Help this guy find his next watch!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Justin Stacks

Thread: Help this guy find his next watch!

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cowtown, Canada
    Posts
    176

    Help this guy find his next watch!

    Good day WUS,

    So the last year has been a bit of a whirlwind of watches for me. In August, I purchased a brand new Rolex Sub 114060. Loved that watch but sold it to fund the purchase of a brand new Rolex Daytona 116520 (black dial, stainless). I posted the watch on the sales forum here since I somewhat regretted my decision of buying it at the time. I then realized I truly enjoy wearing this iconic watch so decided to keep it and wear the hell out of it.

    For my next watch, I'm trying to take my time and find the right one and figured I'd see what you guys on the forum are thinking about. I'm looking for a white/silver dial watch on a leather strap. It will function as a dress watch for work (I work in business casual environment), but still want it casual enough that I can wear it on the weekends with a pair of chinos and a polo.

    My current top choice is the IWC Portuguese Auto (white dial, blue numerals/hands).

    My budget is $10,000 USD. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    Thanks all.
    Last edited by sjhc88; April 6th, 2015 at 04:42.


    Omega Speedmaster Professional (3570.50)
    Rolex Cosmograph Daytona (116520)
    Officine Panerai PAM 312 Q


    Sold:
    Rolex Submariner "No Date" (114060)
    Breitling Navitimer Silver Dial (A23322)
    Omega Seamaster 300m "Bond" (2220.80.00)

  2. #2
    Member dbostedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    6,205

    Re: Help this guy find his next watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by sjhc88 View Post
    Good day WUS,

    So the last year has been a bit of a whirlwind of watches for me. In August, I purchased a brand new Rolex Sub 114060. Loved that watch but sold it to fund the purchase of a brand new Rolex Daytona 116520 (black dial, stainless). I posted the watch on the sales forum here since I somewhat regretted my decision of buying it at the time. I then realized I truly enjoy wearing this iconic watch so decided to keep it and wear the hell out of it.

    For my next watch, I'm trying to take my time and find the right one and figured I'd see what you guys on the forum are thinking about. I'm looking for a white/silver dial watch on a leather strap. It will function as a dress watch for work (I work in business casual environment), but still want it casual enough that I can wear it on the weekends with a pair of chinos and a polo.

    My current top choice is the IWC Portuguese Auto (white dial, blue numerals/hands).

    My budget is $10,000 USD. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    Thanks all.
    A little more detail would be good in terms of size (diameter and thickness) and complications - chrono? moon? date? big date? etc. (Do you require blue hands?)

    Also - to me - business casual isn't much different than chinos and a polo. I can't think of a watch that would be fine with one and not the other.

    A couple that popped to mind for me :

    Omega Hour Vision (or even the Annual Calendar version if you get a decent deal), though only the second hand is blue :
    Name:  43133412102001-20.png
Views: 96
Size:  162.4 KB

    Glasshutte Original Senator Observer :
    Name:  glashutte-original-Senator-Observer-1911-2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  107.6 KB

    JLC MUT Moon :
    Name:  7311263898_7ff99cc09f_c.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  147.4 KB
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

  3. #3
    Member denmanproject's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,126

    Re: Help this guy find his next watch!



    Last edited by denmanproject; April 6th, 2015 at 05:09.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cowtown, Canada
    Posts
    176

    Re: Help this guy find his next watch!

    dbostedo -- thanks for the reply and suggestions. The largest size I'd be willing to go is 44mm, ideally 40mm would be my perfect size. In terms of complication, the only requirement is a date.

    I love the JLC MUT Moon, however I think it's a bit too dressy for what I'm looking for. The Omega is nice, but I was thinking on going with something a little more unique. I know that $10,000 won't get my any haute horology pieces.

    Also, what I meant by "business casual" is dress shirt and trousers (no tie, and certainly not a full suit).

    Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    A little more detail would be good in terms of size (diameter and thickness) and complications - chrono? moon? date? big date? etc. (Do you require blue hands?)

    Also - to me - business casual isn't much different than chinos and a polo. I can't think of a watch that would be fine with one and not the other.

