Help a Friend
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help a Friend

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs Up Help a Friend

Hi all.

I know that this type of post happens a lot around here; I hope this doesn't take away from the fun of posting suggestions. After all, watch eye-candy is a good thing .

Anyway, I have a friend who's doing well for himself professionally. He's looking to buy a watch in the New Year. As a collector, he turned to me for advice. Although I'm familiar with a variety of brands, I'm generally more interested in the vintage market. My friend is looking for something modern, sleek, and durable. He is also looking for a watch that can be worn both casually and professionally. "Rolex" and "Breitling" are two of the brands he's expressed an interest in. For instance, the Super Ocean Heritage Chrono has caught his eye. He likes the look of it, but thought it perhaps a tad too large and "bulky" on his wrist. He has a maximum budget of $8,000.

Well, it looks like he's got a thing for the "desktop diver"/"tool watch" look, but all suggestions that meet his above criteria would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zac

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Re: Help a Friend

Rolex explorer I (39mm, 214270):

Name:  rolex-explorer-i-reference-214270.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  55.2 KB

Not very bulk and it's dressy and elegant but can also take a beating due to 904L steel, 100M water resistance and parachrom hairspring.
    Vincero and ohmegah like this.

Great looking piece Athram!

NB: It doesn't have to be a Rolex or a Breitling.

A variety of "High-End" brands are welcome.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)

I would talk him out of Breitling quickly. Overpriced and underspeced. Don't even look towards Pam. AP is out of the price range. So I would go with a black Rolex submariner. (Not to be confused with Deap Sea). There is nothing out there that is a more iconic modern classic with the versitility from diving/yachting/sports, jeans and t to a tux. And since he is already looking at those, why not go with it. It is a great choice and I plan to put one in my collection as well down the road.

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Littvay View Post
    I would talk him out of Breitling quickly. Overpriced and underspeced. Don't even look towards Pam. AP is out of the price range. So I would go with a black Rolex submariner. (Not to be confused with Deap Sea). There is nothing out there that is a more iconic modern classic with the versitility from diving/yachting/sports, jeans and t to a tux. And since he is already looking at those, why not go with it. It is a great choice and I plan to put one in my collection as well down the road.
    I would add that a brand new Rolex sub date is almost $1000 over his budget. The no date is also over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Littvay View Post

Personally, I'm not much of a Breitling fan either. At least not when it comes to their modern line up. Ironically, my "prize piece" is a gorgeous, dressy Breitling chronograph from WWII. I've never seen one quite like it; it's a real draw-dropper.

Still, we have to remember that my friend -- whilst certainly enjoying the search for a new watch -- is far from being a WIS. He will likely value the aesthetic appeal of his purchase more so than its inner workings. Having said that, I understand that there is some overlap here... especially when it comes to arguing what a truly "high tier" timepiece should comprise of, but I digress.

I'll have to double-check his feelings about buying secondhand. I'll include the potential for secondhand stock for now. I don't know about you guys, but I find that seeing pictures is usually enough to rid the somewhat illogical desire for something brand spanking new :p.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. keep 'em coming :).
    Last edited by Vincero; December 30th, 2012 at 06:02.

Check out the Breitling Transocean Chrono with the B-01 movement. Also check out JLC.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

thanks... will do.

Now this is nice:

Maybe a tad too casual ;). Pic stolen from an auction.

I'm not really a fan of either brand, but I suggest looking at the Rolex Milgauss. Used of course, otherwise it's a bit over budget. Other than that, the IWC Aquatimer comes to mind, as does the Omega Aquaterra which gets a lot of love around here Finally, have a look at the Grand Seiko line, in that price range, they're very hard to beat quality wise. Good luck!
    Vincero likes this.
    Current: Seiko 5 SNGZ71, Seiko SKX007, G-Shock G9000-1V

Grail: Omega SMP 300 or Planet Ocean Orange Bezel

Admitted Seiko fan!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information