Help with Grandmothers Watch ID

Thread: Help with Grandmothers Watch ID

Help with Grandmothers Watch ID

Hi, i recently came across my grandmothers old watch. i would like to know if anyone has info about it. i couldn't find ANYTHING online about it. (except coming across this forum). I'm sorry i do not have a very good photo.

It's either Gold-tone, or real gold. it's got 2 (diamond?) stones where the 12oclock should be, 1 stone at 3 o clock, 1 stone at 6 o clock, and 1 at 9 o clock. All the clock face says on it is LAFAYETTE and under the hands says QUARTZ. and between the 6 o clock stone is says THAI (stone) MOVT. the inside of the battery cover says made in Thailand. that's all i know. it's a brown leather strap (its the lighter brown like the bottom of the photo) with gold buckle and no other markings.

i'm interested to know if this is a valuable watch, or just something from any dept store. It's worn a bit, my grandmother wore it very much it seems.

I just lost her recently, and its very special to me. But aside from that , i want to know if i should keep this in a box someplace safe, or if i can wear it without worrying if parts wont ever be available if something happened to it.

Any help is appreciated. thank you very much.

Re: Help with Grandmothers Watch ID

Hi, ravenastoria. Welcome to Watchuseek.

Your grandmother's watch is priceless, of course, because it was hers, but probably has little monetary value to anyone else. Women's watches are not particularly collectible and since it's quartz (meaning operated by a battery) it's not an antique, per se.

I can't tell you much about caring for the watch as I prefer mechanicals. My only electronic watch is a tuning fork, which uses a different technology. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

I'm not much help, I'm afraid, but at least I gave you a bump back to the top of the page!

Jeannie
    Last edited by GinGinD; April 12th, 2010 at 20:30. Reason: typo

I agree with Jeannie -- the sentimental value will be many times greater than its monetary value. That's a pretty obscure name, and you don't hear about a lot of watches coming out of Thailand, so my guess is that it's a fashion watch from a department store.

As far as caring for a quartz versus a mechanical, there's really not a lot to it. You will need to change the battery every year or two; just wait until it stops and then put a fresh one in.

You didn't mention anything about water resistance markings, so I would assume that it's NOT water resistant at all. That means don't get it wet under any circumstances (no splashing of water on it, no wearing it in the shower, no swimming with it, etc.). You can clean off any dust or grime with a damp cloth.

That's really about it. Those simple things will keep your grandmother's watch running for a very long time.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both Jeannie and Mike for your responses. It is very special to me (as i am wearing it right now) .. i did not think it was antique by any means, as it is battery operated, but thank you for your tips on how to keep it clean and safe.

Thank you much

Heirloom watches are very special. I have my dad's and it's on my wrist now. Whenever I look down at it, I think of him.

Jeannie

Thread Information