    A couple that popped to mind for me :

    Omega Hour Vision (or even the Annual Calendar version if you get a decent deal), though only the second hand is blue :
    Name:  43133412102001-20.png
Views: 96
Size:  162.4 KB

    Glasshutte Original Senator Observer :
    Name:  glashutte-original-Senator-Observer-1911-2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  107.6 KB

    JLC MUT Moon :
    Name:  7311263898_7ff99cc09f_c.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  147.4 KB


    Omega Speedmaster Professional (3570.50)
    Rolex Cosmograph Daytona (116520)
    Officine Panerai PAM 312 Q


    Sold:
    Rolex Submariner "No Date" (114060)
    Breitling Navitimer Silver Dial (A23322)
    Omega Seamaster 300m "Bond" (2220.80.00)

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cowtown, Canada
    Posts
    176

    Re: Help this guy find his next watch!

    denmanproject, I see you're from Calgary too! Thanks for the suggestion on the Calibre de Cartier, it's a standout piece. I had the Tank MC on over the weekend and really liked that one as well. Rectangular case and definitely different than a lot of watches out there. What are your thoughts on your Cartier?


    Omega Speedmaster Professional (3570.50)
    Rolex Cosmograph Daytona (116520)
    Officine Panerai PAM 312 Q


    Sold:
    Rolex Submariner "No Date" (114060)
    Breitling Navitimer Silver Dial (A23322)
    Omega Seamaster 300m "Bond" (2220.80.00)

  7. #6
    Member dbostedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    6,205

    Re: Help this guy find his next watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by sjhc88 View Post
    ...what I meant by "business casual" is dress shirt and trousers (no tie, and certainly not a full suit).
    Oh, I get that. I just think people get too hung up on trying to categorize how dressy or not their watches are sometimes. I don't think a MUT Moon on a casual strap would have any problem being worn with even jeans and a tshirt.

    Maybe a Breitling Transocean?
    Name:  transocean_01.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  26.5 KB

    Or Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde?
    Name:  MP6508-SS001-130.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  18.8 KB

    Or something more unique, like an Eterna Madison 8-days with its very cool movement?
    Name:  7720.41.13.1229.png
Views: 65
Size:  188.5 KB

    Or even unique-er (though no date) a Louis Moinet Mecanograph?

    Name:  55-17.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  525.5 KB
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

  8. #7
    Member Justin Stacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    487

    Re: Help this guy find his next watch!

    Really can't go wrong with the IWC Portuguese Automatic, but how about the JLC Reverso Grande GMT?

    It's like getting two watches in one!

    Name:  jaeger-lecoultre-reverso-grande-gmt-q3028420_7559.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  133.0 KB

    Or you can go with the Glashutte Original PanoMatic Lunar

    Name:  Glashutte original panomatic lunar.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  137.7 KB
    Last edited by Justin Stacks; April 6th, 2015 at 06:31.
    dbostedo likes this.
    Present: ROLEX Hulk Submariner, Pepsi GMT 16750 & 2T Datejust 1601 * PANERAI Radiomir PAM183 * IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth * BREITLING Navitimer Olympus * SEIKO Orange Monster * TISSOT PRC200 * SWATCH '86 Lancelot

    Past: BREITLING Super Avenger (Sold)
    * OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean XL (Sold) * SEVENFRIDAY P3-1 (Sold) * SEIKO Black Monster (Traded) & Fifty-Five Fathoms Mod (Sold) * HAMILTON '60 Masterpiece Thin-o-matic (Sold)

    Hunting:
    AP RO 15400

    The Grail (Someday): Patek Philippe Aquanaut

    Time is too precious to measure with a cheap watch * The greatest luxury in life is time. Savour every second.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Help me find this guy that makes custom watch boxes
      By Valjoe in forum Books, Tools, Winders & other Watch Accessories
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: August 1st, 2014, 07:00
    2. Help this T-shirt and jeans kinda guy find a nice watch.
      By Watch.Er in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: January 5th, 2014, 16:57
    3. Help the new guy find a watch? Please?
      By Peregrino in forum Pilots' & Military watches
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: June 4th, 2013, 10:46
    4. Help a watch new guy find a nice watch! $1000 range!
      By watchnoob313 in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: April 15th, 2012, 03:59
    5. How to Find Automatic Watch Repair Guy Locally?
      By wxman in forum Watchmaking
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: September 7th, 2008, 20:33

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •