving up a bit for it.

That being said, a little bit of a background on him. He's in his later 50's, and he's been in the fire service for about 35 years now. He's a short dude at around 5'2", so he has small wrists. Anything over 40mm case diameter he's definitely not into. He has a 1950's Zenith that's around 36mm and an old Seiko thats about 37mm which he wears a lot, so that will be the target size. He probably won't like anything larger than 39mm. The thinner the watch is, the better. He's not a huge watch fanatic like most of us, however he's also never really had a high quality watch, and he appreciates quality. He's expressed that he finds my Speedmaster dial too confusing, and he also doesn't like diver's bezels. A day and a date is certainly welcomed, but the simpler the dial, the better. The clearer, and easy to read the dial is, the better as well, because he has trouble seeing up close. I'll also need room on the caseback for engraving purposes. This watch will probably be his every day wearer, so it needs to be able to work with a tee shirt and jeans, and sometimes under a shirt cuff. It also needs to be somewhat waterproof, I would say 100m will suffice. I'm looking for something that's of good quality in the Omega, Rolex, Grand Seiko range, but wouldn't hesitate to check out a Tag, Ball, or something along those lines. I'd like something with a bit of brand recognition because while most of us understand that there are quality in other brands, he might not understand the gift unless its a brand he knows to be quality. My max budget is $5000 out of pocket (not MSRP because I'll be negotiating a price), although it certainly doesn't have to go that high. Also definitely no gold of any kind, as he's a bit more subdued than that.

I'm buying this for him because he's been a great father, and has served his community for over 35 years. To me, he certainly deserves a symbol of his accomplishment. I appreciate your help on this search WUS! A big thank you in advance.
    rfortson and molarface like this.

Re: Help Finding a Watch for Dad's Retirement!

You're probably stuck with Rolex if you can find one within budget. Many other brands have display backs on non-divers which wouldn't be suitable for engraving. You've got a completely blank canvas with a Rolex.

The Rolex Oyster Perpetual seems like it would tick all the boxes in terms of size, water resistance, legibility, unadorned case back, versatility, brand recognition and price. Plenty of dial and size options as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You already named the brands that I would look for. Still, I wouldn´t spend 5k on a watch for someone, who doesn´t appreciate the difference between a 3k and a 5k watch tbh... ;) On the other hand, owning a Zenith and not caring about watches doesn´t make that much of sense to me.

That being said, I would look for an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. Like this one:
    Name:  omega.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  36.1 KB

Should be well within budget (not MSRP, Omega are better to negotiate than Rolex). It´s 38.5mm and has in my opinion the best movement that you can get in this price range (Omega 8500) if you put aside brands like Eterna or Baume Mercier with JLC movements. However, none of these would fit regarding size.
    lxnastynotch93 likes this.

Rolex OP and Omega AT were the two watches I was considering for my father-in-law's 60th birthday. I eventually chose a quartz 38.5mm Omega AT because it will fit his lifestyle best (he'll likely only wear it a day or two a week due to his job, and setting it every time he puts it on won't fly.) Maybe I'll end up getting him the 36mm OP for his retirement in a few years anyway, who knows...

Also, congratulations on being a good son. I'll guarantee that no matter what you choose, your father will wear at it with pride because it came from you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    lxnastynotch93 likes this.

The Rolex is a great choice. I think the IWC 36mm Pilot's watch checks all your boxes. Comes in several color and on bracelet and straps, and is right around your budget.

date complication
    easy to read
    versatile wear
    no diver bezel
    around 36mm
    good quality
    brand recognition
    simple case back
    60m water resistance
    on the thinner side (10.5mm)

------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Nomos
    http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...l-back.html?hp

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

There are quite a number of Watches that I would have recommended before this one, but you did specify Water Resistance of 100m, so that rules out many of the Dress(ier) Watches that I was going to suggest. This one has a Water Resistance rating of 150m, from a good brand, and well within your budget:

D.C. and Quartersawn like this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

That's a lovely idea, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

So fire service you say? How about the Ball Fireman Victory or Classic? Perhaps a little on the large side at 40mm but has a solid case-back and is budget friendly.

Thanks everyone for the input. These are all great options.

I'm certainly leaning towards the Omega AT since I think the co-axial movement is excellent, and it really does check all the boxes.

As far as engraving is concerned, it's not a deal breaker if the watch can't be engraved but it would be nice to be able to do so.

I'll throw one more in for an opinion, the Breitling Transocean 38.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information