Help! Gift for husband's birthday. Ball vs. Omega under $3600
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! Gift for husband's birthday. Ball vs. Omega under $3600

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help! Gift for husband's birthday. Ball vs. Omega under $3600

This is my first post and I'm really looking for some help. I've been lurking and searching through the forums for a few weeks now and it looks like a lot of you are experts when it comes to watches. I decided to join the forums because I would love to hear some of your opinions. I want to buy a watch for my husband's birthday. I don't want to buy a used watch. I would like to stay under $3600. I'm considering the Ball Trainmaster Cannonball with the white face and brown leather strap and the Omega SpeedmasterOmega 3873.50.31 (saw it on Alan Furman website for $3490) with the black face and black leather strap. Which of the two do you think is a better choice? And also I welcome any other suggestions. I know they are completely different but I also know that he likes both. Thanks in advance!

kjw

Re: Help! Gift for husband's birthday. Ball vs. Omega under $3600

I'd pick the Omega. It is a classic.
    "The time to buy is when you see it." American Picker guys

No knock against the Ball, but the Speedmaster is in a class of its own. It is one of those timeless designs that will never grow old.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional with hesalite on leather, just like the one pictured. It is a fantastic watch that makes you question the need for any other watch.

By the way, I got mine from an authorized dealer, with a warranty and everything, for a good bit less than that website you're quoting. Shop around; I'm sure you'll get a better deal.

Here are a few pictures of mine:

I believe mine is the 3870.50.31.
    Last edited by Raza; July 1st, 2011 at 13:32.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Without a doubt the Omega Speedmaster Professional; believe me your husband will love it! I've got 3 of them and keep looking out for another, they are that addictive; in a good way. ; )

I am a big Ball fan but between both of the pieces presented, I would definitely go for the Omega.

If you were to find a Ball similar (tachy bezel) to the Omega, you might find this particular Ball very similar...

Name:  ballstorm1.JPG
Views: 3855
Size:  106.9 KB
    "Fireman Stormchaser DLC Glow LE"
    You can see the MSRP for this piece with the PDF link listed below; under the Model/Ref: CM2192C-P2-BK (BK for black dial)
    http://www.ballwatchusa.com/dealer/B...stJuly2011.pdf
    You will find the cost $1 below your budget, or more with your local Ball AD.

*Note* Picture posted does not belong to me. Apologies if inappropriate.

Cheers

Thank you all for the quick responses. I know he would want a sapphire crystal to avoid scratches and probably the automatic movement. Do you think it would still be in my price range? Any recommendations on Authorized Dealers? I live in New York. This has been very helpful.

I would personally stay away from the automatic movement. The original speedmaster pro (moon watch) was a manual wind so to preserve the historical accuracy of the watch, I'd stay with the manual wind version (with the sapphire crystal).

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Vixen View Post
    Thank you all for the quick responses. I know he would want a sapphire crystal to avoid scratches and probably the automatic movement. Do you think it would still be in my price range? Any recommendations on Authorized Dealers? I live in New York. This has been very helpful.
    Omega does sell the Speedmaster Professional with a sapphire front crystal (model 3573.50 with bracelet). An automatic movement is convenient, but if you are going to go with the traditional and historical Speedmaster Pro.; it has to have the manual movement.

p.s.- I just realized that the model mentioned above does have a sapphire crystal display back as well, and might be out of your budget range. Nice watch though, as you can see the wonderful movement.

There's nothing wrong with a mineral crystal. In fact, you an buff out scratches.

No matter, between these two, the Speedy. He'll LOVE it! You're a very good wife.
    My little friends:

Casio G-Shock GW-5000
    Casio G-Shock GD-350
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    Kienzle Chronograph
    Omega Speedmaster PRO
    Orient Star Classic
    Rolex Submariner
    Seiko 007 Diver
    Seiko Turtle Diver
    Seiko SARB 021

Seiko 7A28 Chrono