Help with info on this watch colleciton
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with info on this watch colleciton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with info on this watch colleciton

Hi,
    I am new here and I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section.

I have a bunch of watches that were handed down to me a few years ago. I have never really been too interested in them but my interest has grown as of late.
    I would love to know if any of you wise people could help me identify and appraise the watches. I will give the brand name, model and ref number where available of each as well as some pictures. I have searched on Google for them but not all of them come up.

Please let me know if you can help out.
    TIA

Watch 1:
    Brand: Ernest Borel
    Model: ?
    Ref: ?

Name:  20190711_112204.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  2.62 MBName:  20190711_112213.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.42 MB

Watch 2
    Brand: Omega
    Model: Constellation
    Ref: 167.015
    Name:  20190711_104035.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  2.58 MBName:  20190711_104045.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  2.71 MB

Watch 3
    Brand: Tudor
    Model: Oyster Prince
    Ref: 7909
    Name:  20190711_112602.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  2.55 MBName:  20190711_112610.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  2.45 MB

Watch 4
    Brand: Dogma Prima
    Model: Ancre 15 Rubis, Anti Magnetic?
    Ref: 711835
    Name:  20190711_112735.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  2.40 MBName:  20190711_112746.jpg
Size:  2.38 MB

Watch 5
    Brand: Delfin
    Model: Hydromatic
    Ref: 968740
    Name:  20190711_113140.jpg
Size:  2.57 MBName:  20190711_113209.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.62 MB

Re: Help with info on this watch colleciton

Anyone have any knowledge on these?

Try the vintage thread. You might have better luck.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seems you have a lot of info on it already (brand, model ref, etc)

Is there anything specfic you want to know or you're just looking for a bit more info outside of what we can find on google?

In terms of the brands themselves, they're all legit watch brands (ie. not a mall watch type brands)

The ones you probably didn't find a lot of info on, I'm guessing Dogma and Delfin, are most likely Swiss brands that didn't survive the quartz era.
    But by the looks and styling, they both seems to come from an established brand/manufacturer.

I know of Dogma since they've made service watches (I was/am into service/military watches)

As for the appraised value,
    not sure if any of us are qualified appraiser ... I've usually check eBay for the same/similar model and see how much they're (A) being listed for and (B) how much they're recently sold for

I do believe they're all worth quite a bit of money (subjective),
    but none struck me as a collectors' item that are 5 figures in value

but they're all great watches, whoever was collecting those know their watches
    rfortson likes this.

I'll second what Ari said above. All are nice watches and worth keeping/servicing/wearing, but you're not going to retire on them.

It's a great start to a collection and each one has a unique history. When you say they were handed down to you, was it from someone else's collection? Were these the personal watches of a family member? I ask because of the inscription on the Ernest Borel watch. Was that from a family member, or did some just buy the watch already engraved?

Either way, if you are at all interested in watches, I'd say pick your favorite, get it serviced (from a real watchmaker, not a jewelry store or mall kiosk) and wear it. Then move on to the next one. You should expect to pay ~$200-300 for service (maybe less, maybe more) for each one, depending on where you are.

None hold serious value. Personally I would probably only service the Tudor. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Seconding the above comments...if it were me, I'd get that Omega and the Delfin serviced and cleaned up to use. And probably the Tudor. If they are all indeed family pieces, then you may have sentimental reasons to keep them serviced and running.

My 0.02

What's the consensus on polishing/replacing crystals? Is it, like, a big taboo for any particular reason? If not, the Constellation looks like it might have the cleaner dial under the crystal, and could look pretty sharp if the crystal were not a patchwork of scratches.

I consider watch crystals a replaceable service item once they get too bad - just make sure you get exactly the right one. You can still easily get obscure deco crytals from the 1930s & 40s so a middle aged Constellation should be pretty easy to get done.
    FullFlavorPike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    Seems you have a lot of info on it already (brand, model ref, etc)

Is there anything specfic you want to know or you're just looking for a bit more info outside of what we can find on google?

In terms of the brands themselves, they're all legit watch brands (ie. not a mall watch type brands)

The ones you probably didn't find a lot of info on, I'm guessing Dogma and Delfin, are most likely Swiss brands that didn't survive the quartz era.
    But by the looks and styling, they both seems to come from an established brand/manufacturer.

I know of Dogma since they've made service watches (I was/am into service/military watches)

As for the appraised value,
    not sure if any of us are qualified appraiser ... I've usually check eBay for the same/similar model and see how much they're (A) being listed for and (B) how much they're recently sold for

I do believe they're all worth quite a bit of money (subjective),
    but none struck me as a collectors' item that are 5 figures in value

but they're all great watches, whoever was collecting those know their watches
    Thanks for the feedback. I am personally trying to find more info on them especially the Dogma, Delfin and Ernest Borel. The Ernest Borel seems to have a custom face as I cannot seem to find another one like it. Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

All of them were left to me by my late father but unfortunately they were never serviced or really looked after. They all work flawlessly though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information