WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help a Friend

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  GETS 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I know that this type of post happens a lot around here; I hope this doesn't take away from the fun of posting suggestions. After all, watch eye-candy is a good thing :-!.

Anyway, I have a friend who's doing well for himself professionally. He's looking to buy a watch in the New Year. As a collector, he turned to me for advice. Although I'm familiar with a variety of brands, I'm generally more interested in the vintage market. My friend is looking for something modern, sleek, and durable. He is also looking for a watch that can be worn both casually and professionally. "Rolex" and "Breitling" are two of the brands he's expressed an interest in. For instance, the Super Ocean Heritage Chrono has caught his eye. He likes the look of it, but thought it perhaps a tad too large and "bulky" on his wrist. He has a maximum budget of $8,000.

Well, it looks like he's got a thing for the "desktop diver"/"tool watch" look, but all suggestions that meet his above criteria would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zac

See less See more
#4 ·
I would talk him out of Breitling quickly. Overpriced and underspeced. Don't even look towards Pam. AP is out of the price range. So I would go with a black Rolex submariner. (Not to be confused with Deap Sea). There is nothing out there that is a more iconic modern classic with the versitility from diving/yachting/sports, jeans and t to a tux. And since he is already looking at those, why not go with it. It is a great choice and I plan to put one in my collection as well down the road.

#15 ·
Also Chronomat B01 and Navitimer B01 are not to be neglected

Reactions: Dienekes
#10 ·
I'm not really a fan of either brand, but I suggest looking at the Rolex Milgauss. Used of course, otherwise it's a bit over budget. Other than that, the IWC Aquatimer comes to mind, as does the Omega Aquaterra which gets a lot of love around here Finally, have a look at the Grand Seiko line, in that price range, they're very hard to beat quality wise. Good luck!

Reactions: Vincero
#13 ·
You know, the Milgauss made my personal list of ideas.

My friend is involved (primarily) with a company that deals with an innovative use of magnets. As far as I know, he's not exposed to them directly -- My last email has detailed my concerns here -- but nevertheless, the Milgauss would make a nice industry "touch". It's also a little bit fatter than most Rolex models; chunky but not overly so. Hence, I've urged him to try it on... if he can find one.

Another bonus is that even a contemporary Milgauss will likely hold its value. Oooops, Now I'm speaking as a collector!

Best,

Zac

#11 ·
Jeez, how could I forget, also have him check out Ball watches, I have read nothing but good things about them on here and they have watches that range from true diver, to desk diver, to classy and elegant! Hope that helps!

#19 ·
Nice mass produced movements from ETA (that you get in watches costing ~$350 or under $800 for an automatic chronograph). And with those price tags they have the nerve to use lower grade (Elaborated for 7750, I checked with them) ETA movements unless their watch reads COSC/Chronometer on the face (and even then you'd be better put your money into a Sinn for a fraction of the cost and get the same movement with a case that has seen some serious engineering.

I guess if you are considering Breitling you should be considering Ball as well, but IMHO both should be crossed off the list. (BTW, I know the nice classic Breitling Chrono you are talking about with the in house movement. That is an exception.)

#17 ·
You could wear a Navitimer B-01 with just about anyting. If he's interested in Breitling, that's what I'd recommend. Rolex - a gently used black Submariner is going to be number one, no matter what anyone may or may not think about Rolex on here. Rolex is number one by FAR in the mind of the average Joe. It's the pinnacle of success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.