Help with a high end dealer not honoring their warranty?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with a high end dealer not honoring their warranty?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with a high end dealer not honoring their warranty?

I'm a relatively new collector looking for some advice on how to handle a high-end dealer who sold me a watch with a warranty but who now refuses to respond to my requests for service or compensation from a watch in need of repair. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

What happened: I bought a watch from a mid-to-high end used watch dealer (rolex, patek, etc.) in a large European city and was told both in person and in writing that it came with a one year warranty. It quickly became obvious that the watch desperately needed a major service as it was losing more than a minute a day.

I got in touch with the shop and asked if I should send it to them (I'm in the US so that might have triggered some customs issues) or if they wanted to handle the warranty by covering at least a portion of the service cost. They said they'd wire me about a quarter of the cost of a service and asked for my bank info. I was a little disappointed but said it was at least something and sent my info.

That was in June.

I've reached out many times since then and they've just refused to respond at all.

So I feel a little stuck. Any ideas how to handle this? Anyone resolve similar issues in the past (especially in France or maybe anywhere in the EU)? Am I just totally out of luck?

Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks.

Re: Help with a high end dealer not honoring their warranty?

With that attitude I'd blast them on forums and where it'd hurt them most. As long as your issue is legit and they are taking advantage of you knowing your long distance situation then you have every right. As far as getting them to pony up, it seems you already got your answer. Sorry about your dealings with such horrible Store.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Super helpful. Thank you. Although I don’t see any clear info about how enforcement works if you live outside the EU. I’ll investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe there is a local consumer affairs dept. you can contact as you purchased in person while in the country in question... they may be able to assist or recommend actions availble

There are two dodgy watch shops in town that continue to operate sucessfully and seemingly have no shortage of new customers even with poor online reviews...i read of one very similar situation but the customer was local and still couldnt get anywhere towards a suitable resolution...

I'm still shocked when watch dealers cant tell you the current accuracy of a watch they have recently serviced.. isnt that one critical piece of info about a pre owned piece being sold by them ?
    Shouldnt that be part of the specs of said piece being sold ?

Hope you resolve quickly

How did you pay for the watch?

Some methods of payment carry very strong customer protection.

Quote Originally Posted by beckcommar View Post
    I bought a watch from a mid-to-high end used watch dealer (rolex, patek, etc.) in a large European city and was told both in person and in writing that it came with a one year warranty.
    If it's a used watch, the warranty won't cover normal wear and tear that comes with age. Did they service the movement before they sold it to you or was it an unserviced watch? How old? Based on what you wrote, it is impossible for me to say if your case falls under warranty at all. The fact that they offered you 25% off doesn't mean they accepted your claim. They could just have offered it out of goodwill to get the issue off their table.

So how much money are we talking about? Is it worth going after, regarding the time and frustration it may cost you (possibly to no success)?

This may not be the answer you hoped for, but I think it is vital to understand the legal background before giving (emotionally loaded?) advice from afar.

There is quite a bit of missing information.
    What did the warranty cover and what did it exclude.
    How old is the watch.
    What exactly was wrong with the watch.
    brandon\, ffritz and Watchbreath like this.

When you say you've reached out and they haven't responded, are we just talking emails here? If so, it's time to bust out a tried-and-true "old school" resolution tactic......give 'em a call on the telephone.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

The reality is that I'm not sure it is worth a lot more effort to get them to pay for what will be a ~$800 service job.

They warranty they offered was communicated verbally as "if you have any problems at all" and they specifically told me that if after a month it wasn't running accurately to get in touch. In writing, my receipt simply says "1 year warranty." Reading over the EU consumer rules, it seems quite clear that this should be covered.

I have written and called. I will likely end up back in Europe and may go pay them an in-person visit, but that seems like an awful lot of hassle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information