Help! I've fallen and can't get up. Mido made in Thailand?

Thread: Help! I've fallen and can't get up. Mido made in Thailand?

Help! I've fallen and can't get up. Mido made in Thailand?

I need some advice from the more experienced watch collectors on the forum.

I recently purchased a Mido Commander on eBay from a seller in Singapore. (I know, I know). The seller had very good eBay ratings with no negatives. Before the auction closed I sent the seller a question asking him/her to confirm that the watch was a "genuine" Mido. The auction closed and I sent payment. Right after sending the payment I received a response from the seller to my question that read, "Yes this is a genuine Mido but not manufactured in Switzerland. This is manufactured in a licensed Mido factory from Thailand." There is a photo of the movement that is inside the watch and it very cleary says "Swiss Twentyfive 25 Jewels A/H28'800 Mido Commander." Upon closer inspection I could see a very tiny "T" in front of "Swiss" and after "Made" on the dial of the watch. I believe this indicates that the Mido was made in Thailand. So I believe this is a genuine Mido watch with genuine Swiss parts that has been assembled in Thailand. I am in the process of contacting the seller to see if I can cancel my order. My question is, "Does a recognizable brand like Mido that is made in Thailand have the same value as a Mido that says "Swiss Made?" Maybe I am needlessly worried? I did read the discussion elsewhere on Swiss Made, Swiss Movt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Help! I've fallen and can't get up. Mido made in Thailand?

The "T" means that the luminous paint contains tritium - it has nothing to do with Thailand. For some reason Midos are hugely popular in Asia, but they're from Switzerland (can't say whether they're solely produced in Switzerland, but I'd guess so). Mido is part of the Swatch-group.
    Cheers,
    Micha

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Re: Help! I've fallen and can't get up. Mido made in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by Micha
    The "T" means that the luminous paint contains tritium - it has nothing to do with Thailand. For some reason Midos are hugely popular in Asia, but they're from Switzerland (can't say whether they're solely produced in Switzerland, but I'd guess so). Mido is part of the Swatch-group.
    I think Mido is one of those Swiss brands, like Titoni and Enicar that survived the dark age of quartz by shifting all their marketing efforts to the far east. That's why they have incredible name brand recognition in Asia, but have almost none in the United States, for instance.
    By the way, I have two Midos (including, I believe, the one refered to by jsb806f) and another one on the way-- they're great!
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Thread Information