Help identifying old watch? (PICS)

Thread: Help identifying old watch? (PICS)

Help identifying old watch? (PICS)

I recently came across a watch and I don't know much about it so I figured I'd see if anyone could help me out. I'll post everything I can about it and I took a few pics so hopefully you guys can help out!

The case and dial are gold and the watch has the "NFL Alumni" logo on the dial. Below the logo it says "TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS" and below that, at the 6:00 position, it says "LAFAYETTE WATCH CO SWISS MADE" followed by a circled "TM" symbol. Instead of a traditional second hand, there is a white football player that sweeps around the dial (not sure how it's attached, it's not attached to a hand so it appears to be floating in the case. The watch has a mechanical movement, I don't think it's automatic, although I haven't given it any rigorous shakings to see if they'll get it going. It has a push-pull crown at the 3:00 position. It's on a thin, black leather strap that says "Genuine Leather" on the back. The strap has an alligator-type style to it. The back says "38007 LAFAYETTE WATCH CO SWISS MADE BASE METAL" and has a logo with a script "L" in the middle (assuming this is the Lafayette logo).

Here are a few pics:

Anyone know anything about this or if it's worth anything? My dad has a bunch of friends that played for the Bucs in the 80s so I'm assuming it somehow came from there.

Re: Help identifying old watch? (PICS)

Hi -

In the future, try posting on the vintage watch forum, which at least gets my attention sooner.

Second, we don't, as a principle, tell anyone what a watch is worth: there are too many variables involved, not the least of which is sentimental value.

Third, the watch in question is almost certainly what is called an advertising watch, i.e. a watch from a batch of watches made with a company logo etc. The lack of a seconds hand and the use of what is called a "mystery" logo for the seconds is fairly unusual, but indicates only that the people who paid to have this made were willing to spend a few dollars more than usual.

This kind of mystery dial is done with a very thin sheet of glass or plastic.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

stuffler,mike

Well, it seem that Lafayette watch co. made a lot of those watches:

There once was a Lafayette Watch Co SA based in Neuchâtel/Switzerland.

In 1974 they they came up with Bugs Bunny Watches.
    Moste of these watches have been equipped with a very common 17 jewels swiss manual winding movement.

They have been known for alarm clocks too

On ebay a seller mentioned a japanese based Lafayette Watch Co.

That´s what I could gather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a manual wind lafayette watch with a 1 jewel swiss movement that was a promotional item for monroe shocks that my grandpa got as he was a sales rep for them from the 60's to the 80's. It is branded lafayette watch co swiss made at 6 o'clock and the second hand is a corporate logo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lnbjjf View Post
    I have a manual wind lafayette watch with a 1 jewel swiss movement that was a promotional item for monroe shocks that my grandpa got as he was a sales rep for them from the 60's to the 80's. It is branded lafayette watch co swiss made at 6 o'clock and the second hand is a corporate logo
    Excellent!

And?

Sorry to revive an old post but this was the #1 hit when I searched Google for Lafayette Watch Company.

I searched because the company is mentioned in this article about Snoopy watches:
    COLLECTIBLE TIMEX SNOOPY CHARACTER WATCHES GUIDE | eBay

It says Lafayette made a Snoopy watch with a mystery dial. This corroborates with OP's mystery dial Lafayette.

Also, lnbjjf's mention of a Lafayette promotional watch with a 1J Swiss movement corroborates with my non-Timex Snoopy watch with a 1J Swiss movement.

I now believe my Snoopy watch is very likely a Lafayette.

--DC guy
    Last edited by DC guy; July 9th, 2015 at 23:47.

Never mind, I just opened my Snoopy watch... movement and caseback are both engraved "INTERTIME WATCH INC."

Thread Information