HELP, Just bought my first watch (Orient Star Classic 2nd hand) but the movement isn't working
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whineboy

Thread: HELP, Just bought my first watch (Orient Star Classic 2nd hand) but the movement isn't working

HELP, Just bought my first watch (Orient Star Classic 2nd hand) but the movement isn't working

Name:  529172.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  293.6 KB
    So I just bought my first automatic watch and it seems not working. Initially, the blue part (oscilating weight?) is stuck under the red part and not moving at all. After I shake it a bit, they are not stuck anymore and the red part now can spin but the blue part only do little movement to no movement at all and the power reserve doesn't fill up. Aren't the red and blue part supposed to be glued together or something? Can I fix this? Or I'm just gonna return this "good" deal asap. The hand winding is still functioning though.

Re: HELP, Just bought my first watch (Orient Star Classic 2nd hand) but the movement isn't working

I'm guessing you purchased this second hand?
    And I'm guessing it's a "good deal" for a reason

If you are not familiar with the working of the watch movement or have a good watchmaker friend who can do a quick fix (for free), I would return it,
    most likely not worth the hassle and we don't know what other issues it may have

Yes, it looks like the weight has fallen off your rotor.

I'd try to return it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Orient rivets or screws on the weights to the rotor... this may be a fake orient
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: HELP, Just bought my first watch (Orient Star Classic 2nd hand) but the movement isn't working

Insist on a refund. The watch does not function as designed. If the dealer does not want to accept the return, then file a claim through the agent you used for payment (PayPal, Visa/MasterCard, etc.).

Refund ahoy! The watch doesn’t work as it should.

Back it goes.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gukgukninja View Post
    So I just bought my first automatic watch and it seems not working. Initially, the blue part (oscilating weight?) is stuck under the red part and not moving at all. After I shake it a bit, they are not stuck anymore and the red part now can spin but the blue part only do little movement to no movement at all and the power reserve doesn't fill up. Aren't the red and blue part supposed to be glued together or something? Can I fix this? Or I'm just gonna return this "good" deal asap. The hand winding is still functioning though.
    Return it if you can. Your analysis is pretty correct, the red part should be fixed to the blue part. In fact, the red part is the weight and the blue part is the set of spokes (sort of) connecting the weight to the hub in the center so that it winds the movement when you move. This can be fixed or you can probably get a new rotor for it, but if you can return it for a refund, I'd take that option.

[oops, did not see that others already diagnosed this ] Looks to me like the weight riveted at the outer edge of the rotor has detached. Compare this:

whineboy

All mechanical, all the time
    ffritz likes this.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

So many dishonest sellers trying to offload the junk they don't want on the 2nd hand market. Send it back for a refund or get paypal / your credit issuer involved if the seller gives you any more trouble than they already have.

Refund, no brainer.