HELP! Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic Broken?!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By exiLe

Thread: HELP! Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic Broken?!

Confused HELP! Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic Broken?!

Like the thread title says, I was going through my morning routine and went to hand wind my watches that can be hand wound and in the process when I came across my Khaki Field.

I went to go wind it and after about 10 hand winds the crown was a bit harder to turn and was making a totally different noise. When I looked at the exhibition case back I saw the rotor is not moving nearly as free was it was before and now rotate when I try to rotate the crown.

Is it broken? Or is it just fully wound and I've never reached the fully wound point for this watch and the rotor's fluidity will be back to normal as the power wears down?

I really hope I didn't break it, simply trying to keep it wound for tomorrow night for a date with the gf and this is what happens....

Any input would be appreciated!
    Last edited by exiLe; February 2nd, 2012 at 15:10.
    -Matt

Collection
    Current: 116710BLNR ("Batman"), ♛ 116610LV ("Hulk"), ♛ 116600 ("SD4K"), ♛ Milgauss White Dial (hers), ♛ Oyster Perpetual 31 3,6,9 Blue Dial (hers), G Shock 7900B-1 Rescue Series
    Incoming:
    Wish List: JLC Master Control Date
    , Ω Speedmaster DSOTM (311.92.44.51.01.007), VC Overseas Blue Dial

Re: HELP! Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic Broken?!

Chances are that the mainspring is fully wound and the rotor appears sluggish because it is now rotating the entire spring within the winding barrel. The mainspring found in an automatic movement is designed to slip like that to prevent movement damage. Why are you keeping all your watches running by handwinding them every morning?
    Last edited by John MS; February 2nd, 2012 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Chances are that the mainspring is fully wound and the rotor appears sluggish because it is now rotating the entire spring within the winding barrel. The mainspring found in an automatic movement is designed to slip like that to prevent movement damage. Why are you keeping all your watches running by handwinding them every morning?
    Based on the threads that pop up every other day here in the public forum the main consensus here seems to be there is no problem with keeping them running.

However, I don't normally keep them consistently running I normally let them wind down but I was going to lend 1 to a friend for a night out and another to a friend for a night out so I wanted them wound and ready to go.

The crown just seemed especially tight and the rotor not moving as freely just added to the situation. Good to hear you think it's just a fully wound mainspring.
    kleemo likes this.
    -Matt

Collection
    Current: 116710BLNR ("Batman"), ♛ 116610LV ("Hulk"), ♛ 116600 ("SD4K"), ♛ Milgauss White Dial (hers), ♛ Oyster Perpetual 31 3,6,9 Blue Dial (hers), G Shock 7900B-1 Rescue Series
    Incoming:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by exiLe View Post
    Based on the threads that pop up every other day here in the public forum the main consensus here seems to be there is no problem with keeping them running.

However, I don't normally keep them consistently running I normally let them wind down but I was going to lend 1 to a friend for a night out and another to a friend for a night out so I wanted them wound and ready to go.

The crown just seemed especially tight and the rotor not moving as freely just added to the situation. Good to hear you think it's just a fully wound mainspring.
    No, no problem keeping them running. But handwinding automatics can prove harrowing, as your experience shows. I don't think the handwinding mechanism is as robust as it would be in a handwind-only watch.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

if you want to keep them running, i would suggest a watch winder as opposed to hand winding them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
    if you want to keep them running, i would suggest a watch winder as opposed to hand winding them every day.
    I have considered that, sadly on a college budget this is something that may have to wait. Looks like they'll sit dormant next time and I'll wait until I want to actually use one for the time being.

I just checked on the watch itself and the crown is still very hard to handwind and the rotor is still spinning when I rotate the crown. Shouldn't the power reserve be substantially lower, or at least low enough to allow the crown to spin freely again?

I am not forcing anything to make sure I don't cause any damage, or at least any further damage than I've already done if I have done any.
    Last edited by exiLe; February 3rd, 2012 at 02:20.
    -Matt

Collection
    Incoming:

Hey! Sorry to revive old post but the exact same thing is happening to my hamilton khaki field auto. I was wondering what was the verdict of your discoveries if you dont mind

Thread Information