Help identifying a Baume & Mercier watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help identifying a Baume & Mercier watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying a Baume & Mercier watch

About 15 years ago I was gifted a Baume & Mercier watch by my late great uncle.

On the back of it are the following numbers

I have a letter from Baume & Mercier dated May 24th, 1971 that states the following:

1 gent's wrist watch, whitegold 18ct. engraving on the back, waterproof, automatic, calendar, black leather strap. Complete overhaul of the movement, replacement of the glass.

I have been told today that it will cost approx $100 USD to get it valued here in New Zealand.

My questions are as follows:
    1) Does anyone have any further information about this model? Age etc?
    2) Is it likely to be worth any real money, justifying the cost of valuation?

Obviously with a service letter from 1971, it is at least 43years old.. but I have no idea about how much older. I would appreciate any assistance.

Name:  IMG_0975.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  105.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0977.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0972.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  109.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0974.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  135.8 KB

Re: Help identifying a Baume & Mercier watch

No evaluations done here, but if it's Gold, that's the "real money".

$100 just to get it valued? Put those $100 towards a service and hunt ebay for similar watches...their selling price will provide you with an approximate market value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The unfortunate reality of most vintage gold watches is that their value lies primarily in the scrap gold price of the gold case. If the watch holds no sentimental value to you, and you just wish to sell it, you'll probably just receive the the scrap value of the case, and you don't need to spend money on a valuation in order to do so.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    The unfortunate reality of most vintage gold watches is that their value lies primarily in the scrap gold price of the gold case
    Im not sure what I am doing at this stage.. I would prefer it stayed intact. It has been living in a drawer for the past 15 years.. It might be time to set it free

Is there an online database of models, or anything that might be able to place its age? (I have tried Googling without much luck)

Thanks for the advise so far.

Quote Originally Posted by danielparker View Post
    Im not sure what I am doing at this stage.. I would prefer it stayed intact. It has been living in a drawer for the past 15 years.. It might be time to set it free

Is there an online database of models, or anything that might be able to place its age? (I have tried Googling without much luck)

Thanks for the advise so far.
    Well, you have an idea of how much you would get for the watch if you sold it (for scrap), and I imagine the only other possibility you should look into is the cost of servicing the watch, as the dial, crystal, and case look like they're still in decent shape.

This is an eBay listing for a Baumatic that is apparently a micro-rotor movement.

Mens Baume Mercier Baumatic Automatic Micro Rotor 18K Solid Gold Watch Blue Dial | eBay

If you could get a photo of the movement within, that would probably give a better idea of whether you could get above the scrap value on the watch.

Another factor is the size of the watch, if it is at least 35mm to 36mm in diameter (not including the crown), then you have better resale value, since that's a size that is still desirable by contemporary standards for a dress watch. Watches that have smaller diameters than that are likely to have a much lower demand.
    Last edited by mleok; May 19th, 2014 at 11:03.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

On the external aesthetics alone, it looks 1970's to me. The date window, vertically brushed dial, and printed logo are all commonly seen in the 1970's but rare before then. Sentimental value far exceeds the price tag of even the most expensive watches, if it has sentimental value to you then it shouldn't matter what it's material value is. If it has little sentimental value to you,but has an in-house and nicely decorated movement then the watch is worth something more than just the gold content of the case. If it's an average movement from an outside ébauche maker then its value lies in the gold content.
    Nokie likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

I'd say look for an email address for Baume et Mercier... sometimes the companies will have databases of old models and could help you out.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

On the external aesthetics alone, it looks 1970's to me. The date window, vertically brushed dial, and printed logo are all commonly seen in the 1970's but rare before then. Sentimental value far exceeds the price tag of even the most expensive watches, if it has sentimental value to you then it shouldn't matter what it's material value is. If it has little sentimental value to you,but has an in-house and nicely decorated movement then the watch is worth something more than just the gold content of the case. If it's an average movement from an outside ébauche maker then its value lies in the gold content.
    Nice info.
    TimeWizard likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I emailed B&M a couple of years ago, with a similar question. They came back to me, fairly friendly, with some decent info. Recommend you try likewise:

[email protected]

Send a front and back pic of the watch and all numbers on the watch, and they should be able to provide you some info. Agree with others though, look at the 'bay for something approximating fair market value, once you figure out what the watch was called and how long it was offered in that form.

K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information