Help with Luminox watches and need general help

Thread: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    447

    Confused Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    I've checked the luminox site and all the authorized dealers are like freeway usage away. (Pretty far.) So I've been going to downtown and searching around watch stores for those watches so I know what I might be buying. I did find a few but of those few some looked very "iffy." The tritium seems to be painted on there. (I mean more of there was no vials but just glow in the dark paint.) Then I saw some that felt "cheap" kind of like those 99 cent store sport watches. Now I'm stuck here wondering "did I pass up a real watch and thought it was a fake." So what do I look for on a fake Luminox besides a painted on tritium?

    (Because I've been watching this forums for a long while I'm not trying to make a fake Luminox I want to buy one. Without taking 5 subway lines to get there.)

    ----
    I'll just say it here... the reason why I'm going after Luminox is that Traser is too expensive and UZI/Smith and Wesson watch from people online say the second hand breaks. Also the reason for tritium is that I have moments where I look at my watch in a dark place after like 3 mins in there my watch won't show anything because the charge has died out. And this is kind of the reason why I stopped wearing watches. And, because of the big phone = better thing happening now I got the Samsung Note 2. And only way to pull that out of my pocket is to stand up. (As of now I look a total fool standing up and sitting back down.)


    ----
    Also if you know any other tritium brands that are good without having the price that would most likely make me sell off all my body parts, please do say. (Don't recommend a digital I can't read those in the sun.)

  2. #2
    Member Perseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    13,573

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    I'm not sure what you're hoping to spend but a Luminox can be purchased for a few hundred bucks on Amazon. I'd also check out Deep Blue and Marathon TSAR if you want to step it up a bit.


  3. #3
    Member sticky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    55,492

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    Welcome to the forum Wolf. Just an idea but is there a nearby watch dealer who can help you out? Some of these can get watches even though they are not strictly ADs for the brand. I know that the AD I have used for most of my watch purchases has said that he can get most brands. Whether the watch would count as coming from a grey dealer I don't know because I've yet to test the offer.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member little big feather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    10,872

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Welcome to the forum Wolf. Just an idea but is there a nearby watch dealer who can help you out? Some of these can get watches even though they are not strictly ADs for the brand. I know that the AD I have used for most of my watch purchases has said that he can get most brands. Whether the watch would count as coming from a grey dealer I don't know because I've yet to test the offer.
    Hey sticky...By definition, if your AD got you a watch that he is not an AD of the brand, from another AD who is....Well you just got a GM watch! LOL
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

  6. #5
    Member Perdendosi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    6,563

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    Hi Wolf--
    I haven't handled any Luminox watches, so I wouldn't be able to tell you about how they're supposed to feel. I will note that some Luminox cases are "carbon-fiber reinforced polymer". That's not going to feel like stainless steel (though should still feel sturdy).

    As far as I can tell, all Luminox watches should have tritium tubes, not just lume paint (though some Luminox do appear to have some lume paint as well as tritium). You didn't tell us where you are (except subways and freeways) but I suppose if you're looking in Chinatown in NYC nothing is real. Spend the time to go to an AD, or buy from Amazon (which has a pretty dang good return policy).

    There are lots of watch brands that have decent lume. Seiko divers don't use tritium, but the Monster line, for example, has lume that is known for lasting hours, not minutes. Deep Blue has divers with tritium, but also has divers with good quality, long lasting lume, too. Lum-Tec has their own patented lume system that apparently works quite well. Look for watches with C3 lume, and read reviews for each brand.


    - Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

    Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,173

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    You should be able to see the tritium tubes set into the dial. There may have also been lume painted on in other areas. Which model were you looking at?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    447

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    You should be able to see the tritium tubes set into the dial. There may have also been lume painted on in other areas. Which model were you looking at?
    Well I saw one in downtown that had glued on fiber optic cable?(Those gun sight neon green cables.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm not sure what you're hoping to spend but a Luminox can be purchased for a few hundred bucks on Amazon. I'd also check out Deep Blue and Marathon TSAR if you want to step it up a bit.
    Well maybe to 500 max. But, I don't want some Rolex wannabe that is very stylish.

    Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Welcome to the forum Wolf. Just an idea but is there a nearby watch dealer who can help you out? Some of these can get watches even though they are not strictly ADs for the brand. I know that the AD I have used for most of my watch purchases has said that he can get most brands. Whether the watch would count as coming from a grey dealer I don't know because I've yet to test the offer.
    I'm in Los Angeles, but all the authorized dealers are like far. And one of the stores I just can't find. And another said they no longer sell luminox or any other tritium watches.
    So far I've found places that are lined up with those Rolex type of watches yet can't find a Luminox or a Traser. I didn't think looking for a watch was this hard...

    Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    Hi Wolf--
    I haven't handled any Luminox watches, so I wouldn't be able to tell you about how they're supposed to feel. I will note that some Luminox cases are "carbon-fiber reinforced polymer". That's not going to feel like stainless steel (though should still feel sturdy).

