WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help identifying Elgin pocket watch

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DBEAU 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, i just received a pocket watch passed down from my great grandfather and I'd appreciate any info on it if possible.

I haven't popped the back off yet but ill post a few picks of the outside. It appears to be automatic.

I know little about pocket watches but i was surprised to discover it is auto. I did very little research yet but it seems Elgin is an old American company that was known for middle quality time pieces.

Any insight would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your watch will have a handwind and not an automatic movement. It looks to be a gold plated or gold filled case from the mid 1930's to late 1940's. I would guess it uses a good quality 15 or 17 jewel movement. Nice looking dial and hands.
Once you have the back off the movement serial number can be used in this data base to date the watch.

[ELGIN] Pocket Watch Serial Numbers: Date, Grade, Jewels

#3 ·
Your watch will have a handwind and not an automatic movement. It looks to be a gold plated or gold filled case from the mid 1930's to late 1940's. I would guess it uses a good quality 15 or 17 jewel movement. Nice looking dial and hands.
Once you have the back off the movement serial number can be used in this data base to date the watch.

[ELGIN] Pocket Watch Serial Numbers: Â. Date, Grade, Jewels
Thanks for the reply.

I assumed it was hand wind but when i shake it after it has stopped it starts back up again. I'm sure there's a logical explanation that I'm not seeing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.