    As far as I can tell, all Luminox watches should have tritium tubes, not just lume paint (though some Luminox do appear to have some lume paint as well as tritium). You didn't tell us where you are (except subways and freeways) but I suppose if you're looking in Chinatown in NYC nothing is real. Spend the time to go to an AD, or buy from Amazon (which has a pretty dang good return policy).

    There are lots of watch brands that have decent lume. Seiko divers don't use tritium, but the Monster line, for example, has lume that is known for lasting hours, not minutes. Deep Blue has divers with tritium, but also has divers with good quality, long lasting lume, too. Lum-Tec has their own patented lume system that apparently works quite well. Look for watches with C3 lume, and read reviews for each brand.
    Los Angeles.
    This one watch store tried to sell me one that is normally at 350 USD at 840 USD. It was the one will the colorful bezel model. (I forgot the name.)
    I really can't use a glow-in-the-dark type of watch because I hardly let it charge up, because of how I wear my watches under the very long sleeve shirts I have.


    ----

    The reason why I want a Tritium powered watch is that I need to look at a watch that will tell me time any time of the day. I also normally hide my watch under my long sleeve shirt so it doesn't really get charged enough. But I did have a ultimate stupid moment with my other watch at night when I woke up. I saw it lost it glow so I grabbed a my SOG flashlight and gave that watch a charge and gave myself blindness. I do want to avoid this again.

    ----
    Ugh.... I can't seem to find amazon selling luminox from themselves....
    Last edited by WolfBox; October 24th, 2013 at 04:19.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    I own 2 Luminox watches purchased online from an authorized dealer. I can tell you what the real ones look like but I have no idea how creative counterfeiters can get. Some of their watches have painted lume in addition to tritium. The Sentry series comes to mind. The tritium should look like little tubes or strips set into slots in the dial and hands. Yes, many of their watches are "carbon fiber reinforced polymer," a fancy word for fancy plastic. That's not a bad thing :)

    It may also be helpful to note that modern Luminox watches do not have serial numbers.

    Amazon is not an authorized dealer and neither are most of their marketplace vendors. Your best bet is to look up a dealer on the Luminox web site and buy direct from that dealer's web site. Luminox controls its distribution channel rather aggressively and I've heard of lawsuits against "grey market" retailers. I'd be happy to recommend an authorized dealer if you're interested.

    I know buying online does not allow you to inspect the watch or try it on, but most dealers are reputable businesses that will get you the right product and help out if you have any issues. I've found video reviews on youtube to be helpful so search for a particular watch model there and see what you find.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    447

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    Quote Originally Posted by live311 View Post
    I own 2 Luminox watches purchased online from an authorized dealer. I can tell you what the real ones look like but I have no idea how creative counterfeiters can get. Some of their watches have painted lume in addition to tritium. The Sentry series comes to mind. The tritium should look like little tubes or strips set into slots in the dial and hands. Yes, many of their watches are "carbon fiber reinforced polymer," a fancy word for fancy plastic. That's not a bad thing :)

    It may also be helpful to note that modern Luminox watches do not have serial numbers.

    Amazon is not an authorized dealer and neither are most of their marketplace vendors. Your best bet is to look up a dealer on the Luminox web site and buy direct from that dealer's web site. Luminox controls its distribution channel rather aggressively and I've heard of lawsuits against "grey market" retailers. I'd be happy to recommend an authorized dealer if you're interested.

    I know buying online does not allow you to inspect the watch or try it on, but most dealers are reputable businesses that will get you the right product and help out if you have any issues. I've found video reviews on youtube to be helpful so search for a particular watch model there and see what you find.
    Fiber optic cable glued on that doesn't even match the holes.

    How well does the Luminox watches hold up to vibration? I'm an archer and I shoot bows that are about 40lb pull and it creates enough vibrations to unscrew the super tightened screws on my bow.

    Can you listen me some dealers please.

    I've found some online dealers, but I'm not sure how well is their record.
    discountshop
    keepthetime
    Last edited by WolfBox; October 29th, 2013 at 22:04.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6

    Re: Help with Luminox watches and need general help

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfBox View Post
    Fiber optic cable glued on that doesn't even match the holes.

    How well does the Luminox watches hold up to vibration? I'm an archer and I shoot bows that are about 40lb pull and it creates enough vibrations to unscrew the super tightened screws on my bow.

    Can you listen me some dealers please.

    I've found some online dealers, but I'm not sure how well is their record.
    discountshop
    keepthetime
    Neither of those are authorized dealers. The dead giveaway is the dirt cheap price as their stock is surplus scavenged around the world and of questionable origin and condition. I also heard that discountshop is being sued by Luminox. The dealer I used is Welcome to Infinity Marketing - Watches, Luminox, Citizen, iBeam, Mondaine, Traser, RAM Instrument, Stealth, Navy Seal, Chronograph, Diving, Clocks, Travel Clocks, wall clock. The proprietor is Gary Brennan and he has been an authorized Luminox dealer since 1999. He does not stock all models but should have no trouble getting you the one you want.

    I don't have any archery experience but these watches should be tough enough to handle vibrations and impacts